• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 tdizzle OFFLINE  

tdizzle
  • Member No: 48561
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Welcome tdizzle! I can't help you too much with your problem. What tractor and engine do you have?

18 hp kawasaki husqvarna yth1848

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Start with the simple things first.  Replace your plugs, make sure your air filter is clean and not a bad idea to replace it if it hasn't been replaced in a while.  Check to make sure you are getting fuel to the carburetor also check and make sure the carburetor is not flooding.  Then progress to the harder tasks like head gasket's or valve issues.

A compression test is not all inclusive on these engines so I would do a cylinder leak down test and go from there.  A 100 PSI seems a bit low.

• tdizzle said thank you

#18 tdizzle OFFLINE  

tdizzle
  • Member No: 48561
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 04:05 PM

i am having the same problems as in above posts with a yth1848xp husqvarna kawasaki motor 2003 model with 320 hrs. with the eclectric clutch engaged goin up the slightest incline the mower slows in speed and rpms and will stall if u keep going. push in the pto switch and it runs strong. i called a husky dealer and explained my problems and was told it was the clutch for $250. sounded right to me but here i sit with the same  problems and eating a $250 clutch. i have change plugs fuel filter cleaned carb ran mower with a jump pack right to switch and it still doesnt run right. im stuck and confused

#19 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:34 PM

If you have checked all the above and are sure (Positive) that your fuel & ignition system's are functioning correctly, then your next step will be to either pull the heads or do a cylinder bleed down, but you will probably still end up pulling the heads.  When you put an engine under a big load that is when it's weakness's will show up.

#20 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Had a break through this evening.  Did a redneck compression test (finger over the spark plug hole). No compression on left cylinder. We pulled the rocker-box cover off and discovered a push rod had fallen out of its seat on the tappet. Ah-ha, so we went a little further by pulling the head off and discovered this:

attachicon.gif20130821_181705.jpg

Exhaust valve had stuck open.  It's been stuck open for a while. The push rods are straight.  The valve seems straight as well.  We cleaned the valve stem and the valve seat. It doesn't seem to be seating properly, so I'm bringing it to work where we're going to try and lap it back in.  I'm ordering new gaskets tomorrow and we'll see if this cures it.

You'd never know it was down a cylinder by the way it ran without the mowing deck engaged.   :D

Check the valves and guides, maybe the valve guide has moved when hot, and is holding the valve open a bit.

Best way to check to see if both cylinders a firing is to pull 1 spark plug wire off when running and see what happens,

put it back on then do the same to the other.

When you pull a wire and there is little or no change, that cylinder is not firing.

Edited by DH1, October 25, 2013 - 05:44 PM.