• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 06:37 PM

For small engines, I never use starting fluid, but rather cheap carb cleaner in a spray can. It'll fire them up without ANY danger of harming the engine. Usually just a spray into the air cleaner housing is all it takes.

:ditto:
Starting fluid always has always scared me...

#17 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 09:22 AM

:ditto:

Same here, unless it's for a tater gun. heheehe

#18 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM

I never use the stuff myself,I don't care for it.

#19 SammyRye OFFLINE  

SammyRye

• Member No: 1558
  • 41 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 04:07 PM

Got a little snow storm a week or so ago (not much - only 16") and went out to start the Craftsman LT2000 and plow some snow. Rrrrrr, Rrrrrrrrrr, click, click - Posted Image Not now - don't need this! Got out the walk-behind Craftsman 9hp snowblower and cleared everything out.

Ok - gotta get this tractor running. Check the battery - little over 2-years old (old for a L&G battery). Out she goes, picked up a type 26 car battery and plopped it in. Ok, that should do it! Posted Image Turn the key - Rrrrrr, Rrrrrrr, Rrrrrrrr - click! Posted Image Now what? That's a brand new battery?

Well, last Friday, I finally found some time to tear into this problem. Hooked onto the LT and pulled it from the shed to a nice warm garage to work on it. Pulled the battery out and put it on the charger. Checked the oil - Posted Image - that looked like tar! No wonder this thing wouldn't turn over well. Ok, let's do it all and get it finished. Went to O'Reily's and picked up some 5w-30 synthetic oil, 2 new Autolite spark plugs and a Wix oil filter.

It was warm enough in the garage that the oil drained well. Pulled the old spark plugs - yuck! They were fouled so bad that I wasn't surprised it didn't start. (They were those new "green" plugs, too! You know, the ones that cost you $6 each and have the split eletrode) Brand new Autolites for me! As long as I had everything off the top of the tractor, I thought I might as well pull the starter and check it out and give it a clean up.

Alrighty then - New battery (560 amps, 440 CCA vs. the old 320 amps), 5w-30 synthetic oil, new oil filter, new Autolite spark plugs and a cleaned starter. Hit the key, and vroom! Started right off! Posted Image Boy, did that starter whiz! Did a couple of little extras when I put in back into cold storage (outside storage shed with no heat). I added a battery disconnect on the LT so it wouldn't accidently discharge, and added a battery maintainer. That should take care of the problem.

Update - Went out this morning to fire it up and plow some overnight flurries. Popped right off just like it was summer! I think I found the right combination. The synthetic oil may well have been the key. Much easier to turn over. I'm going to change out the oil on my generator and see if that starts better.

Rich

#20 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, synthetic oils are wonderful in the cold. Everything turns over more easily and the oil gets where it's supposed to right away.

For things I don't run much in the winter (like my LA105 mower and the old truck out back), I keep the batteries in the house and pop them on the trickle charger for a half hour or so before using them. It only takes a couple minutes to hook them back up, and a warm fully charged battery cranks better than a cold one. For things I do use all the time, I just make sure they always run for at least a half hour.

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out for you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Good news on the problem solving. I am thinking I need to buy some synthetic oil for the ones I use in the cold months. Thanks for the update.