Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Of Replacement For 1886 Regulator?

bolens 1886 k482 regulator rectifier bolens large frame

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Working on the Bolens 1886 I bought, I finally got idle mixture needle drilled out and replaced in the carb and the engine running.  I noticed when I hooked up the battery cable there was a spark between cable and batter post--even with the key off.

Well, I found out where the problem is--there's a short in the Regulator/Rectifier.  This is the solid state unit, not the old, coil/point type like cars used to have (and earlier Bolens models).

The item isn't made anymore, so I'm looking for a replacement I can graft in. It has a single phase 30 amp alternator on it, so I've been looking at motorcycle regulator rectifiers, which have a similar charging system.

Has anyone else come across this problem?  If so, how did you deal with it?

TIA,

Utah Smitty

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:12 PM

What do you call these?

http://www.ebay.com/...ulator&_sacat=0

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I'm not sure of how your set-up is but I did see guys use Ford regulators on automotive type swaps  Here's a site that might help

http://www.junkyardg...ing/ford02.html

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Utah Smitty ONLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Those are 15 amp regulator rectifiers.  My Bolens 1886 uses a 30 amp R/R. Here's some pics.

IMG_20130812_183418_006.jpg IMG_20130813_184626_880.jpg

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 14, 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm not sure of how your set-up is but I did see guys use Ford regulators on automotive type swaps  Here's a site that might help

http://www.junkyardg...ing/ford02.html

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Smitty

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:58 AM

I would think you could install new diodes. Available at Radio Shack.

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I don't think what I posted about those Ford parts  would help you because it's only a regulator .  I can't remember where I've seen something like that before ,

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think the one on my 318 Onan is only 15 amps

#9 Utah Smitty ONLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't think what I posted about those Ford parts  would help you because it's only a regulator .  I can't remember where I've seen something like that before ,

I appreciate the link.  I figured I'd have to set up some diodes in conjunction with a regulator if I couldn't find an all-in-one unit.  Fortunately another GTTalk member has a used one he'll sell me.

Smitty

• Alc said thank you

#10 Utah Smitty ONLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think the one on my 318 Onan is only 15 amps

This is the first 30 amp system I've seen--everything else has been 15 amps or less.  But, it's nice to have since it means I'll have plenty of power for lights, and ultimately for the blower in the cab that I want to build for it.

Smitty

• Alc said thank you

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I would think you could install new diodes. Available at Radio Shack.

Thanks... I had to do that once upon a time for the R/R for my BMW R65 and it worked out well.  I'm just not sure if it's the diodes, or the regulator itself that's bad and I don't have an internal schematic that shows me where to trouble shoot it.

I have narrowed it down to the BAT + terminal that has one of the smaller guage lines from the alternator and the wire from the ammeter/ignition switch connected to it. I previously checked the wires from the switch, ammeter, circuit breaker, etc. to ensure they weren't the problem.

Fortunately a member of the forum has a used unit he'll sell me, so that should solve my problem.

Regards,

Smitty

#12 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Back just before Christmas, I bought 5 bolens 1886's and of those 5, one had a working charging system. It turns out that the rectifier / regulator (like your picture shows) was bad. The diodes on the rectifier go bad and that destroys the regulator (the little black box attached to the heat sink) and the stator windings. Replacement diodes are available but that little black box (controls the alternator field strength) is not. I've considered trying to reverse engineer it but don't know for sure what the regulator circuit looks like. If I could find a schematic for it it would be simple, but no luck finding that so far. The check for the stator is simple, the 2 black leads must measure a very low resistance (1 end isolated from the rectifier) between them and must measure infinite resistance to ground. they also must measure infinite resistance to the red wires. The red wires must also measure a low resistance between them (1 end isolated from the rectifier) and also cannot be shorted to ground (or the black pair). I did find a source for new old stock stator coils for the Kohler, but not for the rectifier / regulator. I did some research and found the original manufacturer is a company called Synchro Corp in Moab Alabama but no information about the circuitry. If someone can get more information, I would like to persue re-creating this for my other 4 tractors and yours too.

Bud

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info, Bud.  I found a couple places online that sells 30 amp regulator/rectifiers for motorcycles. 

Jason at motoelectrix.com, and Kyle at electrosport.com.

Jason sells a "Shindengen" brand that has a good reputation--based on the reviews I read. They make a universal model that will work on the Bolens.

They're also on eBay.  I emailed Jason--the owner, and he responded very quickly with information on how to hook it up... They are pricey at $130, but shipping is free. Here's a link to his website:

http://motoelectrixcom.myshopify.com/

Kyle at electrosport.com was also extremely helpful... the model he suggested is actually for Motoguzzi and some BMW motorcycles, and the price is similar to the Shindengen. Here's a link:

http://www.electrosp...rrectifier.html

Both of these units offer come with weather-proof connections and the plugs, connectors, and wires to hook them up.

The day after I ordered one of these, Eric from PA told me of a Bolens Reg/Rec he has and I bought it from him... I'll probably install his, and keep the motoelectrix model in case it dies.

• Bud W said thank you

#14 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Smitty,

Make sure you check the stator before you hook up that rect reg or it will let the smoke out.

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Smitty,

Make sure you check the stator before you hook up that rect reg or it will let the smoke out.

Yeah, it's not a good thing when you let that vital black smoke escape!!

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 1886, k482, regulator rectifier, bolens large frame