28 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:03 PM

The Yardman ET1238 that I bought last year came with a deck washing adapter on it.  I finally found a hose that will connect the adapter to a garden hose and gave it a try tonight.  Ran the deck with the water running for about 15 minutes and then another 10 minutes with the water off.  I gotta say, I'm not that impressed.  Actually, I'm quite disappointed.  I had such high hopes for it.  Anyone out there have a deck washing adapter, and if so, do you like it?  If so, what am I doing wrong?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,567 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have one on my cub ztr and am not impressed with it. Don't use it anymore.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Had a mower with one once....waste of time.

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have read a lot of stories of how the wash out is not what it was advertised out to be. None of my tractors have it on the decks.

One of those things they want you to think you  have something really great. Sorry you had to add to the negatives.

Dick 

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,619 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM

they are a very good way to water a small section of your yard. 

I don't like that much moisture around my bearings.    :(

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have one on my Toro push mower.  It gets some grass off.  I don't like it as much as blowing the bottom out with air.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:52 AM

My son has one on his mower but wasn't every used , I would be worried that if you didn't get all the grass out it you left all that wet grass in there it would rust out faster then if you just left it there

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:29 AM

I used mine only 1 time as I couldn't see any benefit.

• JRJ said thank you

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:57 PM

In order for garden hose water to clean anything worthwhile out of a mower deck, it has to be applied to the right places under there.  One wash port won't clean anything out of there but dust.  IF you have the proper conditions (grass type, moisture at cut time, etc.) you might get a very decent result from my favorite water method:

Hose nozzle that gives a "fire hose stream", tight single stream and a "watering wand" from the garden center.  Wind 'er up to 3/4 throttle, keep the deck up high enough to reach just under the edge of the deck and shoot water right around the cutting edge area on the blades.  As you move along the deck edge (KEEP THE NOZZLE OUT OF THE BLADES!!!) reach as much as you can from both sides.  Dry as usual.

Re "Spindle Bearings":  Spindle bearings see plenty of moisture when they are cutting grass, especially when grass is damp or it's rained 10 minutes ago.  IF you keep the stream away from the spindles (water just the blade ends) centrifugal force will keep water from entering the bearings.  The most danger is when the deck is shut down and is cooling and everything is contracting... but there is still very little chance water will be "drawn" into the bearing. 

Some JD decks (my 48C) have a "slinger cup" which prevents most stuff from coming in contact with the "danger zone" of seal and spindle shaft.  Taking one of those off I find the cleanest place under the deck, nothing can get into there when the deck is WOT.  If water works for your conditions, I say try it.  You can deal with the nice green water, have time for proper drying and check your spindle grease schedual regularly AND keep water away from the hot belts and top drive pullies/idlers...

I have never ever lost a deck or spindle due to "wash out failure" and I've "rescued" some pretty junky stuff from curbside for home use.  Sitting in the rain or a damp shed will do more damage to a deck than squirting water under it right after mowing.  HOWEVER, deck washing will NOT clean out much if the deck is allowed to build up that hard dried grass sap and clipping buildup.  My deck has a couple spots that are impervious to water even on the first washout on a scraped down surface...  It's all depending on the deck and all of the conditions mowing brings.

(C'mon admit it.... some of you water haters have had to mow right after a rain... right?  Same kind of water action under there.:D)

• Cvans said thank you

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Gimmick to sell mowers. Not worth a nickel from my experience.

#11 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 09:33 PM

After any kind of washing of your tractor and/or mower, I'd recommend running the tractor and engaging the mower.  Any belt idlers that are mounted horizontally, the water will be thrown out of the bearing area of the idler, saving the bearing.  The idler bearings don't typically have as good of seals as the spindle bearings, in addition to more slop in the bearings that invite water in.

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 02:05 PM

They don't work like advertised and on these consumer grade decks, it will probably lead to rusting out quicker. Keeping the underside of the deck scraped after each mowing(if possible) and applying some oil (this seems somewhat to help prevent grass sticking), should help maintain peek mower performance.

#13 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Just a cheap way to add a little more to price tag . Mine is worthless the blades throws the water same as grass takes some loose off and packs the rest even harder. 

• Gabriel said thank you

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Angular_Contact-cat-1016-cat.jpg + water_drop.JPG = :wtf: 

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 25, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I clean 140's deck exactly as hydroharld does. Really it is the best that can be done. On my finish mower I just lift the up in the air and hose out from under it. I do always run them for a while to "dry" the deck off afterward though.

My dad does it right though, he has a nice bank that runs off the back side of his yard, built what looks like a boat dock that he pulls out on after mowing, walks down underneith and fires up the pressure washer.

Regarding the water + bearings... I would rather replace bearings once ever 8-10 years than a whole rusted through deck every 8-10 years.

• Cvans said thank you