• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • Member No: 41368
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 06:40 PM

After the welding mess I found, I have the pulley off of the shaft. With funds preventing me from taking to a machinist I've been working on this mess myself. Thought I share pics of what I found and get thoughts of how to proceed. Thanksgear2.JPG gear3.JPG gear1.JPG gear4.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:10 PM

You need a new/good used clutch assembly. Get a piece of 1/4 key stock from any hardware store and cut to length, grind all the slobbered weld off the end of the crankshaft and bolt the new clutch on and hook the wire back up so you can electrically engage/disengage it with the switch on dash like it was originally from factory instead of that mickey mouse manual system someone rigged up.
  • Pudycatz said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Other than an OE replacement clutch, there is no easy fix here.  You can't simply buy a pulley to slip on the crank, as the pulley sits out from the end of the crank to align to the jackshaft pulley.  This would require machining a crankshaft pulley adapter that would reach out far enough to get the pulleys aligned.  Either a machinist must be involved, or go the easier, and possibly just as cheap route finding a used replacement clutch.

#4 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:29 PM

You need a new/good used clutch assembly.

Thanks Luke, I think the search may be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm gonna keep on the look out. It's a great running machine.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Luke, I think the search may be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm gonna keep on the look out. It's a great running machine.

Nothing on ebay at the moment, but I'll stay on the lookout for ya.

#6 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Check with our site sponsors also.  One may have a parts machine with the clutch still on it.

#7 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Let me do some looking around the farm, I think I might have a good used clutch setup laying around if memory serves me right!? Lol Give me the weekend to rummage around and see if I can locate it......got stuff stashed everywhere! Unless u wanna buy the brand new one(in box)I have sitting on the shelf!? Luke

#8 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Let me do some looking around the farm, I think I might have a good used clutch setup laying around if memory serves me right!? Lol Give me the weekend to rummage around and see if I can locate it......got stuff stashed everywhere! Unless u wanna buy the brand new one(in box)I have sitting on the shelf!? Luke

Thanks, either one will do. lol

#9 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Here's the clutch assembly. It wasn't buried as deep as I figured! Lol do you need the complete assembly with the field coil or just the clutch part with pulley? It seems to be in good shape but one thing I would recommend is take some jb weld and smooth it over the coil windings to protect from the clutch wearing into them in time as the old covering is flaking off of them. Bearing seems to turn freely but I can't guarantee anything as its used! Let me know what parts ya need/want. Luke

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:48 PM

P-catz, if you can afford, I advise buying the complete clutch from Luke.  Your electromagnet is beginning to look rough.  Luke's looks great.  Luke, do you have the retaining bolt & washer?

#11 Pudycatz OFFLINE  

Pudycatz
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Here's the clutch assembly. It wasn't buried as deep as I figured! Lol do you need the complete assembly with the field coil or just the clutch part with pulley? It seems to be in good shape but one thing I would recommend is take some jb weld and smooth it over the coil windings to protect from the clutch wearing into them in time as the old covering is flaking off of them. Bearing seems to turn freely but I can't guarantee anything as its used! Let me know what parts ya need/want. Luke

Luke, sent you a PM, also as Olcowhand asked do you have the retaining bolt and washer

Edited by Pudycatz, August 16, 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#12 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:08 PM

No, it's just a fine threaded bolt and heavy flat washer......just get a heavy washer that is just a touch larger diameter than the crankshaft and fits the bolt tight. Nothing special. Luke

#13 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:08 PM

I can get you a length on the bolt tomorrow if needed!? Luke

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:21 PM

No, it's just a fine threaded bolt and heavy flat washer......just get a heavy washer that is just a touch larger diameter than the crankshaft and fits the bolt tight. Nothing special. Luke

Yep, that'll do fine.  I would also add a lock washer between the bolt head & large flat washer.