15 replies to this topic

#1 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:52 PM

hi my pap has a 10 hp kohler thats bored .020 over second rebuild and it keeps going through rings measured the frount half of ring and back half and theres a .040 differents the rings are wearing on the govener side more than other does anybody know whats causing this its on a older cub and this it the second rebuild.  So does anybody know good spot s to get parts and how do i fix this problem?? also what kinda performance parts there is out there for these i aint big into kohlers so tell me what i need to know

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:19 PM

When it was bored .020 over was a .020 over size piston installed?? It sounds like the piston may be to loose in the bore?

Kohlers are one of the best engines (IMO) out there. And are easy to get parts for.

As far as performance goes, you would want to check a site that is dedicated to that sort of thing like Brian millers pulling tractors. He is a member on here but I don't think he has been on in awhile. Just google/Bing his name and his site will come up.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:35 PM

yes its a .020 piston in to its casted in the piston the piston fits real nice in the bore but the ring it self when put in theres  probaly 3\8 inch gap in the where there should be less than .125 or 1\8

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:01 PM

yes its a .020 piston in to its casted in the piston the piston fits real nice in the bore but the ring it self when put in theres  probaly 3\8 inch gap in the where there should be less than .125 or 1\8

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you have the right size rings??? And when it was bored .020 over, did the machinist measure the new piston and bore to the right tolerance?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:09 PM

well ya there one of the best shops around and the piston is a nice fit its  the rings that are bad i am going to go over one of these days soon and mic up the bore and see if its not wore but this is the same thing that happened for original and when brode  ten over

#6 mean and green OFFLINE  

mean and green
  • Member No: 40980
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi I agree with Chris! I just had a Kholer 321 bored .010 over. I had to take the piston along so the machinist could match the bore to the new piston just incase there was any variations. Engine is running smooth with normal ware.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:20 AM

measured the frount half of ring and back half and theres a .040 differents the rings are wearing on the govener side more than other

Did I read one time that rings rotate in their grooves? That would mean that they should wear evenly.

Just a thought; what happens on the governor side? The valves are on the governor side.

#8 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:27 AM

If you have a 3/8 gap you have the wrong rings. Rings do not wear that much, at least not in my 60 plus years of playing with Kohlers.

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:09 AM

If you have a 3/8 gap you have the wrong rings. Rings do not wear that much, at least not in my 60 plus years of playing with Kohlers.

Well yea but thats whats wrong correct rings where put in but from where the gap part of the ring versus the opposite side they have a .040 thousandth difference from wear

Edited by superspeedex, August 12, 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#10 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well yea but thats whats wrong correct rings where put in but from where the gap part of the ring versus the opposite side they have a .040 thousandth difference from wear

.040 wear will not give you a 3/8 gap.

#11 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:26 AM

well i just have to get you some pictures then

#12 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Sounds like the bore was not centered properly , this is a critical step and very good machine shops take this seriously . It helps the engine to rev very freely with out un needed hot spots.

What is the end gap of the rings when installed in the bore ?? This dimension is critical for proper wear and sealing too.Was the con rod and piston installed correctly ?

#13 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:20 AM

I will clarify one point. If the bore is not oval/egg shaped, the rings will not wear more on one side or the other +/- a couple of thousandth's.

#14 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Sounds like the bore was not centered properly , this is a critical step and very good machine shops take this seriously . It helps the engine to rev very freely with out un needed hot spots.

What is the end gap of the rings when installed in the bore ?? This dimension is critical for proper wear and sealing too.Was the con rod and piston installed correctly ?

If it wasn't bored straight you would see piston scuffing.

#15 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I am going to go over one of these day and measure the bore up and take some pics so you know it locked up cause it ran low on oil thats when he gave it to my pap