• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:20 PM

I will someday be adding rear PTO to my JBI Diesel (Hogzilla).  I am trimming my herd a little if I can find some buyers (NOT selling any Bush Hogs) and I want my JB Diesel to be my main workhorse for garden work.  That means it needs rear pto.  I had thought of building my own gearbox to reverse my rotation to match attachment rotation, and I had already gotten bearings, steel, and seals to do it, but just don't have the time.  I have the tooling to do it, but without the time, it'll never happen.

A while back I bought a NOS pto shaft for a John Deere 430 that will fit my Sunstar hydro perfectly.

shaft.JPG

Now I finally found a NOS gearbox I could afford.  It's the identical gearbox I used to install rear pto in my JBI with the Wisconsin twin TJD engine repower.  It should arrive Monday.

gearbox.JPG

I already dug through my inventory & have the pulleys I need to connect the power, being both twin groove 1/2" belt.  I also have a new greaseable pillow block bearing to support the end of the pulley shaft that will come off the hydro, similar to the pic below, but mine was actually made in the good ole USA!

Pillow-Block-Bearing-UCP206-UCF206-UCFL208-UCT210-.jpg

I even have a wide tensioner idler & bracket to tighten the belt to engage the pto.  I had thought of using an electric clutch, but if I go that route, lots of tension will be on the upper shafts bearing even when pto isn't running.  That would lead to early bearing wear, and likely also wear on the splines where the shaft fits on the hydro's output.

So all I can think of that I don't have is the V-belts, and I won't know what length I'll need until I get all components in place......plus I'm still short the time required.  I will have to kick back the rear chassis plate on the tractor to allow clearance for the pulley input on the gearbox, and with plow day coming, even if I had some time, I won't dare start this till after my plow day is over.  Who knows....might be winter, or even another year before I can get it done.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:45 PM

might be winter, or even another year before I can get it done.

Not to be sarcastic but I doubt that your going to have anymore free time then unless you plan on selling the farm. I can't see that happening so you might as well get started on it now. I'll bet it turns out real nice too.  :D

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Free time is getting harder to find every day!  And when I do get time to do as I please, I'm usually finding myself wanting to relax a bit, especially the last few weeks dealing with my shoulder pain.  But as to starting on it now, I want to, but it takes reworking the main rear plate of the tractor, which is what my 3 point lift all attaches to.  I doubt very much I could get it far enough along to where I could plow again.  Has to wait till after plow day, and maybe longer, as there may be someone else's plow day/days to go to.  Heck, what am I thinking.....I'll be lucky to have time to plow at my own plow day! 

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:03 PM

And when I do get time to do as I please, I'm usually finding myself wanting to relax a bit, especially the last few weeks dealing with my shoulder pain.

Unfortunately this get's harder to ignore as we get older. This is also the very reason I quit taking prescription pain killers for my back. I had to force myself to do anything. Now it's pain and age that's slowing us down. Hope your able to keep up the pace as knowing you, it will drive you nuts knowing your getting farther behind. Take care of that shoulder and allow yourself time for the rest you need and you will be better off in the long run.  

Have you ever thought about cutting back a little and maybe renting out some of the ag ground? Maybe a little at first and see how it goes for your. Farming the mailbox isn't all bad. I've come to kind of like it.  :smilewink:

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Unfortunately this get's harder to ignore as we get older. This is also the very reason I quit taking prescription pain killers for my back. I had to force myself to do anything. Now it's pain and age that's slowing us down. Hope your able to keep up the pace as knowing you, it will drive you nuts knowing your getting farther behind. Take care of that shoulder and allow yourself time for the rest you need and you will be better off in the long run.  

Have you ever thought about cutting back a little and maybe renting out some of the ag ground? Maybe a little at first and see how it goes for your. Farming the mailbox isn't all bad. I've come to kind of like it.  :smilewink:

Long as Dad is with me, it's farming as usual.  He needs the farm to keep going just like it is in order for him to keep going.  If we stopped what we're doing, he'd likely give up.  He hates it when it's too hot for him to work, or raining.  He can't stand sitting at home.  Besides, not enough acreage to get by renting our crop land.  Just 150 acres tillable.

