19 replies to this topic

#1 Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This OFFLINE  

Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This
  • Member No: 44376
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2003 Husqvarna YTH1848XP with a 18hp Kawasaki twin.  I'm having a severe power drain when the mowing deck is engaged (via. electric clutch).  It only recovers about 75% power and will not mow uphill or around tight corners.

I've replaced the primary drive belt (to rear hydra-stat drive), new fuel, new spark plugs, new battery.  I thought it was bearings in the electric clutch, but that's not the case.  All blade spindles spin with minimal resistance (normal?)

I took apart all the electrical connections and blew them out.  I'm running out of sources of the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Smarter guys will be along soon.  One question in the meantime: is the engine bogging down or is the transmission slowing down? 

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. Smarter guys will be along soon. One question in the meantime: is the engine bogging down or is the transmission slowing down?

When you say it will not mow up hill, do you mean it runs out of power or it stops moving?

I assume you mean power, but am unsure. If power, I don't see a new fuel filter in the list.

Around tight corners is confusing tho, that should have nothing to do with anything unless:
The deck is so sloppy under the machine that its binding on something on corners
Te hydro is bad and binding internally on corners, but it would do it without the deck engaged.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 08:14 AM

First off let me Welcome to GTtalk.  With the deck disengaged how does it run ?  Will it pull the hills and make turns OK or is there a noticeable power loss.  Also like Alan asked what do you consider a power loss?  The engine bogging down or loss of movement? 

Have you checked the tank for debris inside?  Also how about the air cleaner?  Any further details would be helpful.

• nlpoole said thank you

#5 Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This OFFLINE  

Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Smarter guys will be along soon.  One question in the meantime: is the engine bogging down or is the transmission slowing down? 

Thanks! =)

When you say it will not mow up hill, do you mean it runs out of power or it stops moving?

I assume you mean power, but am unsure. If power, I don't see a new fuel filter in the list.

Around tight corners is confusing tho, that should have nothing to do with anything unless:
The deck is so sloppy under the machine that its binding on something on corners
Te hydro is bad and binding internally on corners, but it would do it without the deck engaged.

While the deck is engaged, it runs out of power while going up hill (engine RPM's slowly drop to a near idle).  New fuel filter last season.  This one is free flowing.  I drained all the gasoline and put in fresh 93 octane two weeks ago. Deck is good and tight.  I just pumped fresh grease in all three spindles.

The manual said the rear hydrastat drive is sealed from the factory, and I haven't noticed any wet spots under it.  So I assume it's still full.

First off let me Welcome to GTtalk.  With the deck disengaged how does it run ?  Will it pull the hills and make turns OK or is there a noticeable power loss.  Also like Alan asked what do you consider a power loss?  The engine bogging down or loss of movement? 

Have you checked the tank for debris inside?  Also how about the air cleaner?  Any further details would be helpful.

Thank you! =)

With the deck disengaged, it runs fine.  It will climb hills and corner tight without the deck on just fine.  The power loss I speak of is engine power.  The loss of movement is the caused by the lack of engine RPM's (via. primary drive belt to hydrastat pulley).

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:00 PM

What comes to mind would be something going on with the governor.  Check to and make sure all the linkage is free moving and not binding on anything, no debris blocking full movement.  Another area may be the Fuel pump, make sure it is putting out good volume.  If all the above check out then maybe a compression check or even a cylinder bleed down check. 

Hopefully some one who has more experience with the Kaw engines will chime in.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Boy, for all the world that sounds like a low comp engine or one with no advance on the timing... Maybe only running on 1 cyl even?

As for the "sealed unit" ... They've been claiming that since the 90's. I wouldn't think it would be a rear end issue, not if you're ok when not mowing.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#8 Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This OFFLINE  

Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:37 PM

deck1.jpg deck2.jpg deck3.jpg   Well, I thought I had discovered my binding issue.  Unfortunately, after cleaning and re-installing the deck, I still had the power-loss problem.  I tested resistance on both coils with my multi-meter.  .562ohms on the left coil, .560ohms on the right.  I'm going to the parts store and picking up a new pre-filter, air filter and secondary drive belt (couldn't hurt).

There is one thing I noticed that happens when I engage the electric clutch, and I don't know if it's normal or not.  When I pull the switch for the electric clutch, the linkage on the left side of the carburetor (throttle linkage?) shuts and then slowly opens. I will look into the linkage to make sure nothing is interfering with its normal operation.

To MH81:  That was the first thing I thought of.  I was talked out of a compression test by co-workers saying to start with the simple solutions (air, fuel, spark)... it looks like I've ruled those out!  onto compression test, LoL.

I appreciate everyone's input so far!  =)  hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.

Edited by Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This, August 16, 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are eliminating stuff methodically.

Btw, there's a reason why more tractors are on Craigslist "without a deck" :smilewink: :poke:

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Your co-workers are right by saying start off with the easier things first but when they don't pan out then it is time to get into the more complicated areas.  Doing a compression check is not hard, just pull the plug, install the compression tester and turn the engine over.  I usually will take 3 - 4 readings and then average them out.

Another thing you might try is if you have a cart you can tow behind load it up with some weight and see if the tractor will pull it up a hill.  If it bog's down like when the deck is engaged then you know it has something to do with the engine and / or tranny.  If it doesn't then you know you have a problem with either the PTO or Deck.

• MH81 and nlpoole have said thanks

#11 Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This OFFLINE  

Hold_My_Beer_Watch_This
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Had a break through this evening.  Did a redneck compression test (finger over the spark plug hole). No compression on left cylinder. We pulled the rocker-box cover off and discovered a push rod had fallen out of its seat on the tappet. Ah-ha, so we went a little further by pulling the head off and discovered this:

20130821_181705.jpg

Exhaust valve had stuck open.  It's been stuck open for a while. The push rods are straight.  The valve seems straight as well.  We cleaned the valve stem and the valve seat. It doesn't seem to be seating properly, so I'm bringing it to work where we're going to try and lap it back in.  I'm ordering new gaskets tomorrow and we'll see if this cures it.

You'd never know it was down a cylinder by the way it ran without the mowing deck engaged.   :D

• MH81 said thank you

#12 tdizzle OFFLINE  

tdizzle
  • Member No: 48561
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 04:07 PM

i have  the same loss of power issue and have done everything i can think of, the compression is 100 on both cylinders.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 04:27 PM

So what have you done besides the compression check?  Are there any other symptom's?  Like smoke in the exhaust or rough running?  Does it run OK with out the deck engaged?  some more details would be helpful.  Also what tractor model and engine model do you have?

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Welcome tdizzle! I can't help you too much with your problem. What tractor and engine do you have?

#15 tdizzle OFFLINE  

tdizzle
  • Member No: 48561
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:43 PM

im having the same problem and at times when u pull the switch to engage blades it sometimes shuts off