Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#17 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:39 PM

I usually remove the deck, stand it on end and use a high pressure sprayer on the underneath side. I try to stay away from the spindles. When I'm done I soak the bottom of the deck down with WD-40, re-install the deck and then engage the blades at high rpm for a few minutes. I think this helps keep the grass from sticking to the deck, until the WD-40 wears off anyway. Especially in the spring of the year I usually clean the bottom of the deck at least every other time I mow, if not every time. I think a clean deck and sharp blades really make a big difference on the cut. 

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#18 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Have used a mower with the adapter already factory applied.  Found if you put the deck all the way down, and then ran the deck with the lawn tractor at nearly full throttle, it would work for the most part.  Then again, as mentioned before, it may all be about placement, maybe rpm's, and it does work better if what you mowed was a little wet to begin with and not bone dry.  Personally, wouldn't waste my money or time on one though.  Just old fashioned and scrape my deck by laying on the ground and reaching in (for now...not thinking I will do that when I put on a few more years)

#19 fmdualexhaust OFFLINE  

fmdualexhaust
  • Member No: 61905
  • 14 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 04:52 AM

Have to agree with the majority here. I added one to mine and it was a waste of $7. I blow mine off after using, and every second or third mowing, put it on the lift and scrape.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 06:32 AM

I have been hosing out under decks with the spray nozzle for as long as I can remember. I have NEVER had an issue with deck bearing on any of the newer stuff and am still using these mowers. The only one with serious rust issues is the one I bought that hadn't been cleaned out after it was run last... 3 years previous.

The wash adapters aren't worth the 10 seconds it takes to hook them up, you'd be better to go find a puddle and drop the deck in it.
  • Cvans and twostep have said thanks

#21 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I have a wash attachment on my cub cadet LT 1042 but never have used it. thought it was junk, but now I really know.

#22 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:17 PM

In order for garden hose water to clean anything worthwhile out of a mower deck, it has to be applied to the right places under there. One wash port won't clean anything out of there but dust. IF you have the proper conditions (grass type, moisture at cut time, etc.) you might get a very decent result from my favorite water method:

Hose nozzle that gives a "fire hose stream", tight single stream and a "watering wand" from the garden center. Wind 'er up to 3/4 throttle, keep the deck up high enough to reach just under the edge of the deck and shoot water right around the cutting edge area on the blades. As you move along the deck edge (KEEP THE NOZZLE OUT OF THE BLADES!!!) reach as much as you can from both sides. Dry as usual.

(C'mon admit it.... some of you water haters have had to mow right after a rain... right? Same kind of water action under there.:D)

Sounds like a scarey proposition.
I'm having clogging build up problems now too. The grass is growing soo fast and very juicy. The best I've found is the old fashioned scraping & gouging. Even better is take off clean Good. Even pressure wash. Then paint on liquid graphite. Called slip plate from TSC in a green can. The brush on is much better than the spray. It does help prevent sticking and helps removal if it does.

#23 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 06:04 AM

If you wouldn't mow wet grass, why would you wash your deck out with water?
I don't bother using them. It's a waste of time and usually makes a huge mess for the little cleaning it accomplishes.

#24 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:14 AM

It's a huge mess no matter how you do it. I've tried to use one spot with a large dip. I set up 10x10 blocks w/ 2x10's as ramps to pull up on. " carefully".
Gives lots of clearance. It's a nasty juicy ammonia smelling gunk. After a cpl weeks of drying I try to pick up, but it's still a mess. The grass has grown soo fast this year and very juicy even when there's no dew on it. It's been a challenge to keep deck clean.

Edited by cumberland, September 10, 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#25 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • Member No: 62341
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:15 AM

I cut grass for a living and I cut wet grass and even cut in the rain at times I have the attachment on all my mowers and I like it but my decks never get fully clean being I am using them almost every day but I only use the attachment after cutting really wet grass it helps bring them back to a use able state
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#26 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I have built several of these under deck washers over the years while working on golf courses.  Worked great for cleaning the trash out from under the 5 to 7  26" decks per machine.  Operators only used it on the two days a week the mowers were to come into the shop to be lubed and have their blades sharpened or replaced.

All 1/2" or 3/4" black iron pipe: 8'  bent about as shown; tee on one end with two six" capped nipples drill 5 or 6 1/16" to 1/8" holes depending on water pressure; ball shutoff valve; another 6" nipple and a pipe to hose connector.

Crank up the mower, turn on the decks, carefully slide this under each of the decks and turn on the water while moving the washer around under the decks.  Park the mower to let it dry and later in the day put it on the lift to service the decks and mower.

$40,000 to $60,000 lawn mowers required a little extra maintenance.

Attached Thumbnails

• Deck washer one.jpg
  • Deck washer two.jpg
  • Deck washer three.jpg

• MH81 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#27 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I was not aware of these deck washers until last week my neighbour told me how he had used his at end of season last year and did not realize he was supposed to keep mower running for a while after washing. The moisture left behind pooched the bearings. A $380  lesson. 

Edited by Jazz, October 10, 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#28 KBear ONLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 11:10 PM

I have a couple mower decks with those washer ports. I never thought they would do any good and I've not and most likely will not use 'em.

Has anyone ever used this product on a deck before? Does it work?

clean-machine-retailbox1.jpg

Kenneth

#29 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 12:28 AM

I have a couple mower decks with those washer ports. I never thought they would do any good and I've not and most likely will not use 'em.

Has anyone ever used this product on a deck before? Does it work?

attachicon.gifclean-machine-retailbox1.jpg

Kenneth
TSC sells a version of it. Works for a mowing or two, then back to washing out.