16 replies to this topic

#1 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • Member No: 42212
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

I am making my new tractor pretty again.  I bought Ford Tractor Blue paint.  All surfaces are cleaned, sanded, primered and ready to go.  When we paint with the blue paint, it looks beautiful.  It's nice and smooth with a good shiney reflection. 

When we paint over it with clear coat, the color fades and you can see wierd swirl marks in the blue.

Can we just leave it at the blue?

Will it be rust resistant?

Advice is appreciated.

I'll upload pictures, as soon as I can.

TC

Edited by Tractor Chance, August 12, 2013 - 12:55 PM.

• hamman, sacsr, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 12:58 PM

Here is a picture

photo(2).JPG

• hamman, A.C.T. and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 01:04 PM

It's nice and smooth with a good shiney reflection. 

Yours is a good question for me. My Ford blue paint has faded and turned dull within a year and I would like to spray a clear coat over it. The answers here should be interesting. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:08 PM

There is a lot of questions to be answered here. 

What type of paint is it? enamel, lacquer,base coat/ clear coat, rattle can?

What type of clear are you using? same applies here :enamel, lacquer, etc..

what type of primer? 

The point here is are they compatible with each other?

usually when clear blushes its not compatible with what's under it. or too humid. or improper dry / flash time between coats and products. that goes for paint and primer too.

swirl marks can be from your sanding , paint will bring that out if it wasn't done right / fine enough grit wise. 320 grit or higher usually before paint.

when paint starts drying it will shrink into scratch marks pronouncing them

I hope that helps some or gets you started in the right direction.

My cousin is a professional body man ( automotive 30 + years) and this is where my knowledge comes from. I too have painted cars just personal not professional.

• sacsr, Cvans, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Tractor Chance OFFLINE  

Tractor Chance
  • 24 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have to get home and look at the cans.  I'll respond as soon as I can.

• boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:58 PM

as I was driving to appt I realized you are in California , they are cracking down on voc's making you use waterbourne paint . the blushing is much more prevalent with this type . lighter coats ( thinner) allowing and more time to dry / flash btw coats.
  • sacsr, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Tom, what paint do you use for your Fords? I have 3 Fords(LGT145, LGT125, and LGT120) that I would like to paint this fall. I also have a bunch of attachments to paint too. I've looked at Rustoleum and Tractor Supply but just don't know. Forty years ago, I can remember some of the old guys brush painting cars. They looked good for years. Good Luck, Rick

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:07 PM

For a quick job I use rustoleum .SAIL BLUE
Problem with rattle cans is they don't have a hardener so they wear out quickly. Look good short term though
When I do a repaint that I want to last I use PPG automotive system with epoxy primer and a single stage urethane topcoat ( solid color). I don't usually clear coat with urethanes. I bring a part to the store for a perfect color match. The entire system is compatible from start to finish. And has great durability. I don't skip steps, I treat it like I was painting a car.
Tractor supply also carries a heavy duty farm grade paint that is very durable, just follow all proper steps they recommend, only catch they may not have good color match unless you want JD green. I would check for colors they might have a ford blue.

Edited by TomLGT195, August 12, 2013 - 06:12 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#9 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have painted 1 of my fords with dupont base coat clear coat system that worked well the other is dupont Imron which is a polyurethane single stage paint that I also have on a 4610 ford tractor it has been painted 8 years and still has a gloss very tough paint only trouble is having to use a spray gun rattle can paint and clears can be harder to make look good without blushing or holding up for long periods of time

• JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Speaking of Dupont Imron I got a gallon of gloss black from someone that used it on trailers. That has been at least twenty years ago. I opened this same can last year & it was just like the first time I opened the new can inside. This paint goes on well & gives a rock hard finish. I have only used it on a few small outdoor projects for my wife. I never thought of using it on a GT.

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Rick, here is the latest rattle can on the lighter hood you can see how close the sail blue is to the original, not perfect but it will fade.

IMG_0414.JPG

the dark colored one is the replacement

IMG_0419.jpg

the final product , nothing spectacular , not even proper body work , just a good sanding. the 195 is under going a FEL addition so fresh paint complete when all done.

• icecream4070 said thank you

#12 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • Member No: 59190
  • 35 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 03:43 PM

When I do a repaint that I want to last I use PPG automotive system with epoxy primer and a single stage urethane topcoat ( solid color). I don't usually clear coat with urethanes. I bring a part to the store for a perfect color match. The entire system is compatible from start to finish. And has great durability. I don't skip steps, I treat it like I was painting a car.

What store(s) can you get these coatings at? I was just looking at Porter Paints and they don't seem to carry any automotive paint.

Edited by Joe Knife, June 28, 2014 - 03:45 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 04:57 PM

I bring a part to the store for a perfect color match. 

Your results have been much better than mine. Most of mine have not been a good match. Wish your supplier was near here.

Edited by Cvans, June 28, 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#14 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Tom, what paint do you use for your Fords? I have 3 Fords(LGT145, LGT125, and LGT120) that I would like to paint this fall. I also have a bunch of attachments to paint too. I've looked at Rustoleum and Tractor Supply but just don't know. Forty years ago, I can remember some of the old guys brush painting cars. They looked good for years. Good Luck, Rick

That would sure be nice to just brush paint a GT!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:32 AM

joe stop at you local body shop and explain that your doing a tractor,  if they think its for a car, ( stealing their work) they may not be as helpful. but they should point you to the local automotive paint supplier. back in the day NAPA used to carry Martin Senior brand paints , I don't know if they still do.

• icecream4070, Joe Knife and Coventry Plumber have said thanks