#1 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:58 AM

So my wife & I were sitting in the living room last night and I heard this weird sound..  It was a deep and loud rumble..  (kinda like when her Mother flies in on her broom! :wallbanging: )..

Then I heard it a few more times..  The dog started barking and fussing so we looked out the window and a bunch of cars were parked in my and the neighbor's lawns..  What gives??  So we went outside to see this thing landing across the street:

IMG_1126 small.jpg

IMG_1128 small.jpg

IMG_1130 small.jpg

IMG_1133 small.jpg

IMG_1134 small.jpg

That was pretty neat to watch that thing land!!  Don't see that very often!! :rocker2:

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:14 AM

They land around here once in a while too and it seems to be quite a project to get everything taken apart and into the chase trucks.

A little too close to those power lines for my comfort. Hope it wasn't windy there at the time.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Those always look so peaceful and colorful when they are floating around on a nice summer day. I'm tempted to go for a ride in one!

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:31 AM

It sounds like you had a pretty good landing experience.  They are nice to watch float by out by my parents place.

I was at my parents place and a balloon landed there.  The chase trucks drove all over the lawn, the people in the balloon were pretty nice, but the helpers were rude and never apologized for making ruts in the lawn that you know who had to repair.  They acted like I was in their way as I watched the process.  As far as I was concerned, I had enough balloon landings.

I have heard that balloonists used to carry champagne and give a bottle to the disturbed land owner upon landing.  Must just be a rumor......

• twostep, LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,990 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Doris, my wife, and I made a ride w/ a hot air balloon six years ago. It was a gift from my brother to our silver wedding anniversary - and it was real great. It`s a silent drive, balloons don't fly, and at the end of the ride, we got "new" names. Here's my: Landgraf Wolfgang, begeisterder Aeronaut zu nächtlicher Fahrt von Holzhausen nach Langenthal :D

• Utah Smitty, LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:55 AM

I had the family up to my place one time. We were out in the back yard and kept hearing the sound of a dragon roaring. It was a hot air balloon coming in just over the tree tops . Could not see it until it was just over us. The woman running it asks if its ok to land in the field behind me. I say sure ( it's not my field). She offered champagne or non-alcohol wine. We took the champagne! I think she had that non-alcohol wine for a long time!

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, August 19, 2013 - 10:58 AM.

• twostep, LilysDad and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I bet that would be quite an experience to be sitting there then suddenly have a balloon drop in on you.  They wouldn't do very good around here, we have way to many trees for them to land.

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:01 AM

It sounds like you had a pretty good landing experience.  They are nice to watch float by out by my parents place.

I was at my parents place and a balloon landed there.  The chase trucks drove all over the lawn, the people in the balloon were pretty nice, but the helpers were rude and never apologized for making ruts in the lawn that you know who had to repair.  They acted like I was in their way as I watched the process.  As far as I was concerned, I had enough balloon landings.

I have heard that balloonists used to carry champagne and give a bottle to the disturbed land owner upon landing.  Must just be a rumor......

I would have told them thanks for my new balloon and get the hell off of my property. I don't take well to uninvited guests acting like they run the place.

• daytime dave and HydroHarold have said thanks

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Doris, my wife, and I made a ride w/ a hot air balloon six years ago. It was a gift from my brother to our silver wedding anniversary - and it was real great. It`s a silent drive, balloons don't fly, and at the end of the ride, we got "new" names. Here's my: Landgraf Wolfgang, begeisterder Aeronaut zu nächtlicher Fahrt von Holzhausen nach Langenthal :D

So, I forget, is a Landgraf a baron, or an earl???

Smitty

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#10 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:54 PM

That's pretty neat!    Dave, I'd be much like Uncle Willie if they made ruts in my lawn, and this comes from several years spent as a co- crew chief on a ballon chase team.  

The pilot would make every effort to land near a road, driveway, or means of egress for any chase vehicle.   We would make every effort possible to be granted permission to bring a vehicle, on anyone's private  property, and would never, ever drive on a lawn.....  We tried to land near parks and the like.

We were refused access with the chase truck once,  the ballon landed out  in a farmfield. That made for a lot of work carrying that basket out by hand, but we respected the owners wishes.

Just as an aside, the huge burst of flame of the burner(s) always seem to set off all the dogs in a neighborhood while flying over. Must be something they all like to bark at LOL

• daytime dave said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,637 Thanks
  • 7,672 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Once I was over at Lake Shabbona fishing one evening when a large balloon slowly rose up from behind the trees across the lake. At the same time a guy in a hang glider was making circles around the gas bag.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:07 PM

At the same time a guy in a hang glider was making circles around the gas bag.

I didn't remember standing there, but maybe I was.

Ben W.

• KennyP, LilysDad and marlboro180 have said thanks

#13 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:25 PM

LOL Ben!

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I would have told them thanks for my new balloon and get the hell off of my property. I don't take well to uninvited guests acting like they run the place.

At the time, I responded as I was raised and was polite in the face of rudeness.  Now, I'd have had a few salty phrases and waved with one finger, much like I did on the lake this weekend when a moron cut across my path taking his time, towing his family on a tube.

That's pretty neat!    Dave, I'd be much like Uncle Willie if they made ruts in my lawn, and this comes from several years spent as a co- crew chief on a ballon chase team.  

The pilot would make every effort to land near a road, driveway, or means of egress for any chase vehicle.   We would make every effort possible to be granted permission to bring a vehicle, on anyone's private  property, and would never, ever drive on a lawn.....  We tried to land near parks and the like.

We were refused access with the chase truck once,  the ballon landed out  in a farmfield. That made for a lot of work carrying that basket out by hand, but we respected the owners wishes.

Just as an aside, the huge burst of flame of the burner(s) always seem to set off all the dogs in a neighborhood while flying over. Must be something they all like to bark at LOL

You sir, would be welcome to land in my proximity anytime.

Edited by daytime dave, August 19, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Staying out at the Folk's place in S Utah, one morning I kept hearing that same "roaring" sound right outside the window.  Their house was on the top of a ridge overlooking the valley and this basket of tourists were just about looking in the window at me.  I got up and went to the window and this "chap" sez, "Well, look who's up early this morning!"  The basket was about 15' from and even with the window.  He gained altitude quickly after I said I was going to go out and get the garden hose.  The basketeers all laughed, but if I wasn't just in me undies I'd have run out there and wet on them all! 

At least the ultralite flying folks don't do that kind of rude thing, they just face plant out on the road and ask you to call the ambulance... (But, that's another story...)