Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can I Remove A Hydro Rearend And Replace With A Transaxle?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Swinny OFFLINE  

Swinny
  • Member No: 44946
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks a lot you all have pointed me in the right direction now I know where to start.
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Then why aren't Ariens the sought after puller?

They are hydros for one, and two very few of them compared to Cubs and Deere's

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Same reason most run a Kohler, lots of aftermarket parts  Seeing as in stock form their so weak and easily busted

easily busted as in running 4,000+rpm, pulling a sled, not weak and easliy busted if used for its intended purpose, same reason why most men dont make love to 800 lb gorillas, their weak and easily busted.

Edited by OkieGt, August 19, 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#19 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Lol okie :rolling:  :thumbs:

#20 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:01 AM

But in all honesty my little 12hp ive had for 7 years running wide open pulling a 3500lbs sled hasn't been weak at all. I only have a blue coil, bored block, and a shaved head that's it.

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:25 AM

We used to run 5 cubs in stock classes, don't have any now. My son got real good at replacing the trans could have one out and back in in 30 minutes at the pull.

Gotta agree with ya OkieGT cubs can mow the lawn (usually with out breaking their rears) LOL

#22 Cheetah OFFLINE  

Cheetah
  • Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Why in the world any other brand of tractor wants to pull against them is beyond me.

Because it's fun to run something different besides a Cub. Slapping a WH or JD hood on a Cub hiney doesn't make it a WH or JD.

The club I pull with has some classes designed to help other tractors compete against Cubs. We even have a class where it has to be a belt drive, which eliminates the Cub rearend everyone uses. And guess what? It's our most popular class, getting 20+ entries at each event. Seeing Simplicities, WheelHorses, Cubs, Craftsmans, Sears, MTD's, Bolens, etc, all duking it out against each other is, IMHO, better than an all Cub class.

And yes, we do have a class where you'd better have a Cub rearend to compete.

• Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#23 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:37 PM

But in all honesty my little 12hp ive had for 7 years running wide open pulling a 3500lbs sled hasn't been weak at all. I only have a blue coil, bored block, and a shaved head that's it.

I heard the 12 hp is the one engine that has perfect balance, no need for counter weight on the crank and therefore very dependable and strong. There may be a few weaknesses when converting to the pulling sport, but you guys have over come those and pulled an UNBELIEVABLE amount of weight with 10, 12, 14, and 16 hp Kohlers. i doubt ANY other single cylinder engine can match them, especially when matched to a Cub rearend.

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Because it's fun to run something different besides a Cub. Slapping a WH or JD hood on a Cub hiney doesn't make it a WH or JD.

The club I pull with has some classes designed to help other tractors compete against Cubs. We even have a class where it has to be a belt drive, which eliminates the Cub rearend everyone uses. And guess what? It's our most popular class, getting 20+ entries at each event. Seeing Simplicities, WheelHorses, Cubs, Craftsmans, Sears, MTD's, Bolens, etc, all duking it out against each other is, IMHO, better than an all Cub class.

And yes, we do have a class where you'd better have a Cub rearend to compete.

Thanks for the info, it's exactly what newbies need to know in order to compete, is there a class for my tractor? apparently there is, at least at some pulls. I do think its amusing to note that they had to make other classes to get other tractors involved. It reminds me of when Chevy and Ford tried to get Dodge banned from NASCAR from 1960 through 1972. Thanks!!!!!

#25 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Nothin better than beat'n a cub with a Ford hydro ! LOL. I have seen only one other transmission as rugged as the cub. But harder and a bit taller, it is the peerless/ powerking standard . it uses a very similar clutch setup too. But its rare as hens teeth.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#26 Swinny OFFLINE  

Swinny
  • Member No: 44946
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:50 PM

I have herd that not all trans axles come with a creeper gear but can be added. Are these hard to come by or they a common part?

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Nothin better than beat'n a cub with a Ford hydro ! LOL. I have seen only one other transmission as rugged as the cub. But harder and a bit taller, it is the peerless/ powerking standard . it uses a very similar clutch setup too. But its rare as hens teeth.

Theres one down here for sale, a newer model PK garden tractor geared 16hp for 400.00, real nice

#28 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:59 PM

can still be foundI have herd that not all trans axles come with a creeper gear but can be added. Are these hard to come by or they a common part?

If we are still talking IH Cubs, none of them came standard with the creeper gear in them.  The creeper gearbox was an available option for them and it was not intended to be a tool to give the tractor better pulling power at a lower speed.  They were simply meant to slow down the gear drive tractors to use either a snowblower or tiller on them as low was too fast.  It made a 6 speed out of a 3 speed because it was an auxilliary box added in front of the regular transmission.  They are not hard to put on either.  Shorten the driveshaft down on the back side towards the tranny( there is a notch in the driveshaft where it needs cut.  Put a coupler on the tranny input shaft for the creeper where the coupler from the driveshaft used to be.  Bolt the creeper on to the fron of the tranny with 4 bolts and put the coupler from the tranny on the front of it and recconect the driveshaft and you are pretty much ready to go.

They are not to hard to come by.  There is usually one or two on evilbay but they usually bring around 300 dollars for one.

• Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:23 PM

If we are still talking IH Cubs, none of them came standard with the creeper gear in them.  The creeper gearbox was an available option for them and it was not intended to be a tool to give the tractor better pulling power at a lower speed.  They were simply meant to slow down the gear drive tractors to use either a snowblower or tiller on them as low was too fast.  It made a 6 speed out of a 3 speed because it was an auxilliary box added in front of the regular transmission.  They are not hard to put on either.  Shorten the driveshaft down on the back side towards the tranny( there is a notch in the driveshaft where it needs cut.  Put a coupler on the tranny input shaft for the creeper where the coupler from the driveshaft used to be.  Bolt the creeper on to the fron of the tranny with 4 bolts and put the coupler from the tranny on the front of it and recconect the driveshaft and you are pretty much ready to go.

They are not to hard to come by.  There is usually one or two on evilbay but they usually bring around 300 dollars for one.

Thanks, finally someone explained right

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#30 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 03:10 AM

Theres one down here for sale, a newer model PK garden tractor geared 16hp for 400.00, real nice

Of course it has to be half way across the country... Thanks LOL

• OkieGt said thank you