• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Personally, since it's your first restoration, I think I'd start out on something small, like an older push mower or maybe even a 2 wheeled David Bradley. I see so many guys wanting to get their feet wet by starting a full blown restoration, but after getting the project apart, and seeing all of the misceallaneous pieces and parts, their mind is blown, and they loose interest, thus not completing the project. Start with something small on the first one, just to see if you are going to like prepping and painting. It's a lot of hard work, time and patience. If it works out that you enjoyed it and want something more, then sell the project that you finished, and use that money to buy something bigger. I'd just hate to see you sink a lot of money into buying something that may not keep your interest.

Whatever you decide to get, I highly recommend that you find a parts manual, and an owners manual for it. Take the time to sit down and read either one or both, from cover to cover, at least twice. Do this before you disassemble your first part. This will aid you in determining what part effect the other, and will ease your time in reassembly.

Good Luck to you, and we hope you do well. Please post pictures of before, during, and after, so that we can follow along with you, and help you out if needed.

Very good advice, thanks

#32 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Since it's your first " restore " maybe a complete good  running tractor of any kind would be a good start . Even if your paying more to get a good orginal that needs just a good cleaning and freash paint  .   Almost every day someone posts ones they just got that might make a great one to restore  

• Pudycatz said thank you

#33 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Personally, since it's your first restoration, I think I'd start out on something small, like an older push mower or maybe even a 2 wheeled David Bradley. I see so many guys wanting to get their feet wet by starting a full blown restoration, but after getting the project apart, and seeing all of the misceallaneous pieces and parts, their mind is blown, and they loose interest, thus not completing the project. Start with something small on the first one, just to see if you are going to like prepping and painting. It's a lot of hard work, time and patience. If it works out that you enjoyed it and want something more, then sell the project that you finished, and use that money to buy something bigger. I'd just hate to see you sink a lot of money into buying something that may not keep your interest.

Whatever you decide to get, I highly recommend that you find a parts manual, and an owners manual for it. Take the time to sit down and read either one or both, from cover to cover, at least twice. Do this before you disassemble your first part. This will aid you in determining what part effect the other, and will ease your time in reassembly.

Good Luck to you, and we hope you do well. Please post pictures of before, during, and after, so that we can follow along with you, and help you out if needed.

Great advice!!!

#34 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 04:10 PM

http://asheville.cra...3935643352.html

Would this wheel horse be a good candidate for restoration? Looks like the motor is not original.

• OkieGt said thank you

#35 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Would this wheel horse be a good candidate for restoration? Looks like the motor is not original.

nice, just FYI that is a lawn tractor, not a garden tractor, but I dont think you care

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 04:43 PM

A simpler tractor to do your fist project with for sure.  Should have an 8hp engine.  Built in 69 & 70.  Supposed to have a Kohler KV181S engine.  It is actually a model Commando V8, V standing for vertical engine.