20 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Today was the first day of my 3rd semester in College, I've got 37 credit hours in 14 months so far and I need 121 for my Bachelors of Science in Psychology, Its pretty tough being out of school since 1975, but I like it. I was wondering what others are going to school for

• hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:53 PM

I've been in the School of Hard Knocks for a number of years. Not sure when I'll gradiate from that!

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I've been in the School of Hard Knocks for a number of years. Not sure when I'll gradiate from that!

That was my thought too!

• oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:39 PM

I am out, again.  I went back to school  (university) in 2003 after leaving high school in 1982.  Ditto, in spades, on the it's hard to go back!

• oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,876 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Every day of living is school in my book---- Oh for cripes sakes, pardon the pun!!-- but you're right, book learning in a formal setting like a classroom is really hard after you've been out in the real world for a while. Congratulations on your perseverance. Now, may I question your choice of major ? lol
  • OkieGt said thank you

#6 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:04 PM

My first year of college is this year. Going for Agricultural Mechanics.

• jdslednut, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I go to work 3 or 4 days a week and EVERY DAY is definately a lesson on HOW NOT TO DO THINGS.

:wallbanging:        :smilewink:

• boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:15 PM

My mother bwent back to high school in her late 60s.....she had a couple of classes with my daughter (her grand daughter)..that was cool

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:31 PM

I headed back to school last fall, and now have 3 semesters under my belt.  I'm going for an Associates degree in Computer Networking Technology on the theory that no matter what changes come in the future, computers will still need to talk to each other.  It is a major change since previously I was doing Apartment maintenance and repair and had a contractors license for HVAC and Plumbing.  It amuses me to hear some of my younger classmates whining about the class work we have to do, both because class work is easier than what I was doing, and because I was last in school in 1986.  Then, the final was something like "Describe the major components of a computer and list 3 attributes for each part".  Now, questions are multiple choice: Which of the following is a major component of a computer: A)RAMen noodles B)CPU C)Frisbee Disk or D) Mammyboard.

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I headed back to school last fall, and now have 3 semesters under my belt.  I'm going for an Associates degree in Computer Networking Technology on the theory that no matter what changes come in the future, computers will still need to talk to each other.  It is a major change since previously I was doing Apartment maintenance and repair and had a contractors license for HVAC and Plumbing.  It amuses me to hear some of my younger classmates whining about the class work we have to do, both because class work is easier than what I was doing, and because I was last in school in 1986.  Then, the final was something like "Describe the major components of a computer and list 3 attributes for each part".  Now, questions are multiple choice: Which of the following is a major component of a computer: A)RAMen noodles B)CPU C)Frisbee Disk or D) Mammyboard.

I'm not sure what if anything this younger generation is learning in grades 1-12, because when they come to college, most still need thier mommies to keep them on track. in all fairness that was probably the case when i was a kid as well

Edited by OkieGt, August 12, 2013 - 09:52 PM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Things are ramping up for me at school again.  I get to go back every year!  Just finishing up my supply ordering and wrapping up things with the FFA kids for the summer.  I'm looking forward to having my small engines class this fall semester but not looking forward to not having it in the spring (if that makes any sense).  Time to dust off the hand tools and welders and get busy teaching these kids how to get greasy!

I also get to try my hand at teaching a Food Chemistry course this year.  With the new state requirements for science, each student must take a chemistry or physics class for their 3rd year.  This leaves my animal and plant science classes out to dry as electives and not elective requirements.  Should be interesting.  I'm ready though...pretty much.

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I want to counsel veterans that need help, We are losing more Veterans to suicide than we lose on the battlefield, that is preventable and has to stop. It will take a Army of counselors and mental health professionals to solve the issues these guys had, just because corporate America thought war would be good for our economy. This war was protested when we had a republican in office, but it has escalated with a democrat and the media says nothing, reminds me of Johnson from 1965-1968. We cant being liberty or democracy to another country, it must be earned by and with the blood of their patriots NOT ours. These wars aren't about democracy, freedom, or terrorism, there about International money funds and control over countries people and resources. Of course my opinion is mine alone and represents or means squat. I just want to get to a place where I am able to help a few guys, It wasn't easy for me, or those around me and still isn't., but through helping them I help myself as well. My best friend and the last guy I had left from my squad ate his gun three years ago, he fought it for decades and couldn't win that goes on every friggin day with thousands of men and women who have served our country. They deserve alot better than there getting, but I'm afraid that will never happen. These veterans from the mid east wars will be tenfold the problems of the Vietnam war veterans becasue of the sheer numbers that served and were saved by modern medicene and didn't die like they did in Veitnam. One close friend is 32 years old and is going back for his 5 tour of duty right when th emedia is telling us were pulling out, yeah right, what country are we going to send the next batch of our brave young men and women to die for nothing. The problem is that us little people can only see and know the short game, the big wigs are playing the long ball.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Things are ramping up for me at school again.  I get to go back every year!  Just finishing up my supply ordering and wrapping up things with the FFA kids for the summer.  I'm looking forward to having my small engines class this fall semester but not looking forward to not having it in the spring (if that makes any sense).  Time to dust off the hand tools and welders and get busy teaching these kids how to get greasy!

I also get to try my hand at teaching a Food Chemistry course this year.  With the new state requirements for science, each student must take a chemistry or physics class for their 3rd year.  This leaves my animal and plant science classes out to dry as electives and not elective requirements.  Should be interesting.  I'm ready though...pretty much.

hmmm I just bought a blue one, lol

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:50 PM

My first year of college is this year. Going for Agricultural Mechanics.

Remember there will be a lot more than mechanics you will have to learn, you may not understand why now, but rest assured when you have that degree in hand you will know what the value and meaning of a college education is and what it's worth.

Edited by OkieGt, August 12, 2013 - 09:51 PM.

• LTD, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:06 PM

hmmm I just bought a blue one, lol

Grrrrrrrrr