• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• Member No: 6990
  • 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Had the 317 out today leveling my gravel driveway and suddenly started getting a vibration, mainly felt thru the floorboards of the fender pan.  checked the motor and it seemed tight and the motor mounts felt like they were working correctly.  Also hydro fluid is at correct level.

Had to finish up, and noticed that vibration was not as bad when tractor was not moving or when i was not raising/lowering the front blade.

My fear is that the drive shaft is going/gone bad, but dont understand why it started so suddenly.

BTW,  last week when i had the tractor out last, it did throw the pto belt off for the deck, dont think this is related but wanted to mention it just in case.

thanks for any ideas/suggestions!!

JD214

• JRJ said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like a U-joint in the drive shaft going out to me!  May be a failed bearing in the joint, or may have thrown a bearing cap completely out.  

• HDWildBill and JohnDeere214 have said thanks

#3 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 06:58 PM

thx oldcowhand,  that was the only thing i could think of........just wanted others opinions before tearing everything down.  Its going to be a couple weeks at least until i can get to it, hope it didnt damage anything else.

thx again

JD214

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Long as she's still spinning the shaft, you'll be ok.  Likely won't fly apart even if you use it more......but don't!    

• JohnDeere214 said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:15 PM

If you have an original shaft it doesn't have grease fittings. The replacement part has them. You can get some idea what is going on by getting under the tractor grabbing the shaft and turning it to check for slack. Do this with the tractor off and the key in your pocket.  It could be the coupler/key on the engine that is worn as well.  Check both ends and you should be able to find where the problem is. Motor mounts are another problem area on these tractors. Give them a really close look. Sometimes they crack and you can't see it from the top. Oil will also soften them with time until they no longer isolate the way they should. I've also seen the rivets come loose or the steel plate part of the mount break where they are attached to the frame. 

• JohnDeere214 said thank you

#6 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

JohnDeere214

• 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Sorry for bringing up this thread but wanted to give an update.  Pulled the fender pan off last spring/summer(waited that long cause i was dreading what i might find!!!)  and found the roll pin that attaches the drive shaft to the input shaft had broken.  replace roll pin and was good to go.

thanks for the ideas/advice earlier!!

JD214

Edited by JohnDeere214, January 21, 2015 - 08:38 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Glad it was a simple fix for you!

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Sorry for bringing up this thread but wanted to give an update.  Pulled the fender pan off last spring/summer(waited that long cause i was dreading what i might find!!!)  and found the roll pin that attaches the drive shaft to the input shaft had broken.  replace roll pin and was good to go.

thanks for the ideas/advice earlier!!

JD214

Apology?  We want updates, no matter how long from the original post.  Thanks, and glad it was a cheap & easy enough fix.

#9 skifoof OFFLINE  

skifoof
  • Member No: 52872
  • 53 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 08:06 AM

im on my third driveshaft on my 317,close to needing a forth,they don't last long,i think I have 1,300 original hours on mine and it s very nice shape,only thing mine has done is mow and pull a sweeper,even when u get the greaseable ones ,like I do its a real pain in the axx,to get to the zerks

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 11:01 AM

im on my third driveshaft on my 317,close to needing a forth,they don't last long,i think I have 1,300 original hours on mine and it s very nice shape,only thing mine has done is mow and pull a sweeper,even when u get the greaseable ones ,like I do its a real pain in the axx,to get to the zerks

Check motor mounts - when they go bad they wipe out the shaft.

Edited by Trav1s, February 01, 2015 - 02:56 PM.

• MH81 and skifoof have said thanks