• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:57 PM

hi guys, went to the states today to buy and bring back a wheel horse / work horse gt1100, saw it on craigs list for $150 bought it over the phone last night for $125. go get it, its in better shape than the pics, runs great. well we hit the boarder, i have a receipt from the p/o with his phone #. i get the fifth degree. my god its not a load of drugs, guns, and i expect to pay duty on it, this is followed by am i carring more than $10,000 cash? if i had 10g do you think i would be playing with a 100 buck tractor? am i bringing any alcohol, no, any cigs , no, again anything to declare, duh!!! the big silver tractor!!!! again do i have a receipt, yes!! hand written or printed? hand written its a private sale, how did you find it ? craigs list, do you have a copy of the ad? no. what a pain in the butt, a waste of taxpayer dollars, an hour later they let me go, and after all that crap they did not want their $15 duty
  • MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I never crossed into Canada with a garden tractor (or without for that matter) but I've heard they can be pretty picky about having soil on the tires.  Did they say anything about that or is it just crossing the other direction?

• DH1, hamman and farmer john have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Last year we made a motorcycle trip around Lake Erie.

We didn't even slow down to enter Canada, but when we came home they made us play 20 questions.

My wife was on the trike in front of me, and the guard asked her if I could hear her on the intercom/CB. She said no, because the trike was shut off while she talked to him. He didn't want me to hear her answers to the questions! 

He asked me if I had any money, and I said, "Hell no, I spent two days in Niagra Falls and spent all my money" He just laughed and let us back into the USA....Never even had to show out passports.

• hamman and farmer john have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:25 PM

I haven't been to Canada in a very long time. Only been there once. Had a great time fishing but getting in was a nightmare. Held us up at the border for two hours by a very rude, overbearing and obnoxious Canadian Agent. He even barked at one of his female co-workers when she asked if he wanted her to help. We were just going up fishing and that was all. Everyone had the proper amount of alcohol allowed as well as the proper amount of gas for the boats. My son has traveled to Canada several times with the Boy Scouts and only once had a problem. I've never really wanted to go back since then. Shame really, what a beautiful country and the people I met other than the Agent were very nice. Hope you didn't have a problem getting in and out of the USA. Roger.

• farmer john said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Doesn't sound like fun. What we'll go through for Gts... :(  Hopefully they save some of the high scrutiny for the Badguys.

• hamman and farmer john have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hopefully they save some of the high scrutiny for the Badguys.

No, its probably only you suspicious looking characters that get stopped, not those innocent looking scruffy folks with high dollar cars and 100 boxes in the back inside black bags. 

Ben W.

• hamman, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Although getting back into my own country is a pain in the a**,

i have never had a lick of trouble getting into the states

• hamman said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 10:10 PM

hi guys, went to the states today to buy and bring back a wheel horse / work horse gt1100, saw it on craigs list for $150 bought it over the phone last night for $125. go get it, its in better shape than the pics, runs great. well we hit the boarder, i have a receipt from the p/o with his phone #. i get the fifth degree. my god its not a load of drugs, guns, and i expect to pay duty on it, this is followed by am i carring more than $10,000 cash? if i had 10g do you think i would be playing with a 100 buck tractor? am i bringing any alcohol, no, any cigs , no, again anything to declare, duh!!! the big silver tractor!!!! again do i have a receipt, yes!! hand written or printed? hand written its a private sale, how did you find it ? craigs list, do you have a copy of the ad? no. what a pain in the butt, a waste of taxpayer dollars, an hour later they let me go, and after all that crap they did not want their $15 duty

The southern border is easier, only two questions. Are you carrying drugs or illegal aliens? or will you carry some drugs or illegals aliens?

• nra1ifer, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#9 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Depends on where you cross, we usually don't have to many problems when we go to Quebec, Even with 4 "parts" tractors.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Whenever I've gone to the USA I've only had problems with Canadian border officials. Some of them are just plain miserable!

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Went to Michigan once, and crossed through Ontario, getting to Michigan and going through Ontario both ways was easy, trying to get through at the border in NY ........... Well let's just say some ....... Holes deserve to loose their jobs during cutbacks!!!! And I hope it was them !!! Yeah it wasn't pretty , and I'm in no hurries to do it again!!

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Do you suppose these are just cases of people with too much authority, being bored with their job? They know it's just an old tractor, but it kills time, roughing you up.     

• MH81, Newpaws493 and farmer john have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:14 AM

We have had members turned away at the border on their way to plow days by US agents thinking the Canadian member was trying to steal a job from a US citizen. (Duh, as if driving a tractor down here to plow a garden is a money making proposition)

Maybe we all need to contact or respective reps :D
  • Newpaws493 and farmer john have said thanks

#14 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I had never thought of that, when i get set up i want to go to one with my tractor, i was talking to DH1, another canadian when he was going to one, sounded like a great time for us gt enthusists, the next time i buy a tractor in the states i will get a receipt, copy of the ad, p/o phone number,and supply a urine sample, piss on them ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

• limebuzz, Newpaws493 and LilysDad have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:51 AM

I think this was my worst border crossing ever.

http://gardentractor...story/?p=215730

As an American citizen, I always loved returning to my home country.  The paper work was minimal, I knew everyone spoke English (Even in New York!).  Later trips did always want to know if I'd been on a farm recently, and of course the answer was always "Yes".  They would then ask me to check my extra shoes for dirt and clean them into the trash can.

But border crossings always took time otherwise, and involved filling out forms in triplicate, writing passport numbers down, showing immunization records, and declaring goods and paying duty on said goods.  Honestly, if our border crossing only took an hour, we were making good time.