LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:15 AM

But border crossings always took time otherwise, and involved filling out forms in triplicate, writing passport numbers down, showing immunization records, and declaring goods and paying duty on said goods.  Honestly, if our border crossing only took an hour, we were making good time.

Did you folks ever try tying  your stuff in a bundle and just swimming across the river?

• Newpaws493 and farmer john have said thanks

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:20 AM

Andrew Jackson and his buddy Alex Hamilton always gets me through in record time

• farmer john said thank you

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Did you folks ever try tying  your stuff in a bundle and just swimming across the river?

They always spotted the cab of the truck, so then it was gunshots, yelling, local police screaming about lack of transport-just a real mess.  Plus, the local monkeys flung poo, the hippos didn't like the commotion, and the crocodiles objected to the competition.

• LilysDad and farmer john have said thanks

#19 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Plus, the local monkeys flung poo, the hippos didn't like the commotion, and the crocodiles objected to the competition.

Ummmmh . . . . . are we still in Canada?

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Ummmmh . . . . . are we still in Canada?

Noooo......We are in Africa at the moment, talking about one of my own more irritating border crossings.  Did you follow the link in my post which you quoted?

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't see a link. post #18?

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I don't see a link. post #18?

You had quoted post 15 when I responded to you tongue-in-cheek about the animals.  I assumed you were asking ME why we didn't swim the river if the guards gave us some much problem.  Did you intend to quote someone else?

#23 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Back in the late 90s, I flew to British Columbia Canada once a month. I did have a few customers in Toronto to begin with. First trip, was to the Toronto area (Hamilton and Port Hope). Flew into Buffalo NY, rented a car and drove up. The people in Canada treated me better than those few I saw in Buffalo. Something about my southern accent made the folks in Buffalo made them talk slower and explain things alot, kinda like I was a 5yo. I started skipping Buffalo and flying straight to Toronto. People were much more nicer to me up there.

I also picked up customers in BC about 2 months after that. Flew Canadian air into Vancouver with customs being at the Toronto plane change. I never had any problems except for 1 time. The customs officer played 100 questions and demanded that I pay duty on my tool boxes. My tool boxes weighed 80lbs each. I asked to use the phone and I called my customer in BC. He said to give him a few minutes and asked where I was and who the officer was. I stalled the officer. About 30 minutes later she is called to the back office, the supervisor comes out and apologizes for the misunderstanding and tells me that Due to NAFTA and all my tools being made in the USA I did not need to pay duties. I said thank you sir and caught the next flight to BC. 

Sometimes I used a different air line and had to fly into Vancouver and go through customs there. Sometimes customs would be a ghost town and sometimes it took an hour to go through the line. They always had the drug dogs walking around every body. I worked in the poultry industry and spent alot of time in hatcheries, my tools too. One time the dog seemed interested in me so I got pulled out of line and played 100 questions again while they went through my stuff. They had to make some calls to verify that I did work in hatcheries and they were in Canada. That was fun!

I then ended up flying into Bellingham WA. I had a customer there that I would visit while in BC so due to cost of flights I ended up just reversing my route, US first BC second and I stay in Bellingham and drove across. (Couldnt stay in BC anymore long story but psyco girl from BC would find me in what ever hotel I holed up in). I crossed the border so much they new me by name and even asked about my family back home. No problems from then on.

• HowardsMF155, Newpaws493 and LilysDad have said thanks

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I want to preface my post with this: I've spent quite a bit of time in Canada over the last 7 years and the "native canadians" (meaning the ones that were born there, not the ones fresh off the boat) are some of the nicest and people I've met... And I'm from the south!

However, the Canadian board agents for the most part are a$$holes. Plain and simple. They act like they have a napoleon complex. Ultimately, I'm getting through and they know they have no real say... so they are just very unpleasant and try to bully people around. I've learned to always have an Invitation letter from whoever I'm visiting, I fold that in half, put it inside the front cover of my passport and hand it to them immediately.

#25 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Generally, boarder agents are wannabe cops, so quite a few have an attitude, maybe because they didnt quite make the grade and have to take it out on someone....Security guards too.

That said, its a tough job dealing with some real slugs trying to cross the boarder...I wouldnt want to do it, I wouldnt want to be a cop either

• twostep said thank you

#26 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:03 PM

You had quoted post 15 when I responded to you tongue-in-cheek about the animals.  I assumed you were asking ME why we didn't swim the river if the guards gave us some much problem.  Did you intend to quote someone else?

I'm sorry, Howard! Obviously, I'm swimming in the wrong river. No surprise there.