• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:12 PM

I had a friend give me a John Deere R Model Ground Driven manure spreader.  I am wanting the chain and drive system for a project that I am dreaming up.  I may use part of the frame but still havent decided if it will work the way I want it to.  I am going to convert the ground drive system to a hydraulic drive to fit my intended use.  Now comes the quandary,  the whole thing is intact for the most part but has been sitting for many years and some of the parts are rusted stiff. ALL of the wood have pretty much rotted away but the frame is in pretty damn good shape consider the age of it. I have priced the new chain and they are PROUD of that stuff.  If I were to buy enough chain to completely replace the old one, I am looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.00 and that might be a project killer.  I am wondering what you guys think might be the best way to save the old chain.  The chain seems to be in pretty good physical condition other than the links being rusted together.  I could probably spend some time and get the chain disassembled but the cleaning-resoration process is what I have questions about.

SO.............fire away your suggestions .............

Here is a link to the chain that I am talking about......Each link is removable on its own...hence the name detachable chain.

http://shop.farmchai...-COIL-T5500.htm

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:29 PM

If it were mine, and I just had to save it... I would get it off the machine & either soak it in kerosene or maybe try electrolysis on it.

Fwiw, urine and manure have some pretty potent stuff in it... It will continue to rust even after proper cleaning prep and paint. Just keep that in mind as you repurpose.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Old chain is a safety hazard.  Once it is rusting, it is going down the steep incline to the scrapper.  Keep that in mind.  I have salvaged a couple chains for unloader wagons, and every time I wished I had bought a new one just because it breaks as often as it works.

I would take it out and soak it in a good solvent like Alan suggested, then beat the heck out of it on gravel.  Use it like a whip... with no one around so that if it gives way your insurance won't go up.  I have also cleaned old chain by hooking it to a truck and driving down a road.  That works best on link chain, not this kind of stuff.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I have also cleaned old chain by hooking it to a truck and driving down a road.  That works best on link chain, not this kind of stuff.

Ben W.

The things I learn on here!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:22 PM

The things I learn on here!

I find dirt roads are best for this. The dirt kinda "sand blasts" between.
  • robert_p43 said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I find dirt roads are best for this. The dirt kinda "sand blasts" between.

Dirt roads will even polish up a chain.  Asphalt scuffs it up too much. 

My uncle ripped out a sign cleaning chain.  He hit a turn a bit to hard, and the chain did a whiplash around a stop sign on the end of his dirt lane and tore post in two off the stand. 

Ben W.

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think that I am going to go and pick up the chain and see IF I can get it disassembled and go from there.  If I can get it take apart, I think I can get it cleaned up enough to be usable.  If it last a year or so, I will be tickled pink, I just cant afford to run out and buy a new chain right now. I have come up with several ways to try and clean it so we shall see what happens in the next couple of weeks.  IF it all works out........this little project should keep me busy through the winter and be ready to use next spring! 

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I was told of a product called ROCK IT OIL BY A FRIEND HE SAID IT WORKED WONDERS NOT CHEAP AT 10.00 A SPRAY CAN THANKS HANKG

#9 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Will have to go by HD and see if I can find some and give it a try.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Back many years ago we used to take frozen, rusted Motorcycle chains put them in a pot of oil & ATF.  Then put the pot on a hot plate on low and let it sit for a few day's.  Worked like a champ.

• Texas Deere and Horse and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#11 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yep. ATF is what you want to use. Soak the chain in it then wire brush to knock off the rust, repeat as necessary.

#12 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:41 AM

Thanks guys..............this has been kind of put on the back burner for right now.  TOO MANY Irons in the fire at the moment.