• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:03 AM

EP offered power steering in their sales brochures in 1979 and 1980 but there is no record of it ever being available or any tractors ever having it installed.

I have a power steering set up off a John Deere 400 that I thought might make a good doner to set up power steering in one of these tractors.

I will donate the setup - shipping to anyone who might want to attempt to convert their steel bodied tractor to power steering.Of coarse one would need to document the process on this forum.

• Alc, tractorgarden, Per and 1 other said thanks

#2 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Username, In my spare time I would take the offer.........Great idea, I would love to see this done. As for me doing it. I have no time.

Shawn   

#3 Per OFFLINE  

Per
  • Member No: 11470
  • 144 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Username, do you want the power steering installed on a specific brand of tractor?

If not I am very interested to install it on my Gilson. 

Sorry if I don't understand your post.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:02 PM

How about on a Plastic King?  I know they had that on some, but not mine. Not sure what is required for doing a switch. Seems there is a box actuator that replaces the steer box then, usually short and mounts to dash or close? Then a pump source, or is it just taken off the hydro axles?  Then just a cylinder to put on frame and go to the steering arm on one side?  OR, is it much more than that?

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Username, do you want the power steering installed on a specific brand of tractor?
If not I am very interested to install it on my Gilson.
Sorry if I don't understand your post.

Blaspheme! Actually I am interested in someone doing something that I would have liked to have done but I know myself well enough to know that it will never happen.I think PS especially on a loader tractor would great and I would love to see the results; however, I am interested is seeing this on a steel bodied Power King tractor.I already have a sucker or I mean a person who is interested in the setup so it is accounted for unless the person changes their mind.

You might consider searching for sale ads or Ebay as you can pick up these components rather cheap if you are in no hurry and it would make a nice project to record for all of us.I think this setup is pretty good for conversion on many different tractors but you might need to start with a pump on your Gilson if it does not already have one.

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:25 PM

How about on a Plastic King? I know they had that on some, but not mine. Not sure what is required for doing a switch. Seems there is a box actuator that replaces the steer box then, usually short and mounts to dash or close? Then a pump source, or is it just taken off the hydro axles? Then just a cylinder to put on frame and go to the steering arm on one side? OR, is it much more than that?

Please don't take this the wrong way Grumpy but I don't have much interest in plastic Kings. :smilewink:

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oh Yeah!    :shoot2:  :mad2:  :shoot3:    Just Fun here!  

Someday I might have a real NICE P-king and SHOW You!  IF we live that long! 

#8 harlenist OFFLINE  

harlenist
  • Member No: 25292
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Have you found some one to do power upgrade power steering. If not I would be interested in taking on that task. email is harlenist@att.net power king still have to pick up been to snowy to get to trailer to pic up the one i bought with loader on it. I gave my granpa my other one he really liked it and him being 83 years old cant go and buy stuff like he use to so decided to let him have it. Will be picking up my new power king near 3-1-2014

#9 Brian Humphrey OFFLINE  

Brian Humphrey
  • Member No: 63094
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 04:31 AM

did anyone end up making a write up on this ?

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 12:59 PM

did anyone end up making a write up on this ?

No and I don't think it is going to happen.He is in the service now and I think his interest or time for PK tractors has waned.

Perhaps he might pass it onto someone else if he does not see any chance of it being installed in the future.

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hi Username, I think its a great idea my 1618 with a FEL sure could benfit from power steering and I've given it some thought, my first question is where to get the hyd power? Anyone with thoughts on that could a "T" be installed on the hyd pump?

#12 Brian Humphrey OFFLINE  

Brian Humphrey
  • Member No: 63094
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm sure it'd be an amazing upgrade Id love todo it to mine.