Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can Anyone Enlighten Me On The Massey Gc2400?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 04:32 AM

I have a chance (admittedly slim) to get one of these and I figured I better do some research to find out if there are any problems with them.  This is a 2011 model and it only has 90 hours on it.  Anyone have one that could tell me a little about them?  I need a good feel because, if this does actually happen, I'll definetely be selling both of my Power Kings to help offset cost so I'll need to make sure I'm getting something reliable.  This one comes with a 60" deck and FEL.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 04:47 AM

I'd do that upgrade in a heartbeat. I honestly can't think of any known reliability issues.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Have a look at tractordata.com for the specs. it's a big upgrade to go to a 4wd scut from a GT. 3pt. hitch, rear pto, diesel, power steering ,rops, etc all included as standard equipment. 90 hours is pretty much new. If you can get a price you can live with and need what the tractor offers then it sounds like a good move. You will miss all the tinkering and playing with the GTs though!

• David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Have a look at tractordata.com for the specs. it's a big upgrade to go to a 4wd scut from a GT. 3pt. hitch, rear pto, diesel, power steering ,rops, etc all included as standard equipment. 90 hours is pretty much new. If you can get a price you can live with and need what the tractor offers then it sounds like a good move. You will miss all the tinkering and playing with the GTs though!

I know it's a big upgrade.  Of that there is no doubt.  This is why I want to do it.  I'm really just wondering if these machines are any good.  The further I read, the more I like what I hear.  They seem to be quite reliable.  No, I won't miss the tinkering as I will still have plenty of that.  Besides, I've never had to do much to the PKs.  I did put a brand new engine in the FEL PK and added dual tranny while I was at it.  Should be a good reliable machine for years to come.  I'm just getting to the point where I think I might actually like foot controlled hydro.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:16 AM

If you get it, check out this $600 cab for some Masseys. https://www.surplusc...3965-A&catname=

Good Luck, Rick
  • David Brown said thank you

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a Massey Gc 2300  2007 model yr.I have just put 2000 hrs on it and its working fine.Only issue I've had is the muffler breaking away right at the flange.I did a bit of reinforcing and modifing and its been good since.The GC 2400 is the same tractor just two pedal instead of the single rocker pedal.plus differenet cosmetic look.This little tractor will surprise you with what it can do.Ease of operation very nice to use etc:You will be pleasantly surprised as to how nice they are to use.If the price is right you can't go wrong.Good luck with your purchase!!Larry

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think you'll be a happy camper if ya get it!  It's a good color!  :thumbs:

• David Brown said thank you

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Well the darn thing sold.  Just as things were heating up and were looking better.  Ah well, easy come, easy go.  There are many others out there and the right one will come along.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Sorry to hear you missed that one. If i were buying new, a massey is at the top of the list.
a week after I bought my Ford, the Massey dealer called me and said he had a big savings on a 1524( I think) and offered to give me more than I paid for the Ford on trade. I am happy with the Ford but wish I had taken the deal.