Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wide Frame Spindles On Narrow Frame Axle?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:30 PM

I am working on building a cub 122 puller and want to drop the front end down. I have been told that the whole axle from a wide frame can be swapped in and then install the drop spindle kit from one of the pulling parts suppliers.  BUT...... since cub cadet never thought it wise to put a grease zerk in the front axle i cant get the axle pivot pin out.  Ive tried heat, penetrating oils, and beating on it with the BIG hammer...nothing has made it budge.  The axle still pivots nicely, (yes it has some wear in the mounts but not bad), everything else on it seems to be fine, and a trip to the machine shop is going to cost a lot more than i want to spend.  

So here is the question- will the spindle from a wide frame front axle mount on a narrow frame axle with minor modification? by minor i mean maybe some shimming, grinding, custom tie rod or drag link, etc.

#2 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 01:05 PM

I am working on building a cub 122 puller and want to drop the front end down. I have been told that the whole axle from a wide frame can be swapped in and then install the drop spindle kit from one of the pulling parts suppliers.  BUT...... since cub cadet never thought it wise to put a grease zerk in the front axle i cant get the axle pivot pin out.  Ive tried heat, penetrating oils, and beating on it with the BIG hammer...nothing has made it budge.  The axle still pivots nicely, (yes it has some wear in the mounts but not bad), everything else on it seems to be fine, and a trip to the machine shop is going to cost a lot more than i want to spend.  

So here is the question- will the spindle from a wide frame front axle mount on a narrow frame axle with minor modification? by minor i mean maybe some shimming, grinding, custom tie rod or drag link, etc.

I can't answer your axle swap question  but I just want to comment that my 106 has a grease zerk on the axle pivot housing on the back side.

Larry

Edited by lrhredjb, August 13, 2013 - 01:06 PM.

• Clippnalawn said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 03:12 PM

I know this question may be dumb but, did you get the roll pin out of the axle pin?  If you did and it will not come out go this route.  Cut the pin out with an angle grinder and remove the axle.  Drill out the axle pin and replace it with a 3/4" grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut on it.  I did this with my 100 and this is nicer because you can clamp the axle tighter and take out some of the play in the steering system.  I also center drilled the bolt and then drilled into the side of the bolt and made a groove on the outside of it and threaded the end for a grease zerk.  Made a REAL nice setup.

• Clippnalawn and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I can't answer your axle swap question  but I just want to comment that my 106 has a grease zerk on the axle pivot housing on the back side.

Larry

Is yours actually on the housing or on the axle?  My 107 is on the axle itself.  Just curious.

#5 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Is yours actually on the housing or on the axle?  My 107 is on the axle itself.  Just curious.

It is on the axle housing at the pivot pin location.

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Some of them had them and some didn't.

#7 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:44 PM

I know this question may be dumb but, did you get the roll pin out of the axle pin? If you did and it will not come out go this route. Cut the pin out with an angle grinder and remove the axle. Drill out the axle pin and replace it with a 3/4" grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut on it. I did this with my 100 and this is nicer because you can clamp the axle tighter and take out some of the play in the steering system. I also center drilled the bolt and then drilled into the side of the bolt and made a groove on the outside of it and threaded the end for a grease zerk. Made a REAL nice setup.

Yes the roll pin is out, I'll try cutting the pivot pin out. That is a really good idea about using the bolt to help clamp it together. Thanks!

Edited by Clippnalawn, August 13, 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Yes the roll pin is out, I'll try cutting the pivot pin out. That is a really good idea about using the bolt to help clamp it together. Thanks!

You are quite welcome.  If you need pics let me know, I can stop by the farm where I keep it and get some for you.

#9 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:51 AM

I had the same problem with my 100. Two hours, 3 men a hammer and heat finally got the pin out. I replaced the axle with one I had from a 147. This axle has the grease fitting already installed . I was going to bolt the axle in also but the 147 pin was like new, so it was installed. A friend of mine has the wide frame axle under his cub. you can take the spindle to a machine shop and they can move the mount farther up, dropping the front. I haven't tried this yet, still looking for the correct parts.