Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I've About Had It With Engines!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm beginning to thinkt hat my place has become the place for engines to come and die.  Here's what I'm looking at right now.

Echo weed whacker.  I bought this Echo about 3 years ago because I got 20 good years out of my last one.  I got it serviced for summer a couple of months ago and it ran great when I got it back.  Cut everything in its path like it usually does.  Now I can't get it to run full speed.  It just dies.  Thinking it might be old gas, I drained it and mixed fresh.  Now I can get it to run with the choke almost full on if I'm lucky.  I put some carb cleaner in it thinking that the more I run it, the better it will get.  Well it not getting any better.

My daughters go cart has a 6hp Subaru engine.  Up until now the thing started and ran beautifully on the first or second pull every time.  Now it will only idle and it runs real rough whenever I give it gas.  Sometimes it dies but most times it just runs really crappy.  I use ethanol free gas in everything by the way.

Finally, I wanted to take my Speedex to the Portersville show.  I got it started (finally) and it started to kick up a fuss and then it blew the end of the muffler off!  This is a 1937 briggs model Z.  It usually runs really nice and smooth.  What I don't like about this set up is that the gas line is lower where it comes from that tank than it is when it gets to the carb.

Anymore, my engine diagnosis skills are somewhat lacking.  I was never great at it but I seem to have forgotten more than I ever learned.  I'm afraid to touch another engine!  If anyone has any ideas about any of the above, I would love to hear from you.  I'm at my wits end and my daughter would like to buzz thru the trails again before winter comes.

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Carbs, man.  Carbs.  Time to start cleaning your carbs.  Engines only need three things to make them run (an one more to keep them running): Fire, fuel/air mixture and compression.  Oil keeps them running.  If they run at all, they are getting fire.  If they run crappy, the first place to look is the carb, IMHO.  Lack of compression is normally accompanied by weird noises.  I mix Seafoam & Stabil in with the gas as a preventative measure.

• hamman, David Brown, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think the echo might have a bad gas line or a plugged muffler. Cost a coup,e of bucks to swap in new yellow line and nothing to take the muffler off and try it without...

As for the ruberru, no clue... Wish I did...

The Z sounds like timing?
Check your points gap?
How do the valves adjust?

Now, all of these if they were isolated incidents would be frustrating enough... But with them all together... Hmm.
Is it possible that your usual station is getting some bad gas or you got some water in there? Or someone is messing with you? Maybe drain the Subaru, take off the float bowl, clean as best you can and try some fresh stuff from another station... Ethanol or not.
  • David Brown, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:04 PM

It really does sound like you've gotten some bad (ethanol-"enhanced") gas at some point.  I've had very little problem in the last two years since I've been always mixing Seafoam or Stabil into my gas as soon as it goes into the can.  Try taking a carb apart and cleaning it, or at least running Seafoam or similar in the gas.

• David Brown and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Or, I've got a $20 bill and I can have the truck on the trailer in an hour... Just how mad are you and how badly do you want the pieces of []{}%^+* off your lawn??? LOL :rolling:
  • David Brown and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think the echo might have a bad gas line or a plugged muffler. Cost a coup,e of bucks to swap in new yellow line and nothing to take the muffler off and try it without...

As for the ruberru, no clue... Wish I did...

The Z sounds like timing?
Check your points gap?
How do the valves adjust?

Now, all of these if they were isolated incidents would be frustrating enough... But with them all together... Hmm.
Is it possible that your usual station is getting some bad gas or you got some water in there? Or someone is messing with you? Maybe drain the Subaru, take off the float bowl, clean as best you can and try some fresh stuff from another station... Ethanol or not.

Anything is possible.  I usually do give each can a shot of Seafoam when I bring it home.  I've begun using Stabil too.  Took the cover off of the muffler on the Echo.  All clear.  The gas lines are good.  No bubbles or cracks.  They look new actually.

On the Subaru, I took the carb off, drained the gas and checked out the float.  First thought was to adjust the float.  No go as there is no way to do so.  The gas seemed to drain into the oil pan which means the float didn't shut the fuel flow off.  I just don't know.  I blew all the ports in the carb out.  Still looks like new.  No discoloring like it was varnished.

As far as the Speedex is concerned, the points are a good point.  Once I get some time (the way it's looking I'll have to pencil it in for some time in 2015) I'll look into it.  It ran perfect last fall when I brought it home from plow day.  It hasn't run since.  May be an old gas thing there too.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Or, I've got a $20 bill and I can have the truck on the trailer in an hour... Just how mad are you and how badly do you want the pieces of []{}%^+* off your lawn??? LOL :rolling:

For the Speedex, the Echo, the go cart or all three?  Don't temp me bro!

• MH81 said thank you

#8 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:30 PM

What do you use for a gas tank? I mean for bringing the gas home from the station. A old metal tank could be adding rust to all your engines. A clean plastic tank would be your best bet. Even if your using a plastic tank maybe it's got some bad stuff in it?

Joe
  • David Brown said thank you

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:31 PM

My stihl leaf blower does the same thing i honesly think is this new gas it sucks it barely burns and there trying to make us all buy new vehicles and stuff!! i am fed up with the governments crap 

I say check air filter on echo and run twice the seafoam reccomended

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:38 PM

What do you use for a gas tank? I mean for bringing the gas home from the station. A old metal tank could be adding rust to all your engines. A clean plastic tank would be your best bet. Even if your using a plastic tank maybe it's got some bad stuff in it?

Joe

All of my cans are plastic.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:39 PM

My stihl leaf blower does the same thing i honesly think is this new gas it sucks it barely burns and there trying to make us all buy new vehicles and stuff!! i am fed up with the governments crap 

I say check air filter on echo and run twice the seafoam reccomended

I just had the thing serviced not long ago so the filter is new.  I have to agree with you about the gas.  Been wondering that myself and yet other engines are running fine... for now anyway.

#12 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:16 PM

yea our 2 cylinder john deeres are going through it to

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:28 AM

I had a weedeater that wouldn't run right. Removed the muffler and inside was all kinds of carbon like junk....Soaked it in gasoline and scrubbed it clean and all was good again.

Weedeaters & chainsaws need to run at full throttle all the time or they get a build-up of this crap in the exhaust/muffler.

Edited by KC9KAS, August 13, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

• Alc, Trav1s and David Brown have said thanks

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:48 AM

My son's  2 stroke Craftsman weed wacker would only run with the choke on and no throttle or it would stall , someone here mentioned the carb adjustment could be out a little , did a search and found a You-Tube on one that was acting the same as his , all it took was about 1/4- 1/2 turn on a mixture screw ( which wasn't easy to get to lol ) and it works fine now ! Hope it that easy for you

• David Brown and sodisr have said thanks

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:08 AM

We've ALL been there bro!   :wallbanging:

BEFORE messing with the carb settings-  Inspect the fuel lines!  If they are hardened or brittle there's a good possibility you have a crack somewhere which pulls in air and messes up things!!  The Ethanol in today's fuel makes things even worse!  Sometimes its a PITA to replace the lines but it can be done..  There are a bunch of replacement videos on Youtube to help you out if you get stuck or don't understand how the heck it's done..