• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:52 AM

For two days President Truman waited for Japan to surrender. The Japanese Mititary wanted to fight to the death of everyone in Japan. The President ordered the second nuke. Japan waited 6 more days to surrender. POW Camp commmanders had been ordered to kill all prisoners when the Allies landed on the home islands. The order to surrender saved those POW lives. I knew one of them. The Japanese Military murdered, burned, and raped their way across Asia yet they claim we were uncivilized to nuke them.

They deny: their aggression, the rape of Nanking, gassing Chinese cities, kidnapping and holding 100,000 Korean women for their men, Pearl Harbor, the Bataan Death March, the murder of hundreds of thousands of POWs, and numerous other atrocities. Too many brain dead bleeding hearts think that we were the bad guys. I wish there was away for them to live under an AXIS ruled world. They would be punished for even complaining.

The US was not prepared for war when the Japanese sneak attack on Peal Harbor. Be glad that the greatest generation was lucky and tough enough to keep our country and allies intact. Take a moment to thank them. Be very skeptical about critical stories of our mens behavior. Some is true but isolated. Under the stress and fatigue of combat you become very numb and may do things that are appropriate only in the situation that you are in. Unless you've been there, you have no right to judge!

Good Luck, Rick

• jms180, hamman, MFDAC and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:57 AM

AMEN, BRO.

• TerryD and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:04 AM

I saw on the news last night where a home owners association is threatening to fine an older couple x number of $ per day for flying the Stars & Stripes from their house. It is against their HOA rules. How sad. Even sadder, the guy is a WWII vet and the HOA is in violation of H.R. 42 passed in 2006.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:16 AM

People like that HOA need to have some sense knocked into them. Unfortunately, it will have to be a complaint filed to the police. A local VFW could sue also. Good Luck, Rick

• TerryD said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I was in Nagasaki a few days after the anniversary of the bombing. The mood was cool to say the least. There were still examples of the devastation left as a reminder that this should never happen again. Given the options available at the time I can't see that we had any choice but to use what ever means we had at hand to end the war.

I think it would be unfair though to blame the today's citizens of Japan for the actions of their forefathers. The time I spent there in the 1970's will always be a good memory as the people were very friendly and made my stay very enjoyable.  

We need to remember these happenings so they will never occur again.

• TerryD, boyscout862 and Sandburr have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Nagasaki? I thought that was a flaming cheese that the Greeks make!

Now that I got that out, I understand and appreciate your sympathies. However, I'm sure you realize that it's no good to express prejudice to modern day Japanese for the actions of their Grandfather's. Our ancestors have done some boneheaded things, too(and still do) that I don't agree with and wish not to be blamed for.

I hope this doesn't start a flame war. As I said, I completely agree with your words about that time period.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nobody should be blamed for their parents actions. What gets me is people that try to rewrite history to make the US the bad guys. The thing the Japanese government has done is to coverup all they can and refuse to teach their people what they did in WWII. My sister visited the Arizona memorial years ago. A Japanese family was picnicing on the lawn. They only knew that there had been a battle there.

Thirty years ago the Germans made a big push to deny the holocust. I mentioned it to a friends father. I knew him for 36 years, this was the only time I saw him mad about something. He had been an infantry squad leader in Europe. He said " It happened, I was the first man into two of those camps." Now that he and other witnesses have died we can expect to see history rewritten.

Edited by boyscout862, August 09, 2013 - 11:54 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Which man?  It is the one making money off the wars.

The NAM was an impossible situation. Early on, permission from the White House was needed to return fire when US forces were attacked. To many rules to protect the NVA and VC, and leaders still fighting like WWII.  A few months of stress like that and its no wonder that some guys went crazy. When I was trying to join in 69, a friend(WWII infantry recon SGT) warned me that the only way to survive was to kill them all. It took 4 years to get waivers for me to join. I did not go overseas but served with alot of vets. When drinking they'd loosen up with stories.

I think that the Bush wars are worse than NAM and the vets get even less benefits now. We have a great country but our leaders haven't lived up to their jobs in 50 years.

Edited by boyscout862, August 09, 2013 - 03:39 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Guys, I am one of the biggest advocates of the "Remember History or Repeat It" schools of thought and the rewrites on our history books, the SCOPE stuff, all fry my fanny like few other things can...

All that being said... this is starting to get a little political... and all of us mods are watching not because we disagree, but because we have to keep things on the straight and narrow. This is a GT forum and while there is an Off topic section, please keep politics out of it... I'd hate to have to lock another thread.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Though I can agree with some of what has been said here, if we have to we will 'nuke' this thread. Keep it civil and non political!

#11 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:25 PM

On one of my trips to Germany, I was able to visit Dachau. If you ever think the holicost didn't happen just take a trip to one of the remaining camps.

As soon as walk through the gate you can feel the victims crying out to you. And yes the gas chambers look like showers.

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:08 PM

The moderators are right. I for one was pushing the limits of this forum. Sorry. 

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 12:32 AM

On one of my trips to Germany, I was able to visit Dachau. If you ever think the holicost didn't happen just take a trip to one of the remaining camps.

As soon as walk through the gate you can feel the victims crying out to you. And yes the gas chambers look like showers.

My Mom remembers the bombing in Holland.. She was 4 when it all started.. 

There is a list of companies that built stuff for the war.. I will use Stuff to describe it all cause its come Who made the "showers" to cars and jeeps.. So many companies that are still going that only survived due to the earnings off the war.. It happens every time. 

• Amigatec and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:36 AM

My Mom remembers the bombing in Holland.. She was 4 when it all started.. 

There is a list of companies that built stuff for the war.. I will use Stuff to describe it all cause its come Who made the "showers" to cars and jeeps.. So many companies that are still going that only survived due to the earnings off the war.. It happens every time.

That is so true. The front landing gear on Fifi the B29 was built by Chevrolet.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:53 AM

I'm somewhat of a WWII buff, and I can assure you war is nasty business. In the end there are no winners.

I spent 27 months in West Berlin. When the Russians got to Berlin, they were not happy. They lost 2 Divisions taking the city, they basically just started leveling it block by block, there wasn't a lot of "old" Berlin left. After the war there some secret research building in Berlin that had very thick walls and was going to be trouble to destroy, so the Allies covered it up with all the debris from the war and built a Radar/Listening station on top, so we could spy on the Russians.

The Russians buried over 35,000 soldiers that died during the assault.