#1 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:17 AM

Good Day!

Jeez, another tough one for you guys! I am thinking the cold brought this on. I have blown two gasket seals on my hydro filter on a QT17. The first I thought was a fluke. Blew snow for about 5 minutes and next I knew all the fluid was on the ground. I replaced the filter with a nice new Fram and as soon as I drove it (3 feet) let go a blew atleast 4 litres on the ground. I am using type F auto trans as recommended. I am figuring I will have to wait till the spring as I dont have a heated garage, however does anyone have any suggestions? I put the filters on by hand and tighten them pretty good.

HELP!

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,690 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:35 AM

Are you sure the filter is the right size?
Did you oil the gasket before you put it on?
Is it possible there are bits of the old gasket still stuck on?

Thats about all I can think of...

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:41 AM

If your using type F auto trans fluid there's noway it'll be to thick.I live were it gets to -40 c in the winter -40 f and have never had problems due to the oil I use dextron auto trans.There's got to be a restriction somewhere ??in one of your lines ??? any flat or squashed spots.??Larry

#4 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 08:57 AM

The first filter that blew I did not put on and it was not a Fram. I did a search on the web with the original filter part number and a Fram replacement came up. (dont remember the number). This filter is on both of my QWT17's. Had no issues in the summer. I checked the contact points and was clean. I oiled the filter prior to as well. No squished lines. Also, worked fine till the gasket blew. When I put the new one on I ran the unit at 1/2 for a while and tried the lift. When I went to full rpm and put it in motion it blew. Does anyone have the Fram part number they use? Maybe wrong one? I cant get WIX up here.

Many thanks!

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 09:50 AM

I see that your location is wpg.Mines manitoba as well.The number of your filter I can't help you with.Wix filters are readily avaliable in Man.I get mine from I believe Piston ring.I do know any Shell bulk dealers handle wix as well.I'am not sure what make your tractor is but if the filter is blowing the gasket out there's got to be something restricting the oil passage.There should never be that much pressure in the filter,there not designed for much pressure.Make sure that your actually using a hydralic filter not a regular filter.Larry

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:26 AM

I'm no expert on hydrostats, but I'm gonna throw this out there anyhow and someone can correct me if I'm wrong (been wrong before!). There shouldn't be enough pressure in the filter circuit to blow a gasket. There will be some pressure to allow flow through the filter to be constant, but if there is a sticky valve or restriction somewhere that is backing pressure up into the filter circuit you'll blow that gasket out. Are you performing work when this happens, or is it just running? If it's just running, I would look at the pressure relief valve on the return line. Just my $.02. -Steve

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 10:29 AM

Out my way,you can get Wix at NAPA.

#8 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 11:30 AM

Every time it blows it makes a mess and costs a bit in fluid so I have only tested it once. When I replaced the first one that failed I was throwing at the time. When I cleanned up the mess and installed the fram it was fine idling. It blew again when I starting moving...about 3 feet! It comes out like a garden hose! In the quick trip back to the garage the first time, it still travelled fine and the lift worked. So I should not have high pressure at the filter? Damm, I had it singing like a choir in the fall. Is there a pressure adjustment anywhere? I really need to make sure I have the correct filter on there too.

Thanks!

#9 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 03:43 PM

If anyone could let me know what filter and part number they are using, it would be very appreciated! This is for a QT17....1666

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,690 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 04:38 PM

Sorry I cant answer your question .
Hopefully someone with a QT will be able to help you out

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Bobo,
I looked at the parts manual for your tractor. If you don't have a copy, it is in our manuals section at the link listed below.
QT17.pdf - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
The original Bolens part No. is 1726450. I used this in several online cross references to find that Fram, Wix, and Purolator all have direct crosses for it. I have listed the part No.'s below, but please verify that they are correct before you try them.
Fram: PH2844
Wix: 51307
Purolator: L10017 or L14670
Hope that this is a start for you anyhow.

#12 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 08:28 AM

WOW
Yesterday I spent a while researching the "correct" filter based on the Bolens part number 1726450 which is common across several models. What I found is confusion! There seems to be a choice of three and they all have different physical specs. FRAM PH2844 comes up on a search of the Bolens part number on filtersonline.com. On the WIX site depending on if you search the part number or the tractor model you get two different numbers. The most common on the web for Bolens is 51307. Funny as it is not rated for hydro yet is recommended if you have the Onan. They also list a 51410 that matches the tractor model if you have a Kohler and is rated for hydro. As mentioned the specs are different for everyone listed. The two wix have the almost the same specs except for burst which is 325 with the other 300. Fram listed few specs but the physical size (gasket) is different even though on all sites they say they are matches!

I am thinking over the years people have been replacing with what is available opposed to which is correct. I dont know if this will fix my gusher BUT it is interesting info regardless.

Have a great day and please comment!

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,690 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Yeah I did try and search for you yesterday, but all I got was confusion and different #'s and parts.
Hope you can fix your problem

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Here is the Fleetguard cross HF6096
http://www.cumminsfi...ssreference=yes

This is the same one Massey and Snapper use.

#15 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Here we go again. Just back from NAPA. Thanks for the info on WIX and NAPA. Yep, just drop the first digit off of WIX and that is the NAPA number. The guy behind the counter laughed and laughed when I said that Bolens uses the 51307 for hydro. After he stopped I bought two 51410 and one 51307. Of course it is freezing here with more snow on the way tonight but it is so hard to wait till spring! I will risk losing another 8 litres tonight with the new filter. If when it is running it did not function that would be better than it functioning properly except for the blood in the snow! (would make a nice submission though for a pic!)

Thank-you all very much!