• image.jpg

• tinbender7, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Good Deal. Nice herd too. The one that is farthest back looks very interesting. Is it a 195? Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#3 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:20 PM

That's a Jacobsen 53500. Same thing as the Ford 195. Runs great, just smokes like a California wild fire!

Joe
  • tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:32 PM

That's a Jacobsen 53500. Same thing as the Ford 195. Runs great, just smokes like a California wild fire!

Joe

Try adding Marvel Mystery oil to the gasoline in the 53500. Half an ounce per gallon of gas will clean the combustion chambers and piston ring groves. Over the last 46 years I've saved many car, truck, and tractor engines that way. Also check your breather and then the carb mixtures. Good Luck, Rick
  • tinbender7, Rock farmer and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Might add a bit of the MMO to the oil also! Then it cleans both sides of the combustion chamber.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:01 AM

I did the marvel mystery oil in the gas and the crankcase. Did not help. Next on my list is a heavier grade of oil.

Joe
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:18 PM

It needs a rebuild . My buddy has that engine in  Wheel horse d 180 and it smoked terrible. Took it apart and found the piston and rings on one side toasted.

• KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:09 PM

When I picked this up the seller told me it wouldn't run above idle. I figured fuel supply problem. As we're loading it into my truck he says " I run two stroke fuel in it". I thought to myself "never heard of two stroke fuel?". When I got it home I looked in the tank and see oil in the gas! Now I know what he meant! Fuel filter was black. Oil dripping from carb. I drained the tank, replaced the filter and cleaned the carb. Still did not run right. Would only run at full rpm's and full choke. It has a walbro carb. I'm thinking maybe change out the carb. Then I'm thinking weak spark would also produce the same result.
So, I start looking at the ignition. New coil. Someone added ground wires here there and everywhere! Then I checked the condenser! Broken wire. Fix that and it runs good, idles down no choke needed! The reason the condenser wire broke was because the coil is bouncing all over the place! The reason the coil was bouncing all over the place was because it wasn't screwed to the head like it should have been! Someone couldn't get the tins aligned, so they used self tapping sheet metal screws and hung the coil off the side tin!
When I took the tins off I found turquoise paint? Maybe a panzer engine? And the bad news is I saw an oil leak at the head gasket. I'm sure it needs to be de-carbed anyway!

The nice thing about this machine is the plastic mounts for the side panels are all there and good. And, it has a tunnel cover and a dash panel with only one crack in them! It came with no hour meter or hydro lift. So, those are not punched out. It may want to donate those to its big brother!

Joe

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:15 PM

It needs a rebuild . My buddy has that engine in  Wheel horse d 180 and it smoked terrible. Took it apart and found the piston and rings on one side toasted.

I pulled the heads off de-carbed them, and the pistons seemed tight with no scoring on the cylinder walls. Compression test was good at 116 pounds per cylinder. Still a remote possibility of a bad carb. Bad valve sleeve. Or, rings. If heavier oil doesn't help then I'll pull the engine.

Joe

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:34 PM

I did the marvel mystery oil in the gas and the crankcase. Did not help. Next on my list is a heavier grade of oil.

Joe

The MMO takes time. Give it a couple of months with regular use. Good Luck, Rick

#11 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 12:02 AM

Dang Joe nice score there.....good looking gt .........is it just me or do the grill's of the closed sided jakes look like they belong in an old video game, like pac-man LMAO.  That's not a cub I see in the back ground is it   :watching_you:    might have to revoke your Ford GT super secret club status. LOL  Very nice find, is that a stock seat for the jakes or an after market seat it'd look great on my 165.......BIG AND PLUSH SEAT for a BIG and plush behind

Edited by T Guiles, August 20, 2013 - 12:06 AM.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#12 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Dang Joe nice score there.....good looking gt .........is it just me or do the grill's of the closed sided jakes look like they belong in an old video game, like pac-man LMAO.  
I agree! Some one of those old games. I just can't quite recall which one!

That's not a cub I see in the back ground is it   :watching_you:    might have to revoke your Ford GT super secret club status. LOL  
It is! Plus I got two simplicitys. And a herd of wheel horses!

Very nice find, is that a stock seat for the jakes or an after market seat it'd look great on my 165.......BIG AND PLUSH SEAT for a BIG and plush behind

That's what they call the boat seat! Rather big and ugly! But, comfortable enough! I understand its the cheapest new Seat you can get.

Joe
  • T Guiles said thank you

#13 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM

If you don't tell anyone I'll let you in on a secret...I've got a Craftsman 19.5 I do the mowing with and the Fords are just for pulling logs ,hauling,and so on...I am really starting to dig the red Cub's, the old A.C's and the Massey's.....so many cool gt's. I figured I'd bust on ya a little bit and get a laugh or two...That's a 400 dollar tractor all day long out here. Great find

• Rock farmer said thank you

#14 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:46 PM

If you don't tell anyone I'll let you in on a secret...I've got a Craftsman 19.5 I do the mowing with and the Fords are just for pulling logs ,hauling,and so on...I am really starting to dig the red Cub's, the old A.C's and the Massey's.....so many cool gt's. I figured I'd bust on ya a little bit and get a laugh or two...That's a 400 dollar tractor all day long out here. Great find

Now, I'll let You in on a little secret. That 42" Jacobsen mower deck is the best mower I own!

You should get yourself one!

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, August 20, 2013 - 07:47 PM.

• T Guiles said thank you

#15 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:04 PM

So today I did a little more tinkering on this tractor.. I adjusted the seat further back. Removed the tunnel cover and, lubed things up under there. When I got it it had high range but, no low range. Brake peddle and hydro peddle we're creaky. So I cleaned what I could and sprayed anything that looked like it should move. All the fins on the hydro cooling fan are busted. The hydro is caked with sludge. But, it does have a removable filter! So, fluid change, oil and hydro, tune up, new air filter. And the steering box needs to be adjusted. I have to do a new head gasket. And then I'm on to adding some lights.

This tractor has the quietest hydro of all my tractors! If it weren't for the engine running I think this one would be quieter than an electric!
When I saw it on Craig's list, I thought I don't need it. But, if I let it go by I'd regret it later! I'm glad I got it! Well worth the $200! And no long trip to get it. The next one I buy will probably be a four hour trip!

Joe
  • tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks