Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Seen Or Heard Of This One Brillion Gt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#16 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Very rare tractors, and I've only seen pics of a couple of them.  Peter, aka Powerking56 lives in NH.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Well, she sold for $139.05

Anyone here get her?  I think that was a great bargain for such a rare unit!  Good to see a bargain can still be had these days.

#18 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well, she sold for $139.05

Anyone here get her?  I think that was a great bargain for such a rare unit!  Good to see a bargain can still be had these days.

I was the one who got her.  Been sitting at the computer for the last hour waiting for it to end.  That was a great deal on it.  And this is the 3rd bargain this year I've got on rare tractors, so the deals are still out there.     Stewart

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Great to hear we'll be able to keep up with this tractor through you Stewart!   :thumbs:

#20 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 02:52 PM

That's a really neat little tractor. Glad to hear you got it!

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Really hope that someone here is watching this thing.  2 hours left and still dirt cheap!  I know it'd be in my garage if I had a way to get it here or it was closer.  May still go up yet, but currently is a sweet deal.

I'm not convinced that this tractor has anything to do with Ariens, I wish someone could tell us. I believe they would have badged it Ariens Bros, or Ariens, When this was made Ariens was a big company that supplied the war effort and was making large farm implements and walk behinds, all I've seen were badged as Ariens. This little tractor was probably a late 50's or very early 60s tractor, and at the time Ariens was selling a Snapper like RER and a Mantiwetoc [sic] front engine mower, and I believe they may have used some early 1960s Simplicities. I sure would like to know more about the little guy

#22 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I was the one who got her.  Been sitting at the computer for the last hour waiting for it to end.  That was a great deal on it.  And this is the 3rd bargain this year I've got on rare tractors, so the deals are still out there.     Stewart

Please let us know about any history you find out on the little GT, I've not been totally convinced it's a Ariens, but I's sure like to know for sure. Thanks, OkieGT

#23 scotsman OFFLINE  

scotsman

• Member No: 2281
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think I have it figured out..

Both Ariens, and Brillion Iron Works still exist.

Both are located in Brillion Wisconsin.

Current Ariens webpage says:

A spark flew and a legend was born. It was 1933 and their Brillion Iron Works was gone. They had worked hard over the course of 40 years to build that business – only to close it when times got tough during the Great Depression.

But Henry Ariens and his three sons were not deterred by losing the foundry just a few years earlier. They still had plenty of inventive ideas and a simple but sturdy garage in which to turn their plans into reality.

http://www.ariensco....es/default.aspx

Current Brillion Iron Works webpage says:

History of Brillion Iron Works.

The predecessor to Brillion Iron Works was first organized in 1897 as a small machine shop manufacturing farm tools. In 1900, the plant was relocated and new buildings were constructed; and the foundry was then added. The former company ceased operation in 1933, but was reorganized and started business January 1, 1934, with R.D. Peters as General Manager. From 1934 and its payroll of 20 people, current employment has grown to approximately 600 people.

http://www.brillioni...ks.com/history/

So, before 1933, the Brillion Iron Works company was owned by members of the Ariens family.

And apparently founded by members of the Ariens family 40 years before, in the late 19th century.

They "lost" the company in 1933, were probably forced to close it due to financial difficulties due to the Great Depression..

then they went on to form a new company, the Ariens company, which still exists today.

That wasnt the end of the Brillion Iron Works company though..they started up again in 1934, under new management.

Someone new apparently bought the company and made a new start with it.

So, The Ariens Company, and the Brillion Iron Works company do share some common heritage..but not since 1933.

Since 1933 they have been unrelated companys.

So this particular tractor, probably made in the 1960's, has nothing whatsoever to do with Ariens.

Scot

#24 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Please let us know about any history you find out on the little GT, I've not been totally convinced it's a Ariens, but I's sure like to know for sure. Thanks, OkieGT

Will be waiting to hear his findings for sure, but I don't think it had anything to do with Ariens.  That was allready discussed in the thread and some of the links provided.  More likely has more in association with the company that makes farm equipment yet to this day.  The serial number tag looks very similar in design to the one on our Brillion cultipacker.

#25 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Glad to hear that someone from the site was able to nab it.  Watch out for the police cause I think you stole that thing!  LOL!!!

#26 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I think I have it figured out..

Both Ariens, and Brillion Iron Works still exist.

Both are located in Brillion Wisconsin.

Current Ariens webpage says:

http://www.ariensco....es/default.aspx

Current Brillion Iron Works webpage says:

http://www.brillioni...ks.com/history/

So, before 1933, the Brillion Iron Works company was owned by members of the Ariens family.

And apparently founded by members of the Ariens family 40 years before, in the late 19th century.

They "lost" the company in 1933, were probably forced to close it due to financial difficulties due to the Great Depression..

then they went on to form a new company, the Ariens company, which still exists today.

That wasnt the end of the Brillion Iron Works company though..they started up again in 1934, under new management.

Someone new apparently bought the company and made a new start with it.

So, The Ariens Company, and the Brillion Iron Works company do share some common heritage..but not since 1933.

Since 1933 they have been unrelated companys.

So this particular tractor, probably made in the 1960's, has nothing whatsoever to do with Ariens.

Scot

I think Scot is exactly right as I understood the info I had from Ariens

#27 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks all.  I made contact with the seller and will be going to pick it up saturday afternoon.  When I get it back I'll start a new thread and put some more pics up.  I have to check my back issues of Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine because I think there was an articel about them that had some history on the company.  I'll let everyone know when I find it.     Stewart

#28 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Great buy diesel nut. Had I been closer, you would have paid more.

#29 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Great buy diesel nut. Had I been closer, you would have paid more.

Thanks.  If I had been bidding against anymore people I probably wouldnt have gotten it.  It was almost at my max bid that I could afford and justify at the time.  But at least now it'll be at a good home.         Stewart

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thanks all.  I made contact with the seller and will be going to pick it up saturday afternoon.  When I get it back I'll start a new thread and put some more pics up.  I have to check my back issues of Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine because I think there was an articel about them that had some history on the company.  I'll let everyone know when I find it.     Stewart

If I can remember, I wil check my old issues. There was an article about 2 to 3 years ago, I just don't remember which issue.