I don't like pain killers.  Kills more than just pain.  Taken very few, and only from dental work.  Always made me sick in my stomach, and I can deal with pain better than a sick stomach.  Actually, the 1st one was almost fun....all the woozy doozy.  2nd one hit my gullet.  Tossed the rest & never want another if I can help it.

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:32 PM

I've been fortunate in that I've experienced no bad side effects other than being listless. 

With 150 acres I can see where it would be hard to rent. Also make it easier to understand why you have stuck with milking over the years. Can also understand where your Dad is coming from. If someone took away my reason for getting up I probably wouldn't. At least most days you enjoy what your doing and that helps a bunch.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'll be ready to lurk when you get going here, Daniel. I love fab threads, always something to learn and help me along at some point!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Daniel your PTO plan looks like a nice project. Sounds like a good winter job to me. Sometimes I think it's better to stay with a manual PTO clutch. The electric clutches are expensive and a source of problems. If the manual one breaks it's going to be fixable without any expensive, hard to find parts.

I find as I get older I am not as productive as I used to be and time becomes even more valuable. 

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:03 AM

For the time being, I'll just run my build plan through my head, in hopes it makes it goes smoother once I get started.  I also have to extend the OE John Deere shaft.  John Deere are always sneaky.  That shaft measures around .980", making only their pulleys fit, as a std 1" would be too loose.  I'll get around that when I extend it, by either boring it & the extensions centers, pressing in a centering pin, then welding, or turn an adapter that will fit the outside of both shafts.   These kind of things I can get done before the install.

As to the farm, we have 351 acres, but 200 is mostly steep hillside pasture & some also steep woodland.  

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Well, I "thought" I had the pulleys I needed, but turns out their ID's aren't 1" as I thought.  Just went to the shop & removed them from their present shafting.  Looking like another $60+ for 2 new pulleys, but the new ones will be better, as they are grooved for either 1/2 or 5/8 belts.  I'll be using 1/2", so this will allow belts to loosen & stay in the groove better when pto is not engaged.  Plus mine were marginal at making the correct rpm.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Trying to take it easy today, as next week begins a few weeks of non-stop silage chopping, but had to venture out a bit.  My inventory had an old driveshaft of some John Deere GT implement driveshaft that I won on a lowball bid on ebay.  I love getting inventory I might need later for cheap, so I'll put low bids in on several items, and sometimes ya win, most times ya lose.  But when you win, you get stuff for cheap.  This shaft has stood in the corner at least 3 years or so, but here I am in need of it.  It was a hollow tube shaft with a solid hex shaped shaft end with std GT pto splines on the end.  

I chucked it in my lathe & cut it down to 1", to fit inside the hollow output on the gearbox I have coming Monday.  Most of the shaft turned down fairly easily, but as I neared the spline end, it got so hard none of my tooling would touch it.  Had to use a grinder to finish the last 3/4".  Still have to cut the 1/4" keyway, but it doesn't have to reach the hard spot, so it should go ok.  Turned the butt end down so I could tap it to 7/8x14 threads for the retaining nut.  The remaining hex on the spline end will lock it against the gearbox hollow shaft.

Getting extremely humid out, so may cut the keyway another day.

DSC00054.JPG

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Decided to go back to the shop & cut the keyway.  Problem....my only 1/4" keyway cutter was damaged BAD last time I had to cut a keyway in a hardened shaft.  Thought I had another, but no.  So I figured what did I have to lose trying to hand sharpen it with a .045 cutoff wheel in my angle grinder.  Chucked it up in my lathe, then used the grinder to cut it back to square.  Then put it in the vise & backcut the angles, then cut the face of each tooth.  Boogered a couple, but tried it out.  It did a super job!  Need to get a new one soon anyway though.

DSC00056.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Funny you mentioned this as a couple of days ago I had to sharpen a 3/4" end mill. Haven't used it yet but I hope mine came out as good as yours.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:29 AM

No real time to work on any projects, but I did install my pto shaft into the reversing gearbox.  Fit like a glove!

DSC00063.JPG DSC00062.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looking good Daniel, I'll be watching and learning. You can sharpen any of your tooling by hand, just make sure you don't get it hot enough to pull the temper out of it. I know you know this, but for others reading this, if you get the tool hot enough to start to see a color change in the piece your sharpening, it's too hot and won't hold a sharp edge.

Very nice work my Friend !! :thumbs: