• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 obar OFFLINE  

obar
  • Member No: 44330
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hello! I was cleaning out my family's old barn and found a Ford 120 mower/tractor. It won't start and has probably been sitting for 10+ years. What is it worth? What would be a fair asking price based on its condition? I live in Plymouth, Michigan. Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

-Ryan

00h0h_7h04eMxPxeJ_300x300.jpg 00h0h_79bQajZlUHG_300x300.jpg 00i0i_hDEqy84SODr_300x300.jpg 00j0j_3qQTuN4qPzh_600x450.jpg 00R0R_gq2pfyEIhrZ_300x300.jpg 00t0t_8Jn7VN6jLnC_300x300.jpg 00505_j7lmgqLdHdu_300x300.jpg 01111_UdrYV03af8_300x300.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:49 PM

If the engine turns over and has compression, it shouldnt take to much to get it going......

Not running, I would pay a couple of hundred for it

• obar said thank you

#3 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Depending on local market conditions, I would say non- running tractor with deck $200 -$300. Dozer blade $100.

Joe
  • obar said thank you

#4 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Welcome to GTT!!!!

That's a great looking project.

I'd agree with the prices indicated.   But double that if it's running.  Change the oil before you try to start it.

If you decide to advertise it - a wash will add value and keep away some of the tire-kickers and low-ballers.  Also I hope you can get bigger pictures for the ad.

Value may depend on why it won't start.  Any idea why it was parked?

• obar said thank you

#5 obar OFFLINE  

obar
  • Member No: 44330
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Welcome to GTT!!!!

That's a great looking project.

I'd agree with the prices indicated.   But double that if it's running.  Change the oil before you try to start it.

If you decide to advertise it - a wash will add value and keep away some of the tire-kickers and low-ballers.  Also I hope you can get bigger pictures for the ad.

Value may depend on why it won't start.  Any idea why it was parked?

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I am glad I found a forum for so specific of a tractor. After talking with my family I discovered it was my grandfather's tractor. He apparently used it for just about everything on the 2+ acres where he lived. After he passed away my mother and grandma never really used it and it just stayed in the barn as is.

I'm not really a mechanic type but I would love to try and start it. So change the oil first? Does it take regular gas? Check spark plugs? Should I put a trickle charger on the battery or after 10+ years is the battery toast? Would most of my questions be answered in the manuals I found for it?

Thanks again for the advice.

-Ryan

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I am glad I found a forum for so specific of a tractor. After talking with my family I discovered it was my grandfather's tractor. He apparently used it for just about everything on the 2+ acres where he lived. After he passed away my mother and grandma never really used it and it just stayed in the barn as is.

I'm not really a mechanic type but I would love to try and start it. So change the oil first? Does it take regular gas? Check spark plugs? Should I put a trickle charger on the battery or after 10+ years is the battery toast? Would most of my questions be answered in the manuals I found for it?

Thanks again for the advice.

-Ryan

Would be great if you can keep it and work/learn how to use and maintain it.

My sentimental side hopes it creates a positive connection with your past / your grandfather.

As for the mechanics.  I wanted to start the discussion - but will step aside for small engine experts to reply.

In addition to getting the motor running, the manuals should provide maintenance schedule.  They are probably over-due now.

• obar said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:05 AM

Welcome to GTT. I would check the gas tank for rust or residue. If there is either in it you will probably need to clean it and the carburator. The battery is most likely beyond saving. You can download the engine manual from our manuals section. Working on a garden tractor will be a good way to learn about mechanics. You have a 40+ year old tractor there that can give alot more years of service if you take care of it. It is much better built than anything under $4000 today. Ask questions when you want help. Pictures will help clarify your problem when asking. Make a copy of your original manual. Use the copy when working on the tractor so that you can mark it up. Save the original manual as it is. Good Luck, Rick
  • TomLGT195 and obar have said thanks

#8 Oppie OFFLINE  

Oppie
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41798
  • 30 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Welcome!

Thats a nice fixer upper. Hope the starting, and cleaning of her goes well. Good luck!

• obar said thank you

#9 ddfd37 OFFLINE  

ddfd37
  • Member No: 48940
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:04 AM

ford 120.jpg   been working on this old ford!  not sure of year but she old (help with Year would be great) as i am more JD guy but love the look of this ford!  got it running and new belts for drive deck all redone only problem it has a hydrolic pump to raise and lower deck and seals are leaking and cant find parts for the pump anywhere   but love driving it LOLford 120.jpg

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:23 AM

attachicon.gifford 120.jpg  been working on this old ford!  not sure of year but she old (help with Year would be great) as i am more JD guy but love the look of this ford!  got it running and new belts for drive deck all redone only problem it has a hydrolic pump to raise and lower deck and seals are leaking and cant find parts for the pump anywhere   but love driving it LOLattachicon.gifford 120.jpg

Nice looking Ford. A few more pics of all sides and some engine #'s and we might get it pinned down within a few years. What does the pump look like?

#11 ddfd37 OFFLINE  

ddfd37
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Will get numbers of unit it is out in the shop and get more pics and a picture of the pump!   and thanks kenny i found manual that you uploaded for that 120    thanks will be even bigger help now!!  she runs like a dream and cuts just cant raise and lower deck!  will have pictures to follow and thanks again for the great help!  

#12 ddfd37 OFFLINE  

ddfd37
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:31 AM

looked at the serial numbers on the ford 120, serial number on frame is 53093 6497 and running a k341 motor D020694 spec 47238B. pump is a hyrdo-unit mode l15A86 serial number 46269 and pump is leaking oil needs new oil seals just cant find seals or can a different pump fit on!! age of unit would be great or any other info would be great thanks all for the help!!!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:12 AM

looked at the serial numbers on the ford 120, serial number on frame is 53093 6497 and running a k341 motor D020694 spec 47238B. pump is a hyrdo-unit mode l15A86 serial number 46269 and pump is leaking oil needs new oil seals just cant find seals or can a different pump fit on!! age of unit would be great or any other info would be great thanks all for the help!!!

That is a 1968 tractor, but should have a K301 (12HP). Here is a thread I started on the model #'s.

Your engine #'s do point to a K301, 1968 model.

May be some other folks that can help on that pump. Have you thought about taking the pump to a hydraulics shop? They may be able to help find those seals for you.

• ddfd37 said thank you

#14 ddfd37 OFFLINE  

ddfd37
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 07:51 AM

have taken pump to two differnt shops and nothing!  but seeing if i can find repalcement pump for machine!  had it running and cutting two days ago only problem is lifting deck and lowering it   will keep looking !  thanks all