• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:05 PM

I find myself absorbed on this forum reading and looking at all I can. I'm am truly fascinated. I would like for you to weigh in on the brand and model that would make a good first restoration project for a novice. I've got the GT bug bad. I'm considering this for a fall/winter project. Maybe start with something with plenty of available parts. All suggestions are appreciated. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:57 PM

I would start with something like a Bolens or a Wheel Horse, both are STOUT tractors with low production numbers, but not too low, Both have lots of attachments and a great following as well. I like early to late 70s models as they had hydro transmissions as well as hydraulic lifts and many other modern conveniences as well as bigger attachments. Many others prefer very old GTs that were the beginning of the garden tractor trend and while they have a great historic value, I dont always think they are valued as highly ($$$$) as say a Wheel Horse GT14 or a Bolens 1886/HT18

• Pudycatz said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:58 PM

I think everybody will have a different answer depending on their favorite brand.

If you haven't aquired one yet look for something complete in running and operational condition to help make things easier the first time around.

I'd go with a Bolens 1050 personally. :D  Lots of them out there yet for parts if needed.

• OkieGt and Pudycatz have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think everybody will have a different answer depending on their favorite brand.

If you haven't aquired one yet look for something complete in running and operational condition to help make things easier the first time around.

I'd go with a Bolens 1050 personally. :D  Lots of them out there yet for parts if needed.

Good choice, they made quite a few of those. First you might want to ask yourself, do you want hydro or geared, what engine do you want/prefer, parts tend to be higher on Wisconsin, Tecumseh, and Briggs than Kohler, so that may be a factor. and what will you be using the tractor for, parades or work, or both

#5 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Would you think this would be a good starter project. Everything works. Price $375.00

wheel horse.jpg

• OkieGt said thank you

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd add Cub Cadet and Sears to the list as well.

One thing to consider is what brand(s) was popular in your area.  It would make your search a lot easier.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'd add Cub Cadet and Sears to the list as well.

One thing to consider is what brand(s) was popular in your area.  It would make your search a lot easier.

Look at what seems to be abundant in your area. I will warn you that some versions of green or red actually seem to be gold plated underneath. (Expensive parts wise)

Sears is a good tractor, SS series well built and respectable.implements getting harder to find tho.

Cub, WH, and JD MF, all had their own attachments, but with the sleeve hitch there were some overlapping availability to rear implements and thus more out there now.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Would you think this would be a good starter project. Everything works. Price $375.00

attachicon.gifwheel horse.jpg

That's a nice looking rig, be better if there is a slot or sleeve hitch hiding behind it.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:06 PM

attachicon.gifwheel horse.jpg

You need to find out if it is original or has all the orginal parts, engine etc. I would NEVEr buy ANY GT on price, other wise you end up with junk, rollers, and unoriginal parts tractors., For a little more you can find unmolested originals

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:09 PM

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a machine that looks appealing to you and needs work, but not a complete tired iron replacement job.  It is easy to get frustrated on your first one of anything.  Buy something that parts are easy to buy for and not terribly bank breaking. 

Ben W.

• KennyP, OkieGt and Pudycatz have said thanks

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:26 PM

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a machine that looks appealing to you and needs work, but not a complete tired iron replacement job.  It is easy to get frustrated on your first one of anything.  Buy something that parts are easy to buy for and not terribly bank breaking. 

Ben W.

GREAT advice, Thanks

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:33 PM

heres a good prospect, these had tons of attacments and those attachments were very reasonable

http://shoals.craigs...3935633875.html

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I agree with the folks who said Bolens or Wheel Horse,if (that's a big if) they are common in your area. The reason's being

1.They are easy to find parts for. (Where do you even find parts for a Wizard???)

2. They are easy to disassemble and reassemble. Simple for a beginner to work on and study.

3. There are a lot of folks on here who are knowledgeable about them.

There are folks on here who will suggest other brands. I would just wish they ask themselves if it fits all these criteria.

My personal favorite is WH. Either '73 or newer because they share all the same attachments, or the older round hood models because they are smaller and simpler. A lot of the parts on the round hoods can be bought at a hardware store or hand fabricated.

It would help to know if you have any personal attachment to a particular tractor brand. Maybe something your dad used to have.

#14 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:06 PM

OK, he asked for a, what I believe to be, an easy, get my feet wet, restoration with plenty of parts available at a reasonable price. You don't tell a newbie to jump into hydraulics, belts, tensioner's and a myriad of other distractions at the gitgo.. A nice simple tractor that, in the future, with acquired restoration experience he can start adding all the accessories. To me, and I own a bunch of different brands, A cub cadet, shaft driven would be right up his alley. Sure an early Wheel horse would almost be as good.

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I've messed with many and feel the Wheelhorse is easier to work on and parts fit between many models and shows always have parts fot them. I'm from IN which is home of Horse, maybe not so popular down your way?  John Deere and IH or Cub Cadet are nationwide and at all the swap meets and shows, but run more money. Kohler engines are tougher, the Briggs, some Tecumsa  are hard to find parts for. Case is another easy to fix and find brand, many parts interchange again on those models.