#16 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:42 AM

Why dont you just try and find an actual flail mower to tow behind your GT.  I bought a Mott Flail Mower and absolutely love it.  Its super quiet, and cuts excellent.  I think I paid around $200 for this one.  I know Ive seen another one around here on CL for $300.  I highly recommend it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• photo1-2.jpg
  • photo2-2.jpg
  • photo3-1.jpg
  • photo4-2.jpg
  • photo5-1.jpg
  • IMG_2116.jpg
  • IMG_2115.jpg
  • IMG_2118.jpg
  • IMG_2121.jpg

• Rock farmer said thank you

#17 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 03:42 PM

So, that works as a finish mower. But, will do the rough stuff too? I've never seen one.

Joe

Nice Ford by the way!
  • mowinman2 said thank you

#18 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Why dont you just try and find an actual flail mower to tow behind your GT.  I bought a Mott Flail Mower and absolutely love it.  Its super quiet, and cuts excellent.  I think I paid around $200 for this one.  I know Ive seen another one around here on CL for $300.  I highly recommend it. 

Yeah I'd love to find one.  I've only seen one once, a local guy who has about 150 GT's sold me some disc parts and had one.  He said he'd been looking high and low for one and wouldn't part with the one he had.  Nobody in the USA makes them anymore, at least nobody I can find on the internet.  I've found at least 3 companies that make them in Europe and one in Australia, but none of them distribute here in the USA.  It'd be nice if they'd offer it here, or if someone like DR or Swisher started making something like the Mott one.   I think there's a lot of guys out there that'd buy one.  The DR Rough Cut Trail mowers are nice, but they want an arm and a leg for them.  The used ones I've come across have been almost as spendy, for a few hundred more I could buy a used Ford 8N and a rotary cutter.

#19 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:12 PM

They turn at or near engine speed.

Ok how much horsepower do you think that shaft is generating?  Now I'm kinda thinking about running a shaft off the rear PTO to a gear box, mounting that to a spindle with a pulley and a blade, running the pulley with a belt over to another spindle and blade so I can turn two 21" blades. 

#20 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:39 AM

So, that works as a finish mower. But, will do the rough stuff too? I've never seen one.

Joe

Nice Ford by the way!

Thanks.  Ive since sold that ford, and the guy who bought it, has it for sale now. 

It does have the finish blades on it.  Apparently, you could buy short or long blades for these, and this one has the long ones on it, which are the finish blades.  And when you say rough stuff, im not exactly sure what you are describing?....  Flail mowers are exactly what the state uses to maintain the sides of the highway.  It handles tall grass with no problems.  I did a little patch and there were a couple trees coming up.  It took them out too.  They were very small.  No bigger around than your pinky finger.