Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can I Remove A Hydro Rearend And Replace With A Transaxle?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Swinny OFFLINE  

Swinny
  • Member No: 44946
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I am new to this sport and my question is. Can you remove the hydrostatic rearend out of a 1330 cub cadet and replace it with a transaxle? And would you need to change to a horizontal shaft motor also? I'm looking to buy a tractor to build a puller.
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:10 PM

If you want to start with a cub cadet I would just start out with an older model anywhere from a model 100 to a 1200.  Start with one of those in gear drive and you will have a near bullet proof basis to start and then move up from there if you want to progress into something more exotic.  An earlier model gear drive will be as cheap to purchase and you will be more or less ready to go with very few modifications as what you will have into changing over a later model hydro.

• KennyP and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I know you want to run what ya got, but your trying to reinvent the wheel. Lots of people used to swap their automatics for four speeds in their cars, this isn't the same at all. Your opening a can of worms, bad worms. It's sad, but good solid Cubs can be had for 300.00 or less, and that's for fair looking running tractors, you would have that in a conversion before you found out you bit off more than you can chew. Good Luck

Edited by OkieGt, August 18, 2013 - 06:38 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I know the narrow frame cubs the swap can be done with out a lot of modification.I'm not sure about the newer ones.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Usually, but not always, if you have to ask, then it's beyond your capabilities & the tools you have.  That said, anything can be done if you have the drive (&cash) to see it through.  Also, to learn how to do these kind of things, you have to just jump in & do it in order to learn.

• OkieGt said thank you

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Usually, but not always, if you have to ask, then it's beyond your capabilities & the tools you have.  That said, anything can be done if you have the drive (&cash) to see it through.  Also, to learn how to do these kind of things, you have to just jump in & do it in order to learn.

Whoa, Daniel, not many of us are as talented as you, if we jump in and do it every time we want to learn, we would have a yard full of tractors in pieces, lol, That said I think there is a time, place, and instance for a tractor modification, but turning a MTD cub 1330 into a puller seems alot like trying to make a Aries K car into a mud bogger. To quote the movie Jurassic Park, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.. A Cub  122 for a few hundred would be a great start and the 1330 could still be a good mower.

Edited by OkieGt, August 18, 2013 - 08:27 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well what a lot of pullers do is use a narrow frame cub model and adapt the sheet metal with having to thrash it or bust it up. On my brothers who has the same style hood, we have the hood open up with hinges on the front of the frame. It makes it a lot easier and I like how it looks.

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 Swinny OFFLINE  

Swinny
  • Member No: 44946
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:53 AM

So are the older narrow frame cubs with hydrostatic rear ends powered with a belt drive or with a drive shaft?
  • OkieGt said thank you

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:34 PM

So are the older narrow frame cubs with hydrostatic rear ends powered with a belt drive or with a drive shaft?

If you exclude the Original, then ALL of the narrow frame were shaft drive.  Gear or hydrostatic. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:51 PM

If you exclude the Original, then ALL of the narrow frame were shaft drive.  Gear or hydrostatic. 

yep exactly, here's a picture of cubs drive line, and trust me when I say after looking at it you'll know why Cubs dominated the sport. Why in the world any other brand of tractor wants to pull against them is beyond me. This particular drawing shows the creeper gear option that was just unbelievable

acub2.PNG

• Swinny said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:01 PM

Some folks actually adapt the gears from a Dodge Dart in the CC trans! It's that stout.

• Dieselcubmike and OkieGt have said thanks

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Some folks actually adapt the gears from a Dodge Dart in the CC trans! It's that stout.

The Ariens GT has the shortened rear transaxle/differential from  a Dodge Dart

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Then why aren't Ariens the sought after puller?

• OkieGt said thank you

#14 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:06 PM

you can build anything with a cub cadet gear box.db4_zps70ea8873.jpg

• LilysDad and OkieGt have said thanks

#15 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:39 PM

yep exactly, here's a picture of cubs drive line, and trust me when I say after looking at it you'll know why Cubs dominated the sport. Why in the world any other brand of tractor wants to pull against them is beyond me. This particular drawing shows the creeper gear option that was just unbelievable

attachicon.gifacub2.PNG

Same reason most run a Kohler, lots of aftermarket parts  Seeing as in stock form their so weak and easily busted