• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 12:58 PM

A few days ago, my brother told me that somebody he knew had a wood splitter that he was selling for $150, and that he might buy it so we don't have to borrow Neighbor Dave's splitter all the time. My brother, had a bike that he was selling for $250, and the guy wanted it. So, my brother traded the bike, for the splitter and $100! The splitter was dropped off yesterday, here it is.

9D7AD8FC-33AC-442E-8AE6-EB220973C2C0-492

DF09B7D0-CE8F-40E2-AEEC-EBAB46983E70-492

As you can probably tell, it was completely homemade. Right now, it has a Wisconsin engine on it, but I do not remember the model. The engine was taken apart for some reason or another, cleaned, painted, and then never put completely back together. As far as I know, I have all of the engine parts; however, I am missing the alternator, and a bunch of other electrical stuff. The guy that built it is the one who took it all apart, then gave it to the guy my brother bought it from. I was told that the builder of it still has any missing parts... but does not know where they are.

My plan for this, is to take the engine off, and get rid of everything except the frame and hydraulic system. To power the unit, I will make a bracket that can mount to any PK with the hydraulic pump on it and drive off of that engine instead. Opinions on that? I think it will be much easier to do it that way, although I know that some of you Wisconsin guys will tell me to try to get that going instead.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,937 Thanks
  • 2,515 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Does it have a two stage pump on it? Does the PK's pump make enough pressure to operate the splitter?

• Ryan313 said thank you

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,069 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:02 PM

You are planning on running the pump on the splitter off the PK engine or are you planning on running the hydraulics off the PK pump?

The standard PK pump is only 1.7-8 @1000 psi so you will not be happy if that are your plans.

The later model loader pump is 6.1 @1250.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:23 PM

If you are planning to run the splitter down in the timber, I would think you would be happier with it self powered.

Then you could set it up split the timber and load it on your trailer.  Thus handling the wood once from splitter to loaded.

Otherwise you would have to split the wood throw it in a pile then pull the splitter back to the house. hitch the trailer and go back and load it. Haul it unload it .

• Ryan313 said thank you

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Username, I plan on running it from the pump that it is on the splitter now. I am just going to move the pump to a bracket that can be mounted, and dismounted to the tractor easily.

JD, I have never had need or want to use the splitter where the wood is. Not that I don't think it wouldn't work, it is just that most of the wood I get is the woods where it is very muddy, and would be very difficult to split wood down there. Not that I do not think it would work, but I just don't have a need for it. And if I did need to, I would likely get a trailer with another tractor anyway.
  • twostep said thank you

#6 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 2,671 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:52 PM

I like the idea of keeping it self powered. You can tow it around without having to disconnect anything.I know the PK can handle it power wise , but it seems like a lot of work connecting and unconnecting every time you want to use it, although that is how all the older tractors did it when they had the pulley and strap setup. IMO

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Username, I plan on running it from the pump that it is on the splitter now. I am just going to move the pump to a bracket that can be mounted, and dismounted to the tractor easily.

JD, I have never had need or want to use the splitter where the wood is. Not that I don't think it wouldn't work, it is just that most of the wood I get is the woods where it is very muddy, and would be very difficult to split wood down there. Not that I do not think it would work, but I just don't have a need for it. And if I did need to, I would likely get a trailer with another tractor anyway.

I keep forgetting your young. I personally would not want to lift 50 lb chunks twice(on to the trailer, on to the splitter) when it could be split and loaded on the trailer in lighter splits.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 12, 2013 - 03:56 PM.

• Ryan313 and marlboro180 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:13 PM

That should work fine. Have you checked the direction of rotation on the pump to see if you can drive it off the front pulleys? 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Having it self powered is less of a hassel than powered by the tractor. If you use the tractors' hydraulics there is a chance of contamination. Put a spare engine on it and get it running. Good Luck, Rick
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I like the idea of keeping it self powered. You can tow it around without having to disconnect anything.I know the PK can handle it power wise , but it seems like a lot of work connecting and unconnecting every time you want to use it, although that is how all the older tractors did it when they had the pulley and strap setup. IMO

I wonder if I put quick connect couplers on it, it would make it easier? Then I only have to take the pump off when I want to use a different attachment, or use it on a different tractor. Besides, normally I get most of the firewood I need, then I split it all over the course of a week or so.

That should work fine. Have you checked the direction of rotation on the pump to see if you can drive it off the front pulleys? 

I am not sure on the rotation. I plan to drive it off of the flywheel on the crank side of the engine anyway.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Here is a picture of the pump and cylinder. I am thinking that the pump is too small as it is to run this big cylinder; what do you guys think?

0274C3BD-B37E-4271-ACF6-B83C243523CF-118

#12 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 2,671 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Based on all splitters I've seen , I don't see a hydraulic reservoir on yours . Pump size can look deceiving but it's GPM's that count.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#13 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Man, you find all the good toys! I've been looking for one of these for a year. Like Tom said, I don't see the hydro tank either. I'm not sure how you are going to power that pump from the PK. Doesn't it have to be belt driven like the ones we have lifting our attachments?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:18 PM

It has a hydro tank. When it was built, the guy boxed off one section of the I beam to make a tank.

Steve, it will be belt driven. I can take that coupler off and put a pulley on it.

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 13, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Actually, Ryan running it off of your PK is a good idea. That way you will have one less engine sitting around for months at a time.

Here's how I did mine. Quick disconnects.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000439.JPG

• Alc and Ryan313 have said thanks