skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just started another batch of wine, this time made from peaches. Going to do anther 3 gallon batch.
  • twostep said thank you

#17 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 03:42 AM

Who--- Doggy ! Checked the specific gravity of the wine I have cookin' and it went clean to the bottom.... plenty of alcohol in that batch!! About 18% ! Next I checked on the new batch of peach wine I have fermenting and 3 days in , it is already at 10% ! 4 more days to go before that will get racked into a carboy for clarification and more fermenting. Things are looking good!
 The red raspberry wine that Bubba started is almost done, can't wait to try it ! It looks and smells incredible!! :thumbs:  :beer:

Edited by skyrydr2, August 21, 2013 - 03:44 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#18 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:29 AM

This hobby could easily get out of control !!! Dang!! I now have 12 gallons of wine brewing and looking for grapes to brew up at least 6 more LOL . The Blackberry wine is on its last fermenting and has cleared up nicely! Should be bottling it in a week or two!! Sampled it and it is very smooth and quite well balanced for a berry wine, (thanks Fran, you really know how to brew this stuff) .

Fran is the owner of the local home brewer's store, and this guy knows his stuff!! If he recommends it , it is what you should do !!

I need to pick up another bucket and carboy to keep up :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :beer:  :beer: I want to try grape and pear if I can get me hands on them!

And Strawberries next spring are a definate must try!!

• twostep said thank you

#19 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 671 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:43 AM

All of those sound real good. I wish we lived closer, we could share!

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:01 PM

... I want to try grape and pear if I can get me hands on them!

If you want to try a wine that will kick in your front door and shove flavour down your throat, try wild grapes.  Those small little grapes that grow along the hedgerows.  I made some two years ago, and I gotta tell you, it is a BIG red wine.  If Merlot goes with beef, Wild Grape Wine goes with buffalo, bear, caribou or maybe Mammoth (if you can find it).  It is also wonderful on those nights when morphine just won't cut the pain.

Throw 12 lbs in a nylon mess bag, crush them, add water to get to 1 gallon, 1/2 tsp peptic enzyme, 1 campden tab, 1.5 lbs sugar.  Wait 24 hours and add a pack of 1118 yeast.  Pull the bag out after 4 days.  From there it is just the normal process.

I made some two years ago and it is aging very well.

#21 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:19 AM

If you want to try a wine that will kick in your front door and shove flavour down your throat, try wild grapes.  Those small little grapes that grow along the hedgerows.  I made some two years ago, and I gotta tell you, it is a BIG red wine.  If Merlot goes with beef, Wild Grape Wine goes with buffalo, bear, caribou or maybe Mammoth (if you can find it).  It is also wonderful on those nights when morphine just won't cut the pain.

Throw 12 lbs in a nylon mess bag, crush them, add water to get to 1 gallon, 1/2 tsp peptic enzyme, 1 campden tab, 1.5 lbs sugar.  Wait 24 hours and add a pack of 1118 yeast.  Pull the bag out after 4 days.  From there it is just the normal process.

I made some two years ago and it is aging very well.

That's justt what I'm looking for , they call them fox grapes and they are loaded with flavor BIG time!! But as you said, you need a lot of sugar ,,,,,, as they are not very sweet. I have had wine made from them before, and it was this wine that actually got me to even try wine! As I was a huge fan of wiskey and rum only.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#22 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Well now for the fun part.... Bottling and corking, of which I have neither of DOH!! Well its off to the home brewers store for more supplies.
I have 4 batches of wine going And 2 are ready to bottle, both are blackberry wines. One is an all natural batch and the other was done with wine yeast and french oak lightly toasted . the latter is off the walls out ragious blackberry flavored!! The other one is very dark in color and has a stronger fermented flavor and tastes like it has a higher alcohol content, but it doesnt? Very dry as well. I can soften this by adding a bit of honey or sugar at bottling for a pinch of " back sweetness"
Wow is it ever raining out side as i type. Good day to bottle some wine !

#23 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Get the synthetic corks.  They allow you to store the bottles vertically, which is great if you blow a cork.

#24 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Do they let the wine breath? They need to breath for the first 2 weeks so the sanitizer/ yeast killer will get out?

#25 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I don't know.  I've never used yeast killer.  I don't bottle anything for at least 6 month.  By then it has clarified (settled) and the yeast has died off naturally.

#26 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Berry wines seem to be better bottled soon agetoutr the burping stops to keep the dryness mild, aisn't he berry flavor locked in.( so I have been told?)
At any rate the sterilizer is what needs to get out or your bottle will get funk to it that just isn't good eats.
They need to relax standing upright for atleast 2 weeks then it can be layed on its side.
What everyone says is berry wines are only good for a few years ??? A few years... I dout it will last a few months lol.

#27 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,625 Thanks
  • 3,277 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just finished crunching up grapes and gettin'em in the fermenter. I had a hunch that the grapes up at the old state hospital( now a medium secutity prison) were going to be sporting a good crop this year and i was spot on!!! Got me a 6 gallon bucket full !! Also noticed the crab apples are simply gorgeous beautiful transparent red! Gots tah get me a bucket full of them next trip. They make the most Incredible jelly you ever put on a muffin!!
Oh and the black walnuts...... HOLY MOLY ARE THERE EVER WALNUTS!! I'll gather a pail full of those along with a pail of chesnuts too!!
I need to bring the MIL up there so shw can find mushrooms too!! I wish i could buy all that land boy™!! ita so prime for farming!!
  • twostep said thank you

#28 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:53 PM

The black walnuts and mushrooms will make awful wine, IMHO.

#29 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 13,319 Thanks
  • 7,890 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Just finished crunching up grapes and gettin'em in the fermenter. I had a hunch that the grapes up at the old state hospital( now a medium secutity prison) were going to be sporting a good crop this year and i was spot on!!! Got me a 6 gallon bucket full !! Also noticed the crab apples are simply gorgeous beautiful transparent red! Gots tah get me a bucket full of them next trip. They make the most Incredible jelly you ever put on a muffin!!
Oh and the black walnuts...... HOLY MOLY ARE THERE EVER WALNUTS!! I'll gather a pail full of those along with a pail of chesnuts too!!
I need to bring the MIL up there so shw can find mushrooms too!! I wish i could buy all that land boy™!! ita so prime for farming!!

Sounds like a good place to go picking. All the neighbors come to my field to get blackberry's. I finally got the neighbor kids to stop eating my blueberrys. Now if my plum tree would just do something.

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,492 Thanks
  • 41,066 posts

Posted September 04, 2013 - 07:55 PM

If work would leave me alone, I might try a new hobby. Wine Tasting!