7 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 06:34 AM

Let me start by saying I am mostly into garden tractors but I do have a BN that i have been restoring and use for tractor shows and tractor cruises. And yes it has a seat on the left side that matches the right for my wife to ride on.

So to yesterdays story:

The wife and I drove 110 miles with the tactor on a trailer for a benefit 50 mile tractor cruise. After the tractor was unlaoded and in line we were ready to head out. we were tractor # 20 in a line of 33 and I rode the clutch as we inched our way to the county road and came to a stop as we bunched up. As I left the clutch out the tractor would not move.

And when I say it wouldnt move  I mean the engine was under a load and close to quitting. I quickly looked down on the floor board to see if the parking brake pawl had become set. Nope not that. Slipped it in reverse and nope it isnt moving. So all the others in the line passed us. Eventually by pressing and releasing the clutch the tractor was able to move. (deep in the back of my mind was, " How am I going to load this beast if it wont move and I dont have a winch or come a long"?)

I had the wife off the tractor, and i drove in a circle 50 ft in diameter and all seemed normal. Decision made to try to make time catch up with the group. The highay patrol was patient and they waited for me. We started out on the road in 4th and wide open. No more than 300 yds down the road the god awfulest racket started coming out of the internal guts of the tractor. Sounded like a  but not quite the same as a fan blade into a shroud but it wasnt coming from the front of the tractor.  It lasted 10 seconds. I looked at the wife and said our day is over.

2 strikes against us in less than a 1/4 mile. I didnt want to be some where where I had to be towed. So wife and I turn around and drive back to the trailer and I load it up. Oddly enough no strange sounds just the smell of something hot like a brake band.

So I bring the wife home, and I head  east of KC Mo another 110 miles to my dad's place where I store old red. Dad is 78 and has been active all his life and the Farmall was to be a joint project but as the years have rolled on he hasnt had much interest.

When I get to his place he drives it, not a sound. I drive it on the county road in front of his place not a sound.

We scratch our heads and finally decide to do what all mechanics do ( check the transmission oil. HA!~ Why ? Who knows.

But when I pulled the plug on top of the transmission it was milky white. Yep Water in the oil.

I did drain approx 2.5 gallons of water oil mix out of the transmission /differential. When it all had run out I slid a finger in the drain hole. Again why did I do that I have no idea. But to my surprise I pulled out
3 small pieces of gravel
1 bolt with lock washer
1 piece of of a bevel gear tooth
and a butt load of metal filings.

Needless to say it wasnt turning out to be the great day.  And i am resigned to whats ahead. Either a total tranny rebuild or replacing it with another used tranny.

While I was very angry over the tractor laying down on me, and the prospect of 2 days worth of work to tear it down  to get the trans off and replaced and another couple days to put it back together. There is some consulation in knowing that a little voice in my head told me to stop while I could.

On the way back home last night without the tractor I realized that had we continued on and been running say 10-12 mph  on the county road in a line and the transmission/differential had picked up that bolt, gear tooth. it is possible the unit would have locked up. Had it locked up one or both of us would have abruptly departed the tractor, the guy behind may have run over the tractor or us, and quite possibly the transmission case may have disintegrated allowing the tractor to collapse in the road splayed open like a slaughtered hog.

Many years ago I flew for a living and before that in flight school the instructors said " If it doesnt feel right or a voice in your head says NO to flying stay on the ground".  Yesterday that voice was screaming at me and I listened and I am glad I did.

Now time to find me a great transmission differential for my BN.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:52 AM

bummer!

At least you weren't hurt and didn't have to hire a tow truck to put it on the trailer.  The BN will live again!

I'm glad to see a lot of tractor cruises have scaled down their runs to 35-50 miles.  Several years ago the runs were 75+ miles and my opinion is that would take the fun right out of a cruise.

• Petenpole said thank you

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:21 AM

All things considered, you were able to get er back on the trailer and in for repair without it becoming a total circus wreck. When things can go wrong they often will. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the fixin ! :thumbs:

• Petenpole and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:36 AM

Wow, that is the definition of bummer. Glad the tractor is not disabled and no collateral damage with you or spouse.
I also drive annually in a cruise /tour. We keep ours to 25 ish miles.

Sorry to hear the BN let you down, but look at it this way... The tractor has been "on call" for 50 years and its only called in sick once...
Not bad, not bad at all.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yep, could have been MUCH worse, but still, I'm sorry you had such a crappy day.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sorry to hear about the Farmall.  Those transmissions aren't too hard to work on, and are very common to find used if you need it.

Ben W.

#7 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:16 PM

That could have gotten bad in a hurry. Glad it let you down easy. Now get her fixed and post some pics.

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:27 AM

As my dad has always told me "if it's got wheels or t__s, it's going to give you trouble". Really the only time I get flustered about something breaking down is when I relay on it to get a job done.

If the toys break then it's just part of the fun! Any time a newbie is out 4wheeling with us and they break and get all upset and complain about having to fix their rig, I tell them that if you don't LIKE wrenching then wheeling is not the sport for you... I guess the same can be said about tractors!

Good luck on the repair.