#1 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I have a Lenovo tower PC. I had left it powered up last night. When I got up this morning, there were error messages indicating hard drive problems. It would not shut down normally, so I had to push and hold the power button until it powered off. Powered it back on and got the dreaded "Operating System Not Found" message! I fiddled with it for a bit, but had to get ready for work. When I got home tonight, I tried booting up several times with the same results. At one point, I vibrated the tower (a well-calibrated "THUMP", actually), then tried to boot. To my amazement, I saw a "configuration changed" message, and it eventually came up. Quickly, I moved all of the files I wanted to save to a USB key. Got that done, then shut down. Tried to boot again, got absolutely nothing. I powered it off, got into the case, and made sure everything was seated good, and reseated the memory DIMMs. I took the CPU fan off of the heat sink and cleaned both. Tried to get the heat sink off of the CPU chip, but couldn't figure out how to separate the two. Tried to power up, and it acted worse than before...... power light would flash, but the tower would not come to life at all. Went online and found a Hardware Maintenance Manual for the PC, and figured out how to unlatch the heat sink from the CPU chip. I took it all apart, reseated everything again, I tried to take the heat sink off of the CPU chip. The chip came off with the heat sink, which it should not do! Fortunately, the pins of the chip were not damaged. I gently pried the chip off of the heat sink (stuck on tightly with heat conducting compound), then reseated the chip into it's holder, reattached the heat sink (applied new heat conducting compound) and cooling fan, and powered up. Came up like a charm!!!! Boy, was I relieved!!!!

I have a Ubuntu operating system. When it came up, I ran all of the tests that were available, including CPU, memory , and hard drive tests. All were good. I was especially glad to see that the SMART info for the hard drive indicated a well-functioning hard drive!!

Back in business, finally! (All of this was during the canning of 7 quarts of green beans!!!!)

• LilysDad, JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Where did you buy your PC?  I've never heard of the tower or operating system

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Where did you buy your PC?  I've never heard of the tower or operating system

Lenovo bought IBM's PC business several years back. I have a co-worker who had this PC before me. It had a virus, and he either didn't know how to fix it, or needed a good excuse to get a new PC! He told me about it and said he was going to trash the PC. I asked him if I could have it, so he kept the hard drive (he was worried about personal data) and gave me the PC. My dad had a spare 80GB hard drive that he gave me. I knew there were free OS's out there and asked a few people that ran them, and settled on FREE Ubuntu operating system (it's a Linux-based operating system, downloaded a version that was bootable from a USB key. It then had the option of installing it on the hard drive). For this particular PC, Ubuntu works good for what I use it for..... mostly web browsing, and emails.

After this latest problem, I've decided to use the PC's hard drive only for Ubuntu, and will store my files on a USB key.... multiple backup's, of course.

Edited by nra1ifer, August 13, 2013 - 07:21 AM.

• JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Nice to hear that you were able to save what you wanted to the USB key. Sounds like you spend a good deal of time on the fix and got the beans canned at the same time.

Dick

• nra1ifer and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:22 AM

I don't think I would trust that Hard-drive.  Usually when you get that "No operating system installed" error message it means the hard-drive is not spinning up.  OCH just went through the same thing on his Lenovo.  Lenovo is a Chinese computer manufacturer, I'm not sure if IBM bought them out or just partnered with them.  

Paul, do you realize that you could have put the USB stick in and booted off it instead of the HD?  You can do that with just about any of the Linux Distro's.

Glad you got things working

• nra1ifer said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Yep, sounds just like my Lenovo did a few weeks back.  Failing hard drive.  I could whack it to get the hard drive going, but finally it got too frustrating.  Ten to one it has a Seagate hard drive in it.  I advise sourcing a new hard drive fast, but don't get another Seagate!

• nra1ifer and OkieGt have said thanks

#7 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 02:27 PM

I also would say "Be very afraid!"  Drive is ready to take a dive.  Have you considered a SSD swap?  :smilewink:

#8 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I don't think I would trust that Hard-drive.  Usually when you get that "No operating system installed" error message it means the hard-drive is not spinning up.  OCH just went through the same thing on his Lenovo.  Lenovo is a Chinese computer manufacturer, I'm not sure if IBM bought them out or just partnered with them.  

Paul, do you realize that you could have put the USB stick in and booted off it instead of the HD?  You can do that with just about any of the Linux Distro's.

IBM sold it's pc business to Lenovo a few years ago.

• nra1ifer and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'll definitely be getting a new hard drive to use. When I first downloaded Ubuntu. I made it a bootable key, tried it, liked it, then installed it on the hard drive. I've looked for that key, but I think I formatted it a long time ago. I have so many keys around here (I get LOTS of them from work.... firmware updates for the IBM stuff I work on comes on it, then the old versions are discarded) it will take some time to go through all of them.

Most if not all PC's come from China these days, whether the parent company is Chinese or not. IBM partnered with Lenovo for several years as IBM transitioned out of the PC business. Lenovo now wholly owns what used to be IBM's PC business. IBM coined the name "Personal Computer" back in the early 80's. Remember IBM's "PC"???

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:29 PM

I also would say "Be very afraid!"  Drive is ready to take a dive.  Have you considered a SSD swap?  :smilewink:

I would LOVE a solid-state drive!!! That WILL be one of the options I looks at.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:39 AM

A failing HDD would not shut down a system for no reason.

I'm betting that it's a failing/aging power supply that's not producing enough power to start the HDD motor.  It tales a lot more power to start an electric motor than to keep it running once started.

PSUs lose their capacity over time, and usually the 'store bought' systems tend to use PSUs that are just barely adequate to start with.

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:42 AM

I finally remembered last night that I had given my bootable Ubuntu USB key to a co-worker. I downloaded another image and made another bootable key (32-bit OS), will make another one for a 64-bit OS.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:59 AM

A failing HDD would not shut down a system for no reason.

I'm betting that it's a failing/aging power supply that's not producing enough power to start the HDD motor.  It tales a lot more power to start an electric motor than to keep it running once started.

PSUs lose their capacity over time, and usually the 'store bought' systems tend to use PSUs that are just barely adequate to start with.

I put another hard drive in mine, and all is fine, so not the power supply in my case.  

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:44 AM

IBM sold it's pc business to Lenovo a few years ago.

Most if not all PC's come from China these days, whether the parent company is Chinese or not. IBM partnered with Lenovo for several years as IBM transitioned out of the PC business. Lenovo now wholly owns what used to be IBM's PC business. IBM coined the name "Personal Computer" back in the early 80's. Remember IBM's "PC"???

Thanks, I knew one bought out the other.  This old brain just can't recall like it used to.

IBM did a lot to make the computer a house hold appliance.  The IBM PC made it possible for the clones to develop and created the open architecture so you could customize and upgrade your computer.  This caused the price to come down and really made computing affordable.  Glad you got your computer running and have a new key in case you need it.

#15 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:59 PM

Found a 160GB SATA drive, loaded Ubuntu on it, and is running now!

This drive should do much better.