• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is my dad's Pioneer Red E that we pulled out of a collapsed barn in 2002. Some friends of my dad restored it the same year and it has been on show duty a few times but mostly sat in the garage. The piston, rod, and a few other parts are from a model T Ford engine. It came with a plow, cultivator, and disc. The sulky in the pics was built by the men that restored it and is used for putting around show grounds. We were told the round fuel tank and style of wheels makes it maybe a 1930 model. Most of the ones I have seen pics of were dark gray or dark green. This is one of the few I've seen that were red. We have been told that this might be the only one of these known to be below the Mason Dixon Line as most were sold in Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio.

I found a man in Wisconsin that gave us what little info we could find on these tractors. He also sold us the decals which he had reproduced. Two moves and a crashed computer later we have lost all his contact info. I know that back in 2002 he was the president of a tractor club up there and had several Red E's. If you are him and reading this please contact me!

This winter I'm bringing this over to my place to fix a small oil leak. I've been trying to trade dad out of it for years so maybe it will stay here but I don't think he is done playing with it yet. If anyone has any info on these tractors please share it because it sure is hard to find.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:14 PM

That is a very neat old tractor.  I have never heard of the brand.  Thanks for sharing!

Ben W.

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 01:29 AM

That's a nice looking rig you've got there!  I'm trying to remember the name of the club I think your talking about. Their is a couple of guys on here that are members of it. I'm sure one of them will come along shortly.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 06:12 AM

That's a really nice machine and I hope you find the person and info. you need to keep it in top shape. 

• OldAllis52 said thank you

#5 traktrjorj OFFLINE  

traktrjorj

• Contributor
  • Member No: 66
  • 45 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Contact Jim Cunzenheim, President of the VGTCOA (website). He will have info on the Red E. Yours is actually one of the later models the real early ones had a oval fuel tank. I have one like yours with a breaking plow. Mine also has 2  control handles., One for the  forward clutch and the other for reverse.

Attached Thumbnails

• 42 Pioneer  Red E.jpg

• Alc, sacsr, DB1 and 1 other said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,678 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Very informative thread OldAllis! It's intriguing how someone can take a few parts and design a running engine around it.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 01:46 AM

Very nice Red E you got there. You don't see many of them surviving for sure. :thumbs:

#8 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks to you all. I need to clarify something though. We were told the round fuel tank went into production about 1930 and all the ones built after that had the round tanks up until Pioneer started installing vendor engines. I should have said ours was a 1930 or newer but without a serial number list it is hard to tell the exact year.

The SRO officer I deal with on my job has a mid fifties Red E his dad bought new that I am trying to work a deal on. It has four wheels and tiller steering which is interesting. If the deal goes through I will surely post pics of that one as well.

• sacsr, DB1 and have said thanks

#9 DB1 OFFLINE  

DB1

• Member No: 7710
  • 272 Thanks
  • 282 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Here is a picture of a Red E with a really cool tank.

Attached Thumbnails

• red.jpg
  • red tank.jpg

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#10 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 11:09 AM

That is an early one but the tank looks like someone made it. The one I saw was a little different, the edges of the tank were rolled like the round tanks  but who ever built this did a good job.

• DB1 said thank you

#11 Standardtwin1 OFFLINE  

Standardtwin1
  • Member No: 50597
  • 41 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Here's one I had and restored from a junkheap These pictures are from my profile on another site.. It was early 1930's, and had wheel extensions on it. Had a bosch mag and Zenith carb on it..It used a Model T Ford connecting rod and piston and had external pushrods actuating solid brass rocker arms. It was worm gear drive, and only had a out or in clutch via a single lever on the handlebar. When it went in gear, you had to hold on for dear life. Sometimes I had to push it forward more while driving it to release the clutch. I actually put a kill switch on the handle as it would get stuck in gear, and you could not stop it. It was a beast to walk behind, and as it was worm driven, it would tend to steer one way or another depending on the terrain and give your arms a real workout, not even mentioning the vibration. It was a nice project, but not sorry its gone.....

100_0986.jpg 100_1171.jpg

• bread320i, DB1, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Welcome to the forums Standardtwin!

Here's one I had and restored from a junkheap These pictures are from my profile on another site.. It was early 1930's, and had wheel extensions on it. Had a bosch mag and Zenith carb on it..It used a Model T Ford connecting rod and piston and had external pushrods actuating solid brass rocker arms. It was worm gear drive, and only had a out or in clutch via a single lever on the handlebar. When it went in gear, you had to hold on for dear life. Sometimes I had to push it forward more while driving it to release the clutch. I actually put a kill switch on the handle as it would get stuck in gear, and you could not stop it. It was a beast to walk behind, and as it was worm driven, it would tend to steer one way or another depending on the terrain and give your arms a real workout, not even mentioning the vibration. 

That is a great looking restore. Sounded like it had a mind of its own when to stop and go.

#13 Standardtwin1 OFFLINE  

Standardtwin1
  • Member No: 50597
  • 41 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 05:39 PM

It had a lot of torque, and it would not allow the lever to uncouple the clutch if it was pulling and you just flipped the lever back. Nothing would happen. I had to push it forward more as it was moving to unlock the torque on the worm gear. What a beast :D

#14 michelle OFFLINE  

michelle

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'm jealous! I've been watching for one, even though I am not much for walk-behinds.