• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dustnrust OFFLINE  

dustnrust
  • Member No: 30690
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:59 AM

I figured I'd throw this deal out here before making a decision on it.

I stopped at a yard sale here over the weekend, the guy had an old JD tractor out for sale along with a bunch of other items. I got to talking to him for a bit and he said he's also got a huge pile of Bolens Large frame stuff for sale as a lot, so I took a look out back in his chicken coop.
The lot includes a pair of 1250 tractors,

one with a loader, one with a tiller, neither look to have seen the light of day in years.

Plus a load of attachments, a 3pt disc, dirt plow, snow plow, snow blower, a new set of ag tires, a new set of turf tires on 23-12-12 wheels, and a spare complete motor. The 1250 with plow was pretty clean but looks to have been sitting for ages, the same for the one with a tiller on it. Both are complete.

He's asking $3500 cash for the lot but I suppose he may take less.

I was thinking the price was nuts at first but when I started to price out all the items separate it sounded like a hell of a deal. The cheapest loader I found for sale was $1500 alone, not to mention all the rest of the stuff, and the two tractors.

he won't separate any of it.

The 1250 felt tight and didn't look like its seen much use over the years. He didn't have any decks though but I'm more interested in these for garden use. I don't need a big mower.

The way I see it is like this,

$1500 for the Johnson loader, with original weight box

$400 for the tiller,

$100 for the dirt plow,

$100 for the disc

$100 for the snow plow

$100 for the snow blower

$800 for the 1250 tractor

$500 for the second tractor

$100 for the spare motor

$250 for the two new 23-12-12 turf tires and rims

$300 for the two ag tires on 15" rims

He's also got another set of 23-12-12 ag tires to go with the deal at his asking price.

There's also a few odds and ends from what appears to have been another 1250 tractor that he parted out, a spare fender pan, hood, rims, front wheels, axle, dash, etc.

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:12 AM

The way I see it is like this,

$1500 for the Johnson loader, with original weight box

$400 for the tiller,

$100 for the dirt plow,

$100 for the disc

$100 for the snow plow

$100 for the snow blower

$800 for the 1250 tractor

$500 for the second tractor

$100 for the spare motor

$250 for the two new 23-12-12 turf tires and rims

$300 for the two ag tires on 15" rims

He's also got another set of 23-12-12 ag tires to go with the deal at his asking price.

There's also a few odds and ends from what appears to have been another 1250 tractor that he parted out, a spare fender pan, hood, rims, front wheels, axle, dash, etc.

Owning it all, priceless!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:10 AM

A big score for someone who'd like to get a big batch of large frame stuff. Lot's of attachments!

• Trav1s said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Trying to by it all in one shot it is over priced.

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'd take a stab at it if I was closer--figure it'd be spare parts for my 1886--plus I'd love to have the loader.  Any chance you could get some pictures of it and post them?  That would at least give me an idea as to how it mounts on the tractor, etc.

I'd also like to have the AG tires on 15" rims... I have 10" tires on 12" rims right now and they're too wide to use in my garden...

Regards,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 19, 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#6 dustnrust OFFLINE  

dustnrust
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 02:48 AM

I'm sort of torn between whether to buy it all and part it out, just keeping one tractor with a tiller and loader on it, or to just keep looking for a something bigger.

I was originally looking for and sort of trying to justify buying a small diesel utility tractor but I've only got 1/2 acre or so of land that I garden. Its more or less to help clear snow and maintain the driveway. The loader would come in handy but would it be enough for moving dirt around?

I was pretty much planning on spending $4000 for the tractor, then saving and buying my attachments, mainly a small grader, and a rear tiller. The way those two are set up is that the 1250 with the loader is a dedicated loader with a weight box, the other one has the tiller on it now. There's only one 3 point hitch. I'd be looking at weighting down the rear end of the 1250 w/loader and being able to run the tiller on that one. I'd get the other one running and sell it off. The second machine isn't super clean but its certainly usable and complete. The one with the loader is pretty clean, just being dusty for the most part. I'd also sell the two new turf tires on the 12" rims and mount up the pair of AG tires.

I'd also need to borrow a huge trailer to go get it all, or make many trips.

I didn't take any pics, I will if I get back there to buy them all, but I just haven't decided yet.

I wasn't really looking for a big garden tractor, and having a diesel means I already have a fuel supply here since I can run #2 fuel oil. Gas would mean chasing after fuel with a jug and if its not used often enough, I'd be dealing with stale fuel and varnished carbs.

How much work will a Johnson Loader do?

