• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • Member No: 43536
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Here are some pictures to get things started.  I will get the manual out of my truck and let you know the exact year etc.. It came with a plow attachment so maybe they hurt the axle doing some plowing?

LGT145
IMG 0417 (800x600)
IMG 0416 (800x600)
IMG 0415 (800x600)
spindle shaft size

THe shaft size appears to be right at 3/4".  I wish I would have taken a picture before i cut the broken spindle and took the wheel off.  I bought the tractor at an auction last weekend for $475 with the plow attachment after my "John Deere" 130 lost compression a couple weeks ago.  I think I may have started a new obsession with these little tractors.  I already want an "open side".  I though mine looked awesome/nostalgiac until i saw some of your photos.

Edited by OhioLGT145, August 10, 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:20 AM

You did fine on your purchase, even with a bad spindle.  Looks to be in nice shape.  Those decks are hard to find looking as good as yours does.

#18 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Here is a close up of the part I need.  The spindle comes out of this elbow and extends through the axle and a pin holds it in place.  Welding is not an option as the elbow "rides" on the axle and anything in between them would cause problems.  I will check with the parts companies on this website Monday to tray and track this part down.  Cannot find anything online as of now.

IMG 0420 (1024x768)

If anyone knows of where I can get this part it would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking for an entire parts tractor too for future use.

#19 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Welcome to the site.  glad u found this place.  great bunch of folks here.  Sorry to read about the trouble with your tractor.  The fella here you want to see about parts is Mowerz.  He is one of this sites sponsers, and he is Joes Outdoor Power on that big sell urstuf site(ebay).  If he ain't got it, they did not make it.  Send him a pm and ask about your part you need.

#20 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk, its been one of the best places I've ever been to for info.

A quick thought,

If one is bad the other one is probably bad too. These things are usually best changed in sets.

Edited by Chopperhed, August 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#21 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:30 PM

welcome OHIO, did you find a spindle yet? i have an entire extra  front axle that has the spindle you need. send me a PM (Personal Message) with some info and I can ship it to you. You pay the shipping and it's yours.

Tom

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

You can have as much of this front end as you want, but its heavy so I suggest just both spindles.Your call

• olcowhand, tinbender7 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#22 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Now that is one awesome dude!  I can see my tractor rolling again soon!

P.S. I know there is a place to post this, but just as an FYI there is a rough ford lawn tractor for sale on Columbus Ohio craigslist.  Just search for Ford mower.  I think he is asking 150 if someone needs it for parts I bet he would deal.  I do not think it would help myself or any other LGT owners as it looks different.  The spindles are for sure not what I needed.

Edited by OhioLGT145, August 13, 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#23 Larry LGT 165 OFFLINE  

Larry LGT 165
  • Member No: 31177
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ditto on the above post, the spindles changed from opensided to closed sided. I believe opensided spindles, '72-'76 were 4" long where as the closed sided '77-'83 were 4.5" long. As replacements, the opensided offered hardened spindles as well as the regular spindles. A check of the parts manual would reveal if both were offered for the closed sided. The hardened spindles became necessary when a FEL was installed.

#24 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Well thanks to Tom I now have my tractor out of the side yard and rolling!  Cannot say thanks enough.  Now time to get back to work on it.  The thing needs a bath in a bad way.  I also noticed that it seems to flood out when idled up after a couple minutes.  If I cut the gas off it will smooth out for a bit until it burns up the extra gas.  The spark plug wire has a bad crack in it so I am replacing that.  Any other tips?

IMG 0460

#25 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Glad to read u got it rolling again! 

It sounds like the carb float might be sticking,maybe needs adjustment.    have u cleaned the carb yet? 

Edited by James henry, August 27, 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#26 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:37 PM

You're a good guy Tom!  Thanks for helping a fellow GT guy!

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#27 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well thanks to Tom I now have my tractor out of the side yard and rolling!  Cannot say thanks enough.  Now time to get back to work on it.  The thing needs a bath in a bad way.  I also noticed that it seems to flood out when idled up after a couple minutes.  If I cut the gas off it will smooth out for a bit until it burns up the extra gas.  The spark plug wire has a bad crack in it so I am replacing that.  Any other tips?

Check your oil! All that gas can get into the crankcase. And, instead of lubricating oil, you've got a cleaning solution in there! Your problem is most likely a stuck float valve. You can unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the carb for a quick check. But your carb really should be removed and cleaned!
And, I'd like to nominate Tom for Ford/Jacobsen forum Guy of the month!

Joe
  • KennyP, tinbender7 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#28 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Tom would get my vote for sure!

I'll check the float and carb tomorrow, as well as the oil.  Thanks for the tips.  I'll let you know what i find.  The previous owner said he cleaned the carb, but who knows.

#29 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:11 AM

If your rig has the "Walbro " carb, it most likely has a bad need and seat in it. This was a common issue with them.  Get a good rebuild kit(preferably Kohler original ) and give it a real good cleaning. Most of the time this works great.

And Kudos Tom , nice to have a helping neighbor!! Definate good guy award!!

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,643 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Way to go Tom, thanks for helping out. I'd be pulling the carb and looking things over, Might check the float for gas inside it too while you're there!