LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone have experience with this product? I've had it for a long time and it works well for posting photos on here. Lately, it has begun this quirk. To resize, I must perform the operation three times. It did t6his once a long time ago and I fixed it but I don't remember how.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 05:47 PM

I used to use it many, many moons ago.
What are you using it for? Resizing?
If you're running M$ software, image resizer is better IMHO

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:12 PM

If you have window's 7..  Just open the picture with Paint and re-size it.  If it's any type of file you can 'Save As' a .jpeg to convert it to a preferable file type..  Done it with many pictures over the years and it works great to re-size/ crop/ edit them too!  **And it's FREE!

• JRJ said thank you

#4 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I've been using Irfanview for years with no issues with what I do. Did you get a bad upgrade?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:15 PM

LD, what OS are you using?

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I've been using irfanview for more years then I care to remember.  Resizing is a piece of cake with it.  I even have it installed on Linux.  So please explain exactly what you are doing (step by step) and the out come.  Also as Alan asked what OS are you running and what version of Irfanview are you using?

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I've been using Irfanview for years with no issues with what I do. Did you get a bad upgrade?

It probably happened when I lost my files and had to restore. Thanks to all but I don't want to switch, just fix it. I can go to Irf Support, but I know we have geniuses here.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:20 PM

It probably happened when I lost my files and had to restore. Thanks to all but I don't want to switch, just fix it. I can go to Irf Support, but I know we have geniuses here.

'WIzards' is a nicer word Rich..   Geniuses brings about negative connotations for sure!  IE-  Look @ that genius!!   :wallbanging:   You lost all your files?!?!  Dang!  Yet another reason to not use free external software..  We spoke about backups recently and this is why we need to make copies of everything..  Dang computers anyway!   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

The boys could have helped you better if you were able to ask how to avoid doing the 'Restore' to all the files and just the problem area in your registry..  I feel your pain pal..  Been down that road & lost many priceless pictures of my deceased sons which I will never get back taught me severely..  Make 2 (or three!) copies of everything!   :hitting_self_roller:

As far as repairing the IFR you could 'Uninstall' the software and re-install the program.  You would need to do this carefully as the 'install' may see old program files and skip writing the new code as you desire to replace the whole program.  I'm sure a real guru will pop in with another suggestion soon...  

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:24 PM

What did you restore from?  If it was a CD then you will likely have to redo the permissions on the files.  See my post and above and answer questions.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:29 PM

'WIzards' is a nicer word Rich..   Geniuses brings about negative connotations for sure!  IE-  Look @ that genius!!   :wallbanging:   You lost all your files?!?!  Dang!  Yet another reason to not use free external software..  We spoke about backups recently and this is why we need to make copies of everything..  Dang computers anyway!   :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

The boys could have helped you better if you were able to ask how to avoid doing the 'Restore' to all the files and just the problem area in your registry..  I feel your pain pal..  Been down that road & lost many priceless pictures of my deceased sons which I will never get back taught me severely..  Make 2 (or three!) copies of everything!   :hitting_self_roller:

As far as repairing the IFR you could 'Uninstall' the software and re-install the program.  You would need to do this carefully as the 'install' may see old program files and skip writing the new code as you desire to replace the whole program.  I'm sure a real guru will pop in with another suggestion soon...  

This is a long complicated story, that I don't fully understand. I made a backup disc and put it back to factory settings. Then was unable to install from the disc. It took a tech support(a good one) a couple of hours to get the machine useable again. It is now operating on Windows 9. The Irfanview i9s the latest edition-4.36.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Windows 9?  Do you mean 8?  Ok so you restored from a CD I assume from your post.  Have you checked the permissions on the files you are trying to resize?  The should be set to read / write but coming off a CD they usually are set to read only.  If you do a resize can you do a save as and save the file?

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:46 PM

I use IrfanView too, but I don't claim to know how to operate it beyond the save as function.  It works great for reducing the file size on pictures.

Ben W.

#13 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:17 PM

I use win 7, can't say anything about anything after that.

I'm using V 4.35.

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Windows 9?  Do you mean 8?  Ok so you restored from a CD I assume from your post.  Have you checked the permissions on the files you are trying to resize?  The should be set to read / write but coming off a CD they usually are set to read only.  If you do a resize can you do a save as and save the file?

Mostly I use it with an SD card from my camera.

Yes WIN8. I had 7 and upgraded during the repair.

Edited by LilysDad, August 09, 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#15 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Irfanview is good but I like 20/20 viewer from Light Technologies

it is free and work better and does more than Irfanview

it was made back around 1999 and it is still better than a lot of others

support stopped around 2002

but when you have a great product it does not need support - it just work

been using it at work and work since 2000 

you can download it from 

http://www.sofotex.c...nload_L230.html

sorry it is for Windows only - all version

20/20 is an image viewer, screen capture and annotation application. It is also capable of creating slide shows, generating thumbnails, and creating muted backgrounds for web pages and stationery and a lot more

it worked with a lot of different cameras and scanners I have installed and used for over 20 years

it also imports a lot of different file formats 

yes I have used Irfanview since it came out and always went back to 20/20 - because Irfanview did not work right for what I wanted/needed