17 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 10:21 PM

My son in law's mower stopped and wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago.  It would start for a few seconds with carb cleaner spray so I gave him a new gas filter.  The next day, their landlord stopped to mow their lawn saying to keep it short because the next door neighbor had seen a rattler on their lawn this week.

Friday, this week, I picked up my daughter and grandaughter to take them to pay a bill.  We drove about a quarter mile up the road and what's that in the road?

She got this with her i-phone but it's the best she could get because we were not getting out of the Cherokee to play with that little beast.

snake03.JPG

Yeah, they (we) need to keep the lawns mowed around here.  This one was as thick as my wrist and about 3 feet long with  1 to 1 1/2 inch of rattles.

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:19 PM

I would mow with my 410 mounted to the GT

• robert_p43 said thank you

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 12:19 AM

We have lots of blacksnakes here. Did have one copperhead that committed suicide with a 12 gauge last year though.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:01 AM

attachicon.gifsnake03.JPG

Yeah, they (we) need to keep the lawns mowed around here.  This one was as thick as my wrist and about 3 feet long with  1 to 1 1/2 inch of rattles.

Where in VA. are you? I asked the neighbors around Emporia if I need to keep an eye out. They said the rattle snakes are up in the mountains to the west.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Good night!  I didn't know we had rattle snakes in Virginia.  Now I will be worried about digging through my brush pile. 

I did hit a copperhead with a zero turn mower, though.  I was chasing it around trying the pin the sucker's head with a tire to avoid hitting it with the blades.  It decided to board the ship and jump on the deck: I decided that was closer than I wanted to experience.  He jumped off, and I popped on the PTO

The snake died.

Ben W.

• Littledeere and robert_p43 have said thanks

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Watch the brush piles.  I have one but so far have only seen a big black snake come out of it.  I should keep it burned.

Their house is just west of the blue ridge mountains and the Shenandoah National Park.  they live on the west side of the road and the houses on the east side of the road have the park as their back yard.   Right after we saw the timber rattler, there is a mile of graveled road that is mostly park land on the east side.

We have an enclosed porch and my wife picked up a baby bird and wanted to nurse it so she put it in a box in the room and fed it for 2 days with an eye dropper.  My daughter went out and there was a black snake.  There is a open spot on one wall and a small hole in the floor by the door.  The next day, the snake had gotten the little bird.

I think I mowed a small copperhead our first year here but not sure.  I knew nothing about what snakes are here.

I know I don't relly want any snakes here!

#7 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Good night!  I didn't know we had rattle snakes in Virginia.  Now I will be worried about digging through my brush pile. 

I did hit a copperhead with a zero turn mower, though.  I was chasing it around trying the pin the sucker's head with a tire to avoid hitting it with the blades.  It decided to board the ship and jump on the deck: I decided that was closer than I wanted to experience.  He jumped off, and I popped on the PTO

The snake died.

Ben W.

Thank goodness Ben most of the time they stay on the mountian a friend of mine lived on the mountian 2 years ago brought one by in a 5 gallon bucket  it was 4 1/2 foot long it's head looked as big as my fist. don't know how old he was but they say they don't get that big very fast 

#8 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:52 AM

We have lots of blacksnakes here. Did have one copperhead that committed suicide with a 12 gauge last year though.

Ahhhh, lead poisoning !

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:58 AM

There are also Rattlers in Ky as well.  Been years since one has been spotted though.  Copperheads are more common here, as well as Cottonmouth.

#10 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:58 AM

I hate snakes lol, my dad tells me stories of when he was running a dozer in Florida back in the 50s, they would come in to work in the morning and beat on the tracks with a pipe to scare the snake out the machine, they would crawl up inside everything cause the machines stayed warm all night,,, he said nothing like working and having one come out between your legs once in a while ....

• olcowhand said thank you

#11 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Caught this one, the third one, awhile back. 4' and fat.

Attached Thumbnails

• rattlesnake1.jpg

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:00 AM

snakes l  would crawl up inside everything cause the machines stayed warm all night,,, he said nothing like working and having one come out between your legs once in a while ....

Snakes don't alarm me when I come across them in usual ways, but now THAT would sure mess up a good pair of my pants!!!!!!!!!!!

• Team_Green said thank you

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Did have one copperhead that committed suicide with a 12 gauge last year though.

>Tsk< Well, if his friends and family had been paying attention for signs of depression, they might have gotten him counseling before it was to late!

• UncleWillie and superaben have said thanks

#14 Team_Green ONLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Caught this one, the third one, awhile back. 4' and fat.

Nice belt right there....

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Nice belt right there....

I turned him loose about 15 miles from here. Non populated area.

• LilysDad said thank you