wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Ok, I bought a pair of tubes for a GT that have threaded metal valve stems (TR-4 or TR-6). They have a convex washer and two nuts on each valve stem. The question is where does the second nut belong, inside or outside of the rim??

I do plan to load these tubes with windshield washer fluid so I do need to get this correct. Thanks guys.

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 12:55 AM

It goes on out side for lock nut  to keep from working loose.

• MH81 said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 03:08 AM

Since you are wanting to 'load' the tires, and since you already have the metal valve stems, you really should look into having them filled with Rim Guard.

Rim Guard isn't really all that much more expensive than WW fluid, and at 11lbs./gal vs. 8lbs./gal for WW fluid, it adds a lot more weight per tire.

This spring, I had some tires filled and it only cost me 3.20/gal. installed. 

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 01:55 PM

I would love RimGuard but have about a dozen reasons to use WW fluid, seeing as that's how many bottles of it I bought for this project three years ago lol. I couldn't decide back then and TSC had WW fluid for about $2.5 a gallon, so I went back and grabbed a cart at the door and loaded it up lol.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Oh, I did get the one tube switched out and planning to wait until after Daniel's plow day to switch the other so that if in a week I find a defect in the first tube before loading it I can have a spare.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Not that we really need it down here but I WISH that I could get RIMGUARD..............Closest dealer that they could recommend was in WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA!  I told the woman on the phone that I was going to just go up there and fill a 55 gallon drum and bring it back home........lol   She that it was a funny idea.

• OldBuzzard and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Not that we really need it down here but I WISH that I could get RIMGUARD..............Closest dealer that they could recommend was in WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA! I told the woman on the phone that I was going to just go up there and fill a 55 gallon drum and bring it back home........lol She that it was a funny idea.

Fill me in, where was this place?

I should call and see because I have a JD dealership near me, and other stuff around, but I still gotta use the WW fluid up.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, August 12, 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#8 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 07:19 AM

but I still gotta use the WW fluid up.

It will still work for its intended purpose, cleaning the windshield.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Not that we really need it down here but I WISH that I could get RIMGUARD..............Closest dealer that they could recommend was in WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA!  I told the woman on the phone that I was going to just go up there and fill a 55 gallon drum and bring it back home........lol   She that it was a funny idea.

You know, that's something that I just don't understand about Rim Guard's marketing. They only sell it in the Northern parts of the country.

Rim Guard is great for folks in the North as it has such a low freezing temperature, but folks in the Southern part of the country where it's warm all the time need/want filled tires too.

They have to be missing out on a lot of sales by not making it available in the warmer areas of the country.

#10 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Most people are not willing to pay for the RimGuard in the South because they can fill them with water and a little bit of antifreeze and dont have to worry about them freezing.  People up north are more prone to freezing temps.      At least that is my take on it.  Both of my Plow machines are running straight water with just enough antifreeze in them to keep them from rusting my wheels.  I am not really worried about the freezing factor as it doesnt drop below freezing around here long enough to worry about it and my tractors dont usually move when the temps drop below about 50 unless they are turning dirt!

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 01:30 PM

BuzzMaster, If you call RimGuard, they are more than willing to give you the location and name of the dealer closest to you.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Most people are not willing to pay for the RimGuard in the South because they can fill them with water and a little bit of antifreeze and dont have to worry about them freezing.  People up north are more prone to freezing temps.      At least that is my take on it.  Both of my Plow machines are running straight water with just enough antifreeze in them to keep them from rusting my wheels.  I am not really worried about the freezing factor as it doesnt drop below freezing around here long enough to worry about it and my tractors dont usually move when the temps drop below about 50 unless they are turning dirt!

Even if I was in your neck of the woods, I'd STILL want Rim Guard.

The extra 3Lbs./Gal. you get with Rim Guard makes a huge difference. My 26x12-12 tires took 10 Gal. With water that would have been 80 Lbs./tire.  With Rim Guard I got 110 Lbs./tire

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Guess I might give them a ring tomorrow and see if there is anything close to me. My 26x10.5-12 tires should hold about 7.5 gallons each no problem and be about 75 percent full or so. However I rather be around half full so will only put about 6 gallons in them. In WW fluid I will get 48 pounds but if you calculate with the RimGuard that is 66 pounds. So who knows. I guess it will depend on two things, location and cost. Of course you do know that I would have to put my other tube in sooner than I anticipated if getting RimGuard lol.

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:25 AM

Rim Guard works perfectly fine in tubeless tires.  All that you really need to do 'extra' to use it is to make sure that you have metal valve stems.  Rim Guard will dissolve the adhesive that they use to assemble the rubber ones,

• Alc said thank you

#15 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:10 PM

IF I had it readily available, I would be using RimGuard but since I can afford to buy 1000 gallons to have it shipped, I will have to suffer through.......lol