• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Lovers of old iron of all kinds take notice, even the railroad likes old school iron.

Union Pacific Railroad has publicly announced it has reached an agreement with a museum to re-acquire #4014, an ALCO "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 steam locomotive. Its intentions are to put it back into operation for its steam program.

These are massive locomotives, weighing in at well over 1 million pounds, they were built to power our nation through WWII and were decomissioned in around 1960. I sincerly hope I get to hear and see this marvel of engineering brought back to life. This will be the largest operating steam engine in the world once it fires again if I'm not mistaken.

The big boys may have been the true icon of the Union Pacific. They carried our nation through the adversity of the last world war and into peacetime again. Now we will get to see one that somehow avoided the torch, brought back from a very long rest. The UP has one minor problem, the road number 4014 is currently held by a modern diesel... I'm sure 4014 has the senority here. Beware rails of the west, something unimaginable is about to move once again.

I suspect the UP will make a "box car" move of 4014 in the next month or 2 and there should be plenty of video on the net.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:38 PM

I am an avid RR enthusiast and have a lot few model RR layouts I mess with in a few different scales but full scale always takes the cake and I will be watching for the big boy to chug down the rails again.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:28 AM

About 7-8 years ago a Challenger came through and made a stop in our town.   That thing was huge and was very impressive!   Some day I hope to see a Big Boy.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Awesome!  That would be something that I would go a long ways to see.

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 07:18 AM

If any of you get a chance to the UP Bailey Yard in North Platte stop and take it in.  This is great to see the original 4014 resurrected from many years of slumber. 

http://www.uprr.com/...0723_4014.shtml

Edited by Trav1s, August 13, 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I applaud Union Pacific for acknowledging there proud history , and for there great relationship with there customers and the general public .  They have always had a strong steam program .

I wish CSX ( the railroad I work for ) was as gracious with acknowledging there history . The worst part is CSX is made up of a lot of railroads with proud histories , B&O , C&O , L&N , WM , just to name a few .  

I would love to see an Allegheny , Berkshire , or Greenbrier chugging down the track .

I remember when CSX and NS purchased Conrail about 15 years ago , CSX repainted the Conrail engines as fast as they could get them in the shop and in 6 months you couldn't find an ex Conrail engine in its old paint scheme .

Unluckily I live to far away and unless I plan a long road trip will never see any of UP's steam , but if I get out west I'll go out of my way to see one .

Edited by Jlaws, August 13, 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:55 AM

This past June, when our daughter & her family were visiting, we went to the train museum in Dulth.  They had several steam engines on display and there was one (a smaller one) that you could climb up into the cab and check out.  It was all pretty cool.  My wifes grandfather used to talk about riding on trains all over the country with steam engines. 

#8 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:00 PM

A Challenger has been through here a few times, lot of iron there!

WIfe & I were on a Big Boy on static display at Green Bay several years ago, massive!  I have some video footage of UP's steamers, including Big Boys.

Will be interesting to see if it really happens, in the past, UP said it would be too expensive & the Big Boy couldn't go on many lines because of it's turning radius. 

Hope it happens!  ~~  Lowell

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:28 PM

That is awesome, I would love to see it.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Reckon one of my weighted down GT's could pull it?..............NO!    That thing is awesome!  I've never really been a train enthusiast, but who couldn't see the majesty in such a mighty machine!

• KennyP said thank you

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Reckon one of my weighted down GT's could pull it?

The DragonFLy could drag it. :rolling:

• olcowhand said thank you

#12 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:43 PM

It would bring a tear to my eye if UP was to do this.  Am curious as to where they would run it, though.  I suppose they could turn it around on a Y if need be.  At any rate, I will be waiting in the wings to see this giant move under her own power once again.  Here is my 4006 Athearn HO Big Boy.  Along with my favorite photo of a Big Boy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3313602117_f77bf65371_z.jpg
  • 4004.jpg

#13 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:20 PM

It would bring a tear to my eye if UP was to do this.  Am curious as to where they would run it, though.  I suppose they could turn it around on a Y if need be.  At any rate, I will be waiting in the wings to see this giant move under her own power once again.  Here is my 4006 Athearn HO Big Boy.  Along with my favorite photo of a Big Boy.

Your second pic reminds me of one of the videos I have, I think it's in the "Land of the Giants" series, a Big Boy going through a train yard, smoking heavily.  Narrator says it was actually being pushed by a smaller locomotive, smoke is from tires being burned in the firebox.  There is a clothesline with light colored clothes hanging downwind!  ~~  Lowell

#14 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Great to see a loco from MY ERA making water work again.  But... let's go easy on the smoke shows, the "environment" you know!:D

There is (I can't find it at the moment) a photo of 3 pretty girls (fairly scantily clad for the '40's)  pulling a New York Central "Niagara" (4-8-4) in a publicity shot.  They were full roller bearing, trucks and drivers so a garden tractor would make a nice shot (preferrably a Gravely L!):D

In the '40's my Dad used to take me down along the Hudson Division for photo ops, Harmon Yards, Oscawanna Station, Roa Hook, Garrison, etc.  Railroad fan or not there is just nothing like being 20' from the mainline when a Hudson (4-6-4) or Niagara comes by at 80mph or so with a name passenger train.  Nothing!  I wish I could stand with him there again and...

The NYC had a lot of constraints against BIG steam, bridge clearances, tight radius curves and not having much in the high % grades to work freight they didn't bother with giant articulated engines much (they did have a few in switching heavy freight).  When they needed power they just added another engine (The union liked it that way, 2 entire crews vs. 1 for Big Boy!).

No matter what the road, gauge or the size of the locomotive...  I'm a steam fan.

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:24 PM

We have one here at Steamtown in Scranton Pa.  They have had it a while and I had the privelege of seeing it last year when we took our daughter there for the day.  (she LOVESSSSSS trains).  I took some shots of it and will have to post them up.