• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I am on call this weekend, so I didn't go to the farm.  Instead, I got some work done on the tractors at home. 

First, I figured out how to reload my grease gun.  Lots of equipment was needing grease.

Then I took off the spring lift assist from my Cub 72 and installed it on the 147.  The 72 has no rear lift, just the mower deck, so it didn't need the help.  The 147 is a plowing tractor, and the homemade manual lift needed help.

I finally got the 147's hydro lever tension tightened.  I tried to take the dash and tower off, but I never figured out why it wouldn't lift up at all.  I decided to sacrifice an open end wrench, and the internet's best guess was 1 1/16".  I cut the wrench about 4 inches long with a grinder, and found that 1 1/16" is correct.  With the lever in forward, put the wrench on the tension nut, and move the lever to reverse.  Three times was enough, and I like my 147 again.

Then I mounted the Brinly toolbar I bought at an auction this summer,  No problem lifting it.  Same with an 8" moldboard plow.  The true test will be soon with my 10" plow at the farm. 

I also tested out the new used Deere seat, much better than the junk broken original seat.  I might actually enjoy plowing, now!

Next projects are head gaskets for both the 147 and 72, I see both now leak.  I also need to rebuild the 147 PTO and deck.  That might start tomorrow with removing the PTO set screws.

The best part might have been watching my wife mow the grass with our little Craftsman rear engine rider.  I taught her how to run it, now she knows how to run a mowing tractor both at home and the farm.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • Member No: 35188
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Glad to see you got some work done. Its funny,  I was just the opposite. I was not on call this weekend and did go to the farm but didn't get anything done.

The grass needed cut but I made one pass and a loud backfire came out of my lawn mower. Never ran after that.  The garden has gone to cain due to rain,deer and rabbits.

I would like to teach my wife how to mow at both home and the farm. That sounds like some good trainning you have done! I guess I need to start while I am not on call. enjoy your time off from what I call  "house arrest" aka "on call".  :good_job:

Edited by Short_Circuit, August 17, 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Glad you got something done, I played hookie and went to a show...

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Sounds like a real productive day. There's almost always some sort of issue to be dealt with on the older GT's. 

#5 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:44 AM

I got the PTO off this morning.  How do I know if I should replace the PTO bearing?  I can turn it by hand, but I don't know if it is good.  It definitely has more resistance than I expect, but I have never messed with one before.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:47 AM

That bearing should offer almost no resistance at all.  You'll know the difference when you spin the new bearing. Replace the bearing regardless while the clutch is off.

• bja105 said thank you

#7 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:42 PM

More research indicate that this ball bearing is available from local auto parts stores.  I will order the other parts from the local Cub Cadet dealer.  Is there a rebuild kit, or do I need to figure out which parts I need individually?