• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,215 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Man, has this year been different!  With the wet summer, opposite of hot & dry, which has become the usual the last few years, mowing is almost non-stop for me now.   I have to mow about every 3rd to 4th day.  Being I have a lot to mow, by the time I get all areas finished, it's time to start all over again.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, as we're looking at the best corn crop in years, but it's just such a change from what I am used to doing this time of year, which would be mowing once every week, or maybe 2 weeks.  Glad I have diesel to do all my mowing or my fuel costs would be huge just cutting grass.

• hamman, KennyP, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I hear you. As soon as I'm done and put the mowers away I turn around and see it growing more. My gas cans have never been refilled so much.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,268 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Same here, lawns didn't burn up at all this yr, usually this time of yr I cut once ever 2 weeks, not this yr, green grass everywhere.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Same in CT. I hope that everyone has a great growing year. The big areas to mow justify a bigger mower. Good Luck, Rick

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 01:02 PM

That seems to be the norm on my place. We have had the extremes, this spring it was raining almost every day.
Then it has stopped and we have not had a significant rain in almost two months.
We have had drought, but the weeds still grow. I am only mowing to top off the weeds.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,603 Thanks
  • 38,986 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 02:10 PM

I know what you're saying, Daniel! We have mowed a bunch more than normal around here!

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,450 Thanks
  • 7,615 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 02:16 PM

We have had so much rain here that the corn is starting to rot on the stalk. I do need to mow again though.

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 03:22 PM

We have only mowed 4 times this year. Usually it is 4 total. Will need to be mowed at least twice more.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was talking to a zero turn salesman who told me that he has sold the most mowers this year of any year he can remember.

Ben W.

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I noticed that I should have mowed today after 5 days.  I better get on that fertilizer again, I can't have mowing spaced that far apart!:D

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,227 Thanks
  • 7,458 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Daniel, why don't you hold back a couple of your culls and use them for mower duty? Just put a cow on a leash and stake them out.

• twostep said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Yep, sure is a different summer. Usually by beginning of July, grass starts getting less green and mowing goes down to every few weeks. This year is killing me as I usually only have my 1/2 acre and mom's 3 acres to take care of. This year, mine, moms' her widow neighbor's 2 acres, and my neighbors' on both side plus I help cut the Church's 4 acres. I haven't done a lot of projects due to just keeping up with the grass, thankfully I have a 16 yr old that likes to do it, got to take advantage of that while I can :D

• HDWildBill and twostep have said thanks

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Same here, I was just saying saturday that this time of year we should be a month into a drought and 100 degrees. We were sitting under the canopy while it drizzled rain and was about 80 degrees.

I mowed the main yards yesterday and noticed that the trimming edges had gotten over a foot tall!!! I normally only weedeat every other mow... well in the last two weeks we've probably gotten 6 inches of rain and the yard is LOVING it. I had to run the yard sweeper to pick up the weedeater "hay".