#7 dustnrust OFFLINE  

dustnrust
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:18 PM

I saw this on another forum, I'm guessing its the same seller:

http://www.mytractor...d=1#post3538714

I'm a bit surprised that no one has jumped on the deal, but I suppose I'm not the only one tight on cash these days.

I've been looking for a large frame with a tiller but the best prices I've seen so far were either for total junk or they were priced higher than the whole lot here. I was close to pulling the trigger on the lot the day I saw it but between not having the means to store or move it right away were a big issue. I have room for one machine, not two and a truck load of spare parts and attachments. If I left them outdoors here they would no doubt walk away.

That loader would be nice, even on another model but I'm not sure if he'll let it go separate or not, it didn't sound like it but I may make an offer anyhow.

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I saw this on another forum, I'm guessing its the same seller:

http://www.mytractor...d=1#post3538714

I'm a bit surprised that no one has jumped on the deal, but I suppose I'm not the only one tight on cash these days.

I've been looking for a large frame with a tiller but the best prices I've seen so far were either for total junk or they were priced higher than the whole lot here. I was close to pulling the trigger on the lot the day I saw it but between not having the means to store or move it right away were a big issue. I have room for one machine, not two and a truck load of spare parts and attachments. If I left them outdoors here they would no doubt walk away.

That loader would be nice, even on another model but I'm not sure if he'll let it go separate or not, it didn't sound like it but I may make an offer anyhow.

If it was a deal dont you think some one would buy if it was....

#9 dustnrust OFFLINE  

dustnrust
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:36 PM

What would a lot like that be worth?

I've looked at several large frame machines over the past few years and have yet to see a single complete machine that even looked half way maintained or not totally rusted away for under a grand. Let alone finding one with a single cylinder engine.

There's plenty of twin cylinder models and tube frames but the 1250 through 1477 models are hard to find in nice shape.

Not running doesn't bother me so long as not running don't mean it sat outdoors for 40 years and seized up. The 1250 I looked at was nice, it just looked like something that got parked and never touched again. I'd venture to guess that with a new battery and a carb cleaning it would run fine. The thing don't look like its been through the mill so to speak. Even the 1455, which is more a used machine, doesn't look bad, None of the attachments really showed any wear at all.

I just don't have $3800 cash to spend right now.

The way I'd look at it is that to buy something new in that size class I'd be spending $10K or more plus attachments for a new one. For half of that or less someone would be all set with that lot.

I looked at a well used three point disc back in the spring, it was at an auction, two shafts were rusted seized, and several discs were cracked and loose, it went for $400, I bailed out at $200. A Brinly plow went for $120 minus part of the share.

I also watched a tube frame snow plow sell for $140 that was well worn. I watched a badly rusted up loader sell for $1350 without its mounts or pump at another sale, and a complete Johnson loader off a smaller machine sell for $1800 in so-so shape.

If the lot of items were rough or looked like old neglected equipment I could see it selling cheap but the stuff he's got was pretty clean.

I'd love to go in there and get the whole lot for $500 but the way I see it is that if it were all mine, I'd not let it go for any amount of money.  The seller may take less, but I don't have the cash to put in my hand to go see right now. I just bought myself a few other toys and my big buys for this year are over. (Just dumped $7500 on a new outboard motor).

If I had seen this lot before buying the motor, the motor would have waited another year.

#10 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I listed and sold my 1250,  not running with no attachments for $500 on CL last fall, it wasn't listed for more than a few hours when it sold. It was basically complete but the PTO stuff was all missing and it hadn't run in decades. It looked ok but was well surface rusted. The guy that bought it needed the front end and hydro from it and though it a bargain to get the whole tractor.

It took me years to find a decent rear tiller for my 1455, I ended up buying several broken one's for $100 and $150 each, then I finally found one in working order for $350 on CL in PA. I then had to shell out $200 for a drive shaft and linkage.
When you need it, those parts just aren't out there or those who have them want a fortune for them.
Bolens is nothing like other brands, parts cost more and are harder to find. Most of my machines are Simplicity or JD, those parts are all over around here.

I'd give $1200 any day for a Johnson Loader, regardless of what model it is. I'd like to retrofit one onto my Simplicity 7119H.

I had to give $250 for a clean used plow for my sleeve hitch, I suppose a three point cat O would be higher yet, even more for a rear disc.
The op's prices look more than fair to me, if not cheap, I just wish I had more cash to play with and a lot more room here. Right now I've got three dozen tractors outback and no room for any more. Besides, mine all sit outdoors, from the sounds of it, it would be a shame to put that 1250 outdoors after all these years.