• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:44 PM

It would help to know if you have any personal attachment to a particular tractor brand. Maybe something your dad used to have.

No personal favorites, Seems like what I see most for sale  in these parts are W.H., Cub Cadets and Sears SS. Thanks for post.

• LilysDad said thank you

#17 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 764 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:54 PM

You can take my Wheel Horse 857 and restore this winter. Take your time, but I need it back next spring. Kidding aside, lots of great advise here. What will you use the the tractor for when it's done ?

#18 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:04 PM

What will you use the the tractor for when it's done ?

Probably just to ride over to neighbors and back. With it being my first restoration i'll be hesitant to do anything else.

Edited by Pudycatz, August 19, 2013 - 07:13 PM.

• pharmer said thank you

#19 pharmer ONLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 764 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Probably just to ride over to neighbors and back. If I invest my time to restore and it comes out satisfactory I wont work it.

So that opens you up to all sorts of fun things
  • Pudycatz said thank you

#20 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:19 PM

sears.jpg

To much for a first time project? Price seems ok..... asking $175.00

Edited by Pudycatz, August 19, 2013 - 07:20 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,920 Thanks
  • 29,282 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:38 PM

attachicon.gifsears.jpg

Anything tecumseh, verify spark before you buy IMHO
Lets assume no spark... Another $150 in that (barring any other engine issues) and then there are other issues (what kinda lift is that? Where's the fender?)

On the upside, if the plow is included, that's worth $100+ in usable condition in many places
On the downside, it's a hydro and those are $$$ repair jobs... And rarer too.

All things considered, it would be worthy of restoration (and those are nice colors too :D)

#22 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,139 Thanks
  • 1,192 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'd vote for the wheelhorse. That's a 1966 or 1967 856 or 857 short wheel base standard geared transmission with a plow. And it has a kohler in it. That's a cast iron machine and simple. My next pick would be any gear driven Cub Cadet before the ones with four numbers. The sears? Not so much.

Joe
  • MH81 and Pudycatz have said thanks

#23 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:54 PM

OK, he asked for a, what I believe to be, an easy, get my feet wet, restoration with plenty of parts available at a reasonable price. You don't tell a newbie to jump into hydraulics, belts, tensioner's and a myriad of other distractions at the gitgo.. A nice simple tractor that, in the future, with acquired restoration experience he can start adding all the accessories. To me, and I own a bunch of different brands, A cub cadet, shaft driven would be right up his alley. Sure an early Wheel horse would almost be as good.

Kind of why I suggested the Wizard very simple basic tractor that shared a lot of parts with other GTs of the era, and it was unusual. Many older store brand tractors shared a lot of parts and varied mainly in sheet metal.  I checked craigslist postings in several areas of the posters state of Tennessee, and MY GOSH, the prices for old GTs was incredible, 1000-2000 for worn out hunks, their nuts. It would be cheaper to drive to Kentucky

Edited by OkieGt, August 19, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM

attachicon.gifsears.jpg

I saw that little Sears on Memphis CL pretty good price, you really have to go and look it over, try to be discriminating and find one that seems mechanically sound

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,472 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:58 PM

You have been given a lot of great info. I say take you time and look at CraigsList and Evelbay and find a brand and model that really looks cool to you. In your part of the world, there is every brand and model for sale within 150 miles of you. Their all good models, so it's really up to you and your wallet.

• OkieGt and Pudycatz have said thanks

#26 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 45 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I would go for a first timer either the wheelhorse 753 or the 854 the reason being is there are plenty of parts out there and you cant go wrong with the 7 or 8hp kohler, they are bullet proof, and very simple to work on. If its your first time painting there is a couple of small parts to learn on before you tackle the hood. If you take your time you can have it done in 3/4 months no problem.
The very early cubs ( pre 65) are a good choice but more complicated to work on but still a simple machine, and parts are available.
I've restored a few in my time and by far the early WH was easiest by far.
  • Rock farmer and Pudycatz have said thanks

#27 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I checked craigslist postings in several areas of the posters state of Tennessee, and MY GOSH, the prices for old GTs was incredible, 1000-2000 for worn out hunks, their nuts. It would be cheaper to drive to Kentucky

Agreed

• OkieGt said thank you

#28 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:40 PM

I've messed with many and feel the Wheelhorse is easier to work on and parts fit between many models and shows always have parts fot them. I'm from IN which is home of Horse, maybe not so popular down your way?  John Deere and IH or Cub Cadet are nationwide and at all the swap meets and shows, but run more money. Kohler engines are tougher, the Briggs, some Tecumsa  are hard to find parts for. Case is another easy to fix and find brand, many parts interchange again on those models. 

well said!

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Agreed

I gravitated to the models that I thought were tough and pretty, with very low prduction numbers, Like the Massey MF14/16s, and Allis 416, BUT you better get a good one or have a parts tractor, cause it will get expensive otherwise

#30 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,576 Thanks
  • 2,562 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Personally, since it's your first restoration, I think I'd start out on something small, like an older push mower or maybe even a 2 wheeled David Bradley. I see so many guys wanting to get their feet wet by starting a full blown restoration, but after getting the project apart, and seeing all of the misceallaneous pieces and parts, their mind is blown, and they loose interest, thus not completing the project. Start with something small on the first one, just to see if you are going to like prepping and painting. It's a lot of hard work, time and patience. If it works out that you enjoyed it and want something more, then sell the project that you finished, and use that money to buy something bigger. I'd just hate to see you sink a lot of money into buying something that may not keep your interest.

Whatever you decide to get, I highly recommend that you find a parts manual, and an owners manual for it. Take the time to sit down and read either one or both, from cover to cover, at least twice. Do this before you disassemble your first part. This will aid you in determining what part effect the other, and will ease your time in reassembly.

Good Luck to you, and we hope you do well. Please post pictures of before, during, and after, so that we can follow along with you, and help you out if needed.

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 20, 2013 - 09:03 AM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks