• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • Member No: 43536
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hello.  I am new to garden tractors and new to this forum.  Looks like a great place with very helpful members.  I recently bought a Ford LGT 145.  I think it is a 1980, but can double check the sales reciept if necessary.

About half an hour into my inital mowing and the Front Left axle spindle snapped in half.   Where can i find a replacement.  I ordered some used parts online that ended up being the wrong ones.  Any help would be more than appreciated.  Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:52 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.
Sorry to hear you had a weak axle, and the Ford guys will be along soon... would it be possible to shoot a couple of pics of the damage so we can see what's broke?
  • hamman said thank you

#3 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hello.  I am new to garden tractors and new to this forum.  Looks like a great place with very helpful members.  I recently bought a Ford LGT 145.  I think it is a 1980, but can double check the sales reciept if necessary.

About half an hour into my inital mowing and the Front Left axle spindle snapped in half.   Where can i find a replacement.  I ordered some used parts online that ended up being the wrong ones.  Any help would be more than appreciated.  Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Do you have a pic of your tractor that might help,I 'm parting a LGT 145 right now I may have the parts you need

And Wecome to GTTalk

Edited by Littledeere, August 09, 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, we are here to help in just about any way we can as long it deals with tractors. Not really we have a pretty knowledgeable group of members in many ways. Sorry about the problem so soon but we have numerous member with ford who would be more than happy to help you out.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, August 09, 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:31 PM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

#6 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Welcome OhioLGT145  !

There are a lot of great folks here who can help point you in the right direction. Sorry for your troubles with your new to you machine, that's a bummer for sure.

There are a couple of site supporters that part out machines , beyond the nice offer of JRJ.  Joe's Outdoor Power comes to mind, he's great to deal with by all accounts.....

Good luck!

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Welcome to the forum! That's a closed side Ford you have there! Maybe you should talk to Littledeere as he may have just what you need! We're a very friendly bunch here and willing to help any way we can. Possibly, one of the site sponsors might have a spindle for you. Which side broke?

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Welcome Ohiolgt145, hope you stay awhile. Lots of great people here. Lots of help also. By the way WE LOVE PICTURES OF YOUR TRACTORS!  Roger.

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:04 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome,Ohiolgt145. Is it possible to weld the spindle back together? If not I am sure one of the sponsors will be able to help you out. It might be a good idea to have a look at the other side, just to be sure you only need one. These are nice machines and worth putting a little $$ into. BTW, did any one mention we like :camera: ?

#10 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Welcome to gttalk! It's kinda rear for these spindles to break.
Does your tractor look like the one on the left or the one on the right?

.image.jpg

Joe

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to gttalk! It's kinda rear for these spindles to break.
Does your tractor look like the one on the left or the one on the right?

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Joe

His would be the one on the left, open side!

Edit: Boy did I get that messed up! Must have been a rough day!

Edited by KennyP, August 10, 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#12 OhioLGT145 OFFLINE  

OhioLGT145
  • Member No: 43536
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:57 PM

My tractor looks like the one on the right in the above picture.  I will get pictures first thing in the morning and post them.  I am blown away by how helpful everyone on here seems to be.  Thanks for all of your replies.  Pictures in the morning.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:48 PM

My tractor looks like the one on the right in the above picture.  I will get pictures first thing in the morning and post them.  I am blown away by how helpful everyone on here seems to be.  Thanks for all of your replies.  Pictures in the morning.

We here at GTtalk pride ourselves in being helpful & fast.  We're in love with our hobby, where many sites you find people who just seem to love themselves.  Glad you joined us & glad you like it here!

#14 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:49 PM

That's going to put me out I don't think there the same.But I'm not up on the Fords very well.Like was said before you might check with JOE'S there great to deal with

#15 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:21 PM

The one on the left (where you can see the round air cleaner) is referred to as an open side. It was made by Jacobsen (1970-1975). The one on the right, with the smooth sheet metal panels, was also made by Jacobsen (From 1976 to 1980) and is refered to as a closed side. Unfortunately, they were all called LGT followed by three numbers. They did change the front axel design between the two. The parts You got online were probably fron the earlier model.

Joe