start failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ariens931 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 44833
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 11:00 PM

my favorite toy-- arien 16 h kohler, & hydrostatic- won't start. checked all(?). new solonoid, different ign. switchs, cked wiring, fuses, ground, all on ohms meter. interlock board checks ok_(?). cleaned its internal contacts - all seem to work ok. battery 12v throughout. starter turns with crossing solonoid contacts-- now rarely start switchs(2) 'give contact'- usually not. ran well prior to abrupt failure.. seems to have low/no spark current in forced turnover. some information from experienced and astute minds would be greatly appreciated. n n

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'm not quite understanding what the results are of your diagnosis. When you say start switches "give contact" only rarely that sounds like it may be your problem. As a temporary measure, for testing purposes only, you could bypass them with a wire and see if your starting issue is fixed. Also when checking high current connections for the starter current an ohm meter is not always enough. Even a small amount of resistance can rob the starter motor of the power it needs to turn over the engine. Check all the high current connections for good mechanical contact with lots of surface area. The ground connection between the engine frame and the battery - terminal is one that often has trouble from corrosion, loose connections etc. 

• ariens931 said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,688 Thanks
  • 28,330 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:40 AM

now rarely start switchs(2) 'give contact'- usually not.

Not 100 % on what this means.

Also, do you have a lighted spark checker?

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,511 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with Brain above and can only add to check our manuals section for info. The limit is three downloads per day, they are free. Find a troubleshooting guide and try to follow it. When you ask questions we are happy to help. Pictures can help clarify what you are asking. Good Luck, Rick

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'd say you have a problem with a safety switch or your key switch.  Most likely the problem is a key switch. 

Ben W.

#6 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,318 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Welcome Ariens 931!!

Sounds like you have already gone through the basic tests. The first thing that comes to mind would be the safety circuit on the park on your hydro control. That will kill the start. The switch for your pto if it doesn't fully disengage will cause it to. After that, I would lean towards the ignition switch.

#7 drbish OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,140 Thanks
  • 1,143 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Here is the electrical section out of the 934 Ariens Repair manual.I would guess they are the same or pretty close.Hope this helps

Attached File  ariens 934 elect.PDF   2.91MB   88 downloads.

#8 drbish OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,140 Thanks
  • 1,143 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Trouble shooting chart

Attached File  ariens trouble shooting.PDF   243.04KB   67 downloads

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Bad solenoid?

Im gathering from your post that sometimes you hit the kry and it fires right up. Most of the time you turn the key and get a click click of the solenoid tryinf to make contact.

If you put a screw driver or metal piece directly on the 2 posts on the solenoid itmfires right up.

If I am inferring correctly from what you are saying that is my diagnosis.

If this is the problem you can replace the solenoid, not sure on the ariens as I havent looked into that part much yet as mine works but on most of my tractors I just go to a napa and get a generic ford 12vdc solenoid and use that.

In the mean time a few sharp smacks with a blunt object can free up the contacts and get it working. This usually only last a little while.

Dont do what my father recently did. He drilled a hole in the solenoid and sprayed wd 40 inside. Worked great till it caught fire.

Excuse the typos. Posting from a tablet

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 21, 2013 - 09:40 PM.