7 replies to this topic

#1 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm not too traversed on the Speedex S series tractors as to their operational quarks and the ins and outs. But to get to it, I put a deck on my S18 I'm not entirely sure If it is correct. It does run and seem to me like this is correct but I wanted to be sure. Also when I run the mower it does cut the grass but I'm used to running a cub 100 where the mower blades sound like turbines what should I expect from the Speedex deck is it a fairly quiet deck? In running this one it just seems weak any advice or input on this.... The first picture is the deck disengaged...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:50 AM

I am guessing at this but the sound difference could be from the deck design, & type of blades. Not much more it could be, I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Dick

• Gfann said thank you

#3 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 12:45 PM

It looks like its setup right.  The decks are fairly quiet unless the bearings are getting worn.  The deck on your cadet probably has worn or loose bearinigs thats why it sounds like a turbine.   Hope this helps.              Stewart

• Gfann said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Cub decks spin alot faster and they have 3 spindles.The older CCO Timed decks are quiet.The square deck on my old S19 was a timed deck and it was very quiet.   

• Gfann said thank you

#5 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:03 PM

That

Cub decks spin alot faster and they have 3 spindles.The older CCO Timed decks are quiet.The square deck on my old S19 was a timed deck and it was very quiet.

That sounds good. That is my situation, it's an old square deck with the timing chain. It does cut the grass. It just feels weird I feel like it's not doing anything but when I look back the grass is cut. Quit is good though. With the cub cadet, I had to start wearing ear protection every time I used it. When I was done I could here that ringing 'c' sharp howl in my ears.
Did the square deck have any sort of wind baffles underneath or just the side panels with the opposing gaps. Each side of this deck has a panel, that is about 3/4th the length of the deck then a gap for grass discharge but the gap opening is reversed on each side, one is in the front and one is in the back. So the grass discharges on both sides.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Ya it should have a discharge on both sides.The old shaft drive decks only had 1 discharge hole.

Here's some very good info on Speedex tractors and attachments.

http://www.speedextr...com/Mowers.html

Manuals section here.

http://www.speedextr...torManuals.html

Is this like your deck?This one is in pretty good condition other than a little surface rust.But they didn't have baffles on the dual discharge chain drive decks.

Attached Thumbnails

• P5010001.JPG

• Gfann said thank you

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yep looks correct an the deck should have shoots like you said you got a rare or hard to find s 18 there i would love to get the deck on mine but dont need it cause the jds work alot better at 60 inch cut

• Gfann said thank you

#8 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ya it should have a discharge on both sides.The old shaft drive decks only had 1 discharge hole.

Here's some very good info on Speedex tractors and attachments.
http://www.speedextr...com/Mowers.html

Manuals section here.
http://www.speedextr...torManuals.html

Yea, that is just like it on the bottom.

Is this like your deck?This one is in pretty good condition other than a little surface rust.But they didn't have baffles on the dual discharge chain drive decks.