• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Ok, back with another crazy idea.  So I've been trying to figure out how to build an independently powered rotary cutter to tow behind the LGT145.  Started to weld something up, took the spindles off an old deck I had, found an engine for it, etc, etc.  Basically I'm trying to build a DR tow behind, without having to spend the 3 or $4000.  But I want something that I can raise and lower off the 3pt, and was looking at aftermarket stuff and it hit me: Could a guy take a Ford tiller that's powered off the rear 145's rear PTO, modify the shaft/barrel that carry's the tines and put flail knives on it and make a flail mower?  Would it spin too fast / too slow?  Thoughts?  Ideas?  I dont have a tiller for my tractor yet but there's a guy close to me that has 3 for $75 bucks each and I got to thinking that this might work.  Talk me into it or tell me I'm crazy please!

Here's a pic of the tillers I can get locally:

Ford tillers.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't think they would hold up to speeds for flailmmowing, even if you could get thm spinning that fast.

Next item, why haven't you gotten those tillers yet? For $75 ea, you should own at least one.

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have the later LGT tiller....I know that there are 3 chains and gears in the housing to get it to run slow, as the PTO runs at engine speed....If you eliminated some of the gearing, you could get it running fast enough to spin a flail mower shaft

• MH81 said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:09 PM

The gearbox units on tillers would never hold up under speeds required to make a flail.  Besides, a center gearcase would not allow for a complete cut.  You would leave a strip uncut where the gearcase is.  You have to run a flail off the end of the shaft.

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:03 PM

The gearbox units on tillers would never hold up under speeds required to make a flail.

I'm not exactly disagreeing, but just for the sake of discussion: Tiller gear boxes must take the stress of digging dirt. A flail mower just cuts grass. Is the problem speed or torque?

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm not exactly disagreeing, but just for the sake of discussion: Tiller gear boxes must take the stress of digging dirt. A flail mower just cuts grass. Is the problem speed or torque?

Speed....flails really move!  

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:30 PM

How fast do flails normally turn? Could it be auxiliary powered by a separate engine mounted on top of the mower? Maybe use the tiller body so you didn't have to fabricate it?

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:35 PM

I don't think they would hold up to speeds for flailmmowing, even if you could get thm spinning that fast.
Next item, why haven't you gotten those tillers yet? For $75 ea, you should own at least one.

I have one of the open sided Jakes built between 72 and 76. I can't tell if those tillers will fit or not. Any clue on whether those will work or not?

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have one of the open sided Jakes built between 72 and 76. I can't tell if those tillers will fit or not. Any clue on whether those will work or not?

Those look like the tillers from the nineteen sixties. The do not fit right up to a nineteen seventies tractor. Maybe you could fab something up. But, those tillers run off a side belt. Your tractor would have had a splined drive shaft coming off the rear, offset to the left. The lift and PTO drive for the seventies tractors are rare!

Joe

#10 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Yeah it didn't look like they worked for the rear pto so that's why I didn't rush out to buy one. Ok, next idea then if a tiller to flail won't work, Simplicity/AC used to make a front mount brush cutter called the B-10. You can google that and find a couple pics. A front mount setup would actually work better than a tow behind. I'm considering trying to replicate one of these and incorporate the design into the dozer blade mount (so I could interchange it with the blade) and run it off the mule drive. I need to find an exploded diagram of how it's built, can't find one on here.

#11 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:16 AM

simplicity b10-1.jpg

simplicity b10-2.jpg

Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 10:26 AM

The brush/weed cutter is a model #990370.  Not sure if they called it by another model #, but B-10 is an Allis garden tractor.

• mowinman2 and Firemang have said thanks

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Those end drive tillers would make a good flail. It would only require beefing up the driveline and changing the ratios. You would also have to add some stiffeners to the shell, as well as motor mounts. It would be harder to run off the pto but it can be done.

Good solid roller bearings with 1-2" shafts and decent sprockets. A good #40-60 series chain should do the trick, The bearings and stiffness of the unit determine how much power and torque it can take.

Edited by Chopperhed, August 16, 2013 - 08:25 PM.

• Firemang said thank you

#14 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 12:23 AM

Can anybody tell me how fast the PTO's on the open sided Jake/Fords turn?

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Can anybody tell me how fast the PTO's on the open sided Jake/Fords turn?

They turn at or near engine speed.

• Firemang said thank you