• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 988 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 03:41 PM

I just picked up one of my favourite garden tractors, a Shaw Du-All.  I've wanted a Shaw for a very, very long time, and they are at the very top of my bucket list of tractors.  This one is a 1950 R12T.  It uses a Wisconsin twin cylinder engine (a model TF - around 14hp), an automotive clutch, a Borg Warner transmission, a Ford rear end, and I believe the seat spring/bracket came from the bumper of a Ford (or so I read).  It seems that, just like many other manufacturers of the era, that they made use of a lot of used automotive parts to build their machines.  Anyway, this one has brand new tires, but it will need a lot of work to restore it.  I also don't believe that the front axle is original (and the tie rod, but that is more obvious).  This will be my big winter restoration project.  These Shaws are very hard to find, at least around here.  Unfortunately, I had to sell my Gibson to pay for it, but I know I'll be really, really happy with the Shaw.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Great project, not many to be found around this area either.

Keep us posted as you work on it.

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing your rebuild thread! :thumbs:

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Good luck on the rebuild!  I have a guy locally who owns a pair of those birds.  He hooked them one year to a puller sled, and they beat a Farmall Cub if I remember right. 

Ben W.

#5 jtrojek OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 988 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'm guessing that the front axle isn't Shaw.  Does anyone recognize what it's from?  I wondered if it was pulled from something else.  All of the Shaws that I've seen have that sort of wishbone front axle.  This looks like it came from something else.  I don't think it was fabricated by an amateur; rather, I think it was lifted off another tractor and adapted to fit.  I could be wrong though.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time.  Just wondering if anyone knows.