• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 01:22 PM

Put a LARGE clean catch pan under there! Just in case.

#17 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:22 AM

Good Morning and happy Turkey and Football Day!
I know you just cant wait to hear more of my Bolens saga. Well .... read on!
Although we had a bit of a blizzard going on it was warm last night (relatively) so I spent two hours in the unheated garage. I cleaned up the prior mess and bad attitude and carefully checked the hydro filter base for anything of interest. Nothing. Checked all the lines again....OK. I elected to put on the NAPA/WIX filter rated for hydro (see previous post). I prefilled it, lubed the gasket and the metal plate. Was absolutely accurate at tightening it to 3/4 turn. Put 4 litres of type F in the pump and put poly eveywhere. Also two clean bowls to recover what I could. I fired it up at low rpm and quickly jumped off to keep an eye on the under carriage. Let it run for five minutes....OK. Increased the RPM slowly.....OK. I lifted the rear end and got the drive train working as I chased the air out...OK. Went to full rpm .....OK. Now I thought maybe a good time to stop on a positive note. Couldn't do it! I was nervous about a test drive as by now it was dark and may not see if it blows! Well, I took it for a boot in the snow for a few tender moments. All good. Figured I should stop there. NOPE! I put the thrower back on (getting really fast at doing that now!) Tested it in the garage ....OK.

So how does the story end? Stay tuned as I have a bunch of snow to throw tonight! (yeah, I have a Honda thrower in my back pocket just incase)

Have a great day!

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Sounds like you may have got it fixed.
Keep us posted

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:53 AM

Happy turkey and football day to you too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Hope that did the trick.Good luck!

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Happy turkey and football day to you too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Hope that did the trick.Good luck!

:ditto:

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 09:44 AM

Sure hope you have it solved! I've been into many hydro units, but NEVER seen or heard of one blowing the filter seal. Always a 1st time for everything.

#22 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 12:39 PM

Story of my life olcowhand!

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 01:39 PM

When I was working on that GT5000, I vaguely remember 2 versions of the same filter, one that was OK for positive pressure & one that was ok for negative, Is is possible, the replacement was the latter?

#24 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 25, 2010 - 07:35 PM

Glad you got this under control.
Have you determined the root cause. Always like to know that so we can put the problem to rest.
In the fork lift industry we have seen the same issues and all of a sudden you see a filter recall. Warranty claims is what triggers it for us.
I use Fleetguard filters exclusively and have not had any filter issues to date. I have Cummins engines and all these hydros and they just keep on filtering. My ISB has 380,ooo plus and has not had the pan off yet. Thinking about sliding in some main and rod bearings but oil pressure is still fine and the puppy does not use any oil. 1.5 Qt/10,000. Ain't broke why fix.

Fleetguard has a 10 micron filter rated for 7-9 GPM that is a direct fit instead for the stock 20 micron.
Fleetguard uses a "Microfiber" technology that allows for the needed flow rate yet do the finer filtration.
Just remember you will have to change that 10 micron filter more often than the OEM suggests because you are going to collect a lot more dirt and wear particles than the 20 micron filter. I will buy filters all day instead of rebuilding hydros.

#25 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 08:05 AM

Good Morning!
I was going to attach a pic and let it do the talking but I keep getting errors when I choose computer as the location. I could upload to my home but not to attach. Be that as it may I will try to enter it in the tractor of the month area!
The NAPA hyrdo filter works! Man, was I nervous and it will take a bit to get my confidence back. Actually better I had this issue in the winter otherwise I probably would not have noticed till the unit ran dry.
What was learned? I beleive the filter that a machine shop put on was wrong although it lasted the summer fine. I did not ask it to be changed, the old timer just did it when I had it there for a bunch of welding and bearing replacement. Actually he did a bunch of bad stuff that he charged me for but that is a whole other saga. The Fram's which are on unit one and two must be borderline or simply wrong. Although unit two ran one in the summer it will be coming off immediatly! I would highly recommend the wix/napa hydro model as it is actually made to do just that. Also I learned that just cause a site says something is a match, you should check the specs. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, all the recommended part numbers had different specs when compared.
Now I must try to get this pic somewhere you can see it!

Have a great day!

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm just wondering after reading your thread went into the QT manuals and there was two different hyd units used ,Eaton uses what looks like an external spin on filter and a Sundstrand which has the filter screwed right on the hyd unit , how is yours mounted ?

#27 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Howdy,

I have the Eaton. The setup is exactly like a car. The mount is seperate from the pump/tran.

Regards,

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 09:39 AM

I believe all QT 17's had Eaton Transmissions in them.
Some of the QT16's used Sundstrand

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Specs for the Eaton has 140 +/- 50 psi on warm oil/full speed no load, now I can see why the filter could leak !!
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#30 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted November 26, 2010 - 03:50 PM

All the QT17'S used the eaton 11 and also the model QT16 model 1666-05 built in 1978 had the eaton.All the other model QS and QT's prior had the sundstrand model 